Undergrad Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nfarstad18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have some experience in research lab, really only about 6 weeks worth of some molecular bio based research at the community college I am currently in - nothing exciting.

I am transferring to a 4 year university and am wondering what kind of research is most beneficial? I want to do something involving proteomics or disease, something of that nature, but would like some guidance if there is any kind of research that looks especially good on resumés, or tips to maximize what you put into the research.

Members don't see this ad.

My impression has been that research of most sorts is a positive. Attempting to decipher between the benefits of plant genetics and fire ecology for a future physician is probably diminishing returns. Choose a field that interests you and pursue it with all your might. You may just discover your future medical specialty along the way (or general direction, perhaps).

Short answer IMO is to spend time in your lab of interest a lot learning and asking questions. If you can get a long-term independent project of some sort to work on (e.g. thesis, publication, presentation), that will be very beneficial because it will make you have to understand the work you do in the lab and the process of how to test a hypothesis.

In the end, none of that matters if you don't take the opportunity to explore a field of interest, which is ultimately is up to your choosing. I'm not sure what would be considered "cutting-edge" because every field has its hot topics. But at the very least it's recommended to find a field that is hypothesis-drivien, which the basic sciences are.

EDIT: Agree to some extent with above poster but even that can look interesting -- in the end it depends on your dedication to the work. Med schools care about the process of research and what you learned if anything!

As a last suggestion, maybe look to courses you liked or current news you find interesting for ideas?