Undergrad research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

bkdavis

My pre-med advisor suggested that under-grad research will help in getting into med school. He said that 100% of those who did research last year were accepted from our university. How do Osteopathic schools view research? (I have the opportunity to work on some animal cloning next semester- should I take it?)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Adam,

Just noticed you didn't have any replies and thought I'd give you my opinion. Although I really don't know what the official opinion of DO schools is, I think it can only help you to do research. While many DO schools don't have a lot of research themselves to offer now, many are trying to increase these opportunities, and I think they all recognize the value of your having research experience--it requires you to dealve deeply into a scientific problem, learn the literature, and think critically.

So I think research can only be a plus for you. Now the real question is...do you personally want to do research? I have been doing research for several years now and have discovered it is not what I want to do full-time. But I have enjoyed it and have learned a lot from it. So if you think you might like it, go for it. But if you think it will be a torture for you and you're only doing it to try to get into med school, then I would just do something clinically-related that you'd enjoy more.

Hope this helps a bit. Good luck!

I agree. If you have the opportunity to do some research, I would take it. This can only help your application and make you stand out, especially if you publish. At my last interview, we talked about my research for practically the whole time. Needless to say I got in. So I would definitely say go for it.

I interviewed at 3 DO schools this fall and asked how each school regarded research and whether or not there were opportunities to do this at the schools. I have done some reasearch so I was curious. Two of the schools were fairly enthusiastic about it, and the third... One of the interviewers said in a very snotty voice(and these are his exact words), "This is a DO school, not an MD/PhD program." First of all, that wasn't what I was asking about. Second of all, what a jerk! Needless to say that when that school's accept came, I immediately declined it.