Undergrad School in Indiana

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wannabedoc2021

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a freshman pre-med/biology major at Ball State University. As of now I have a 3.7, however I am fairly worried about doing my undergrad here. Primarily because I have not heard anything about our pre-med program. The only thing I know is that graduates from Ball State have about a 60% of getting into a medical school. I was accepted into IU Bloomington but didn't go because I didn't like the campus, and as weird as it sounds, Ball State felt much more like a home to me. I am now thinking about transferring to IU but, not if I don't need to. I have heard that the school you chose to do undergrad at doesn't matter, however would I have a better chance of getting in if I went to IU? I mean Ball State is a research school, I could do research, a hospital sits right down the street so I can volunteer and work there as an undergrad. IU is also a research school, just a lot bigger than Ball State. Anyone have any opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

You're good. For one, 60% from your school is higher than the overall rate of admission to med school, which I think is around 40%. If it feels like home to you, you'll probably do a better job in your classes, which is the most important factor in getting into med school.

Reactions: 1 user
It's what you make out of your experience! Do not transfer if you enjoy the school you're at right now.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I completely understand why you didn't like IUBs campus. Parking is atrocious/nonexistent unless you're a professor/AI :eek: Especially down at the Jacobs music buildings, nowhere to park during classes and rehearsals! :confused:

You'll be fine at Ball State, especially if it feels like your home. No need to rip yourself away from what you say feels like home for this, and 60% is nothing to scoff at. You also may do some damage to your app by moving if moving would affect your mentality and ability to succeed, but I don't know what support systems you have in place for that stuff.

I am a freshman pre-med/biology major at Ball State University. As of now I have a 3.7, however I am fairly worried about doing my undergrad here. Primarily because I have not heard anything about our pre-med program. The only thing I know is that graduates from Ball State have about a 60% of getting into a medical school. I was accepted into IU Bloomington but didn't go because I didn't like the campus, and as weird as it sounds, Ball State felt much more like a home to me. I am now thinking about transferring to IU but, not if I don't need to. I have heard that the school you chose to do undergrad at doesn't matter, however would I have a better chance of getting in if I went to IU? I mean Ball State is a research school, I could do research, a hospital sits right down the street so I can volunteer and work there as an undergrad. IU is also a research school, just a lot bigger than Ball State. Anyone have any opinions?

Previous IU student here, class of 2016. Anyways, I think either school you go to is fine. In terms of IU, I can say that they have excellent Chem. and Biology Professors, along with some pretty state-of-the-art facilities. If you choose to go there, I think you will be impressed with the learning experience and also receive great LOR's in the meantime. However, If you're more comfortable at Ball State then you're chances of doing well are greater there. I would say stick to what you know and if you do decide to go to IU it's a great school that is very friendly and receptive.

Previous IU student here, class of 2016. Anyways, I think either school you go to is fine. In terms of IU, I can say that they have excellent Chem. and Biology Professors, along with some pretty state-of-the-art facilities. If you choose to go there, I think you will be impressed with the learning experience and also receive great LOR's in the meantime. However, If you're more comfortable at Ball State then you're chances of doing well are greater there. I would say stick to what you know and if you do decide to go to IU it's a great school that is very friendly and receptive.
I loved IU:biglove:

I went to a very reputable IVY and our accept rate to med school is 80%. So 60% is extremely decent

Ah hoosiers land of the corn, haha! Anyways you don't need to transfer to IU I asked this awhile ago some of my buddies go to your school though haha I was thinking about transferring there but don't know to many people that go to IU personally.

Edit: I do believe IU does hold some seats for IU grads don't quote me on that though.

Last edited:
You do NOT need to be a student at a research-based school to do research there. Just email PIs there. My school isn't a research-based school so research was hard to get into, so I branched out and found one at a research-based school. Plus, if you volunteer and like it, you might even get promoted to a paid position! I could have gotten a paid position, but I refrained from doing so because that would mean getting assigned my own project and I realized my interests lie elsewhere, so to keep the lab from being damaged by a project that wasn't completed, I stayed along as a volunteer researcher until I found a paid position in a lab that I am interested in.

The lab I'm in, the PI is getting millions in grant money and did not have enough staff to work on all the projects so getting into one was easy.

Dude Letterman went to Ball State. You're fine