undergrad school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dvilla56

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone. i'm planning on applying to pharm school in a couple of months. i've been doing some research on what schools look at but i'm sure most of you know a lot more than i do. so i'm a senior at johns hopkins university and i have a 3.3 gpa, which is lower than average of applicants. i was just wondering do u think my gpa will carry a little more weight because i go to a prestigious uni like hopkins or do they just want the highest gpa's? thanks for the input.

Members don't see this ad.

i think your undergrad school, combined with a great recommendation from a professor, carries some weight to where you want to apply for school.

dvilla56 said:
hey everyone. i'm planning on applying to pharm school in a couple of months. i've been doing some research on what schools look at but i'm sure most of you know a lot more than i do. so i'm a senior at johns hopkins university and i have a 3.3 gpa, which is lower than average of applicants. i was just wondering do u think my gpa will carry a little more weight because i go to a prestigious uni like hopkins or do they just want the highest gpa's? thanks for the input.

I think that most schools will look at the quality of the undergraduate institution. I graduated from Rice with a history degree 14 years ago and a similar GPA (3.3-3.4), and I got interviews at all but one of schools to which I applied (oddly enough, Howard). I took my science prerequisites at community college this past year with a 4.0, and I got a 99th percentile on the PCAT.

So basically, if you went to a prestigious college and have the PCAT score to match, I think that it makes up for a slightly lower GPA. The biggest obstacle I faced was actually the community college classes, even though most of my professors were wonderful (and a few were dreadful). Again, the PCAT score helped.