undergrad school

Started by dvilla56
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dvilla56

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey everyone. i'm planning on applying to pharm school in a couple of months. i've been doing some research on what schools look at but i'm sure most of you know a lot more than i do. so i'm a senior at johns hopkins university and i have a 3.3 gpa, which is lower than average of applicants. i was just wondering do u think my gpa will carry a little more weight because i go to a prestigious uni like hopkins or do they just want the highest gpa's? thanks for the input.
 
i think your undergrad school, combined with a great recommendation from a professor, carries some weight to where you want to apply for school.


dvilla56 said:
hey everyone. i'm planning on applying to pharm school in a couple of months. i've been doing some research on what schools look at but i'm sure most of you know a lot more than i do. so i'm a senior at johns hopkins university and i have a 3.3 gpa, which is lower than average of applicants. i was just wondering do u think my gpa will carry a little more weight because i go to a prestigious uni like hopkins or do they just want the highest gpa's? thanks for the input.
 
I think that most schools will look at the quality of the undergraduate institution. I graduated from Rice with a history degree 14 years ago and a similar GPA (3.3-3.4), and I got interviews at all but one of schools to which I applied (oddly enough, Howard). I took my science prerequisites at community college this past year with a 4.0, and I got a 99th percentile on the PCAT.

So basically, if you went to a prestigious college and have the PCAT score to match, I think that it makes up for a slightly lower GPA. The biggest obstacle I faced was actually the community college classes, even though most of my professors were wonderful (and a few were dreadful). Again, the PCAT score helped.