Undergrad student looking for advice on Top PsyD programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmiller1998

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am currently in undergrad and with some thinking, I have decided that I want to become a clinical psychologist and apply to PsyD programs soon. I know that many Ph.D programs have less debt, and some none.. but this is a personal choice I have decided to make. What are some of the best PsyD programs in the United States? And if you attend them, if you could let me know how the school is and what the stats to get in are. If you don’t mind leaving your thoughts below, that would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What is the personal choice? What is the reason to restrict to so few possible matching programs and not also consider clinically focused PhDs? This is like asking for mortgage quotes, but saying that you're only looking at rates above 7% because of personal choice.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In addition to Baylor and Rutgers, I've heard good things about the Indiana State program, at least in the past. The PGSP-Stanford consortium is supposed to be a good program, but it's very expensive. I also agree with the posts above in terms of restricting yourself to only Psy.D. programs.

Reactions: 1 users
The top PsyD programs like Baylor and Rutgers tend to be fully funded and admission criteria such as previous research productivity is often as tough if not tougher than some funded clinical or counseling psych PhDs.

After that small top tier of funded PsyDs, you have a handful of good but absurdly expensive self-pay programs or decent partially funded programs, and then a whole host of ok-ish to terrible self-pays.

You posted about psychiatry vs psychology before here. Unfortunately, many PsyD programs are like the Caribbean med schools or brand new DOs popping up with overly large cohorts, poor student outcomes and way too high tuition. While you can likely get your degree and end up in practice, nobody should be jumping up and down for these opportunities and not especially as a first choice IMO.

Reactions: 3 users