undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrJosh9788

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
to what degree does the reputation of your undergrad institution matter for admission?

Members don't see this ad.

I imagine it has some minor affect in the decisions that they make, but I couldn't tell you for sure.
In schools that use a definite calculation of your applicant score *based on GPA/DAT/LOE/interviews), it won't affect you at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
there aren't many students from top schools. UCLA, Duke, Brown, and Penn seem to crank out more applicants. I very rarely see schools like Dartmouth, Yale, and Princeton. I have yet to see Cal Tech and Stanford. If you're from one of these schools, I'm sure you'll be snagged up fairly quickly.

But it can't matter much when there are no applicants from those schools. Schools'll settle for what they can get.

I've heard that if you're from a good 4-year private institution with a decent GPA you'll be preferred over someone with 4.0 from CC. But I'm not sure how individual private institutions would be compared by the admissions...

I've heard that if you're from a good 4-year private institution with a decent GPA you'll be preferred over someone with 4.0 from CC. But I'm not sure how individual private institutions would be compared by the admissions...

Can anyone realistically go to only a CC and get in? just wondering...