Undergrads interested in MD/MBA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mward04

SDN Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Partner Organization
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've had numerous undergrads contact me about how to prepare for an MD/MBA program. What advice would you guys give them?

Incidentally, I'm migrating the MD-MBA.org website to a new server, so it will probably be down for about a day or two.

Members don't see this ad.

Alright...no one said a thing, so here's my $0.02!

On one hand, my inclination is to tell undergrads to relax, that it's not that big of deal, to worry more about getting into medical school more. HOWEVER...I think back to my undergrad days (uphill both ways in the snow) and I can't help but think how I could have positioned myself better. Now, keep in mind, this is coming from a pre-med/non-business school student's perspective. Some of the things I'm going to mention below I did, and some I didn't.

*Take a couple business classes i.e. accounting, finance etc. Honestly, I don't think you need to be a BBA. This is the time to diversify and do the things you'll never be able to do again.
*INTERNSHIP!!! Work experience is incredibly important, the more you have and the more responsibility you have, the more doors will open.
*Read! Get a grasp of what you want to do with the dual degree. Then, read what others are doing. Gee...why do you think I put all of this stuff on my website???
*Speak with people who are using the two degrees, find out their thoughts/advice. This is also a great way to network

If you have more time than this on your hand either you aren't a real pre-med student or you've got no life and you should reprioritize your life :laugh: Just kidding. But hopefully this will stimulate some chatter.

Can I even get a job in the business world without a business degree? I'd like to do at least a summer internship, but as a history major, it seems like I'd be out of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
IndyZX said:
Can I even get a job in the business world without a business degree? I'd like to do at least a summer internship, but as a history major, it seems like I'd be out of luck.

Definitely! I was a neuroscience major with zero business experience. I went in telling everybody that I wanted to learn about "healthcare business." I met a lot of resistance but eventually I found a physician working as the Chief Medical Officer at United Healthcare and she gave me an opportunity. That's all it takes is one opportunity.

The bar may be higher because you don't have the help of your business school but you may have friends in the business school who could help. Definitely access their help.

Thanks for the response.

You said that you "went in telling everybody"... what do you mean exactly? How did you find the people to approach and where did you start looking?

Indy -
If you're willing to work for free, there are countless opportunities out there for you. Very few organizations will turn down an eager student who will work their ass off for peanuts. I got an internship at a private non-profit this summer simply by emailing the executive director and telling him of my desire to be a summer intern. Out of 8 directors that I emailed, only 1 turned me down, while 5 would take me for free and 2 would even cover my cost of living (read: pay me dirt). Don't only look for established programs - feel free to take the intiative to personally contact business owners and executive directors.

Cool, thanks.

How about economics classes rather than actual business classes in the business school? I am actually considering doing a double major with one being econ mainly because it appeals to me. Or would it still be better to take business classes? And how many would show a significant amount of study in business for these programs?

IndyZX said:
Thanks for the response.

You said that you "went in telling everybody"... what do you mean exactly? How did you find the people to approach and where did you start looking?

What I was referring to when I said: "went in telling everybody" was the people I met with while trying to find a position.

I did just what SandiegoSOD did, I cold-called people and told them what I wanted. Unlike him, I got much less of a response...I was looking for paid. But that's exactly how you do it. You find something that looks interesting, see if they have an established program, if they don't, contact the highest person up the totem pole and speak to them. Working for free is definitely easier, but it doesn't necessarily mean that you have to. If that's the only way you can get in the door, then so be it. But if nothing is mentioned, go, meet the person and if you get the position you can always say "I'd like to speak about compensation" The worst that can happen is that they say "sorry we can't" and you STILL end up working there.

youngin said:
How about economics classes rather than actual business classes in the business school? I am actually considering doing a double major with one being econ mainly because it appeals to me. Or would it still be better to take business classes? And how many would show a significant amount of study in business for these programs?

My understanding is that the econ will give you the theory but the business classes will give you more practical knowledge. Any one else out there got any advice?

would a minor in healthcare management help? I'm taking Healthcare in America course at school this fall(Georgetown). However, Gtown doesn't have a real healthcare management/administration department. I know University of Pennsylvania has an interschool minor in healthcare management and biological basis of behavior, so I'm definitely planning to apply there for transfer, as this is really what I want to study(in addition to the fact that it seems to mirror the MD/MBA, which I didn't even know existed until recently this year), although another reason is that i'd like to take a few bioengineering courses, and Gtown doesn't have an engineering school.

JRJ26 said:
would a minor in healthcare management help? I'm taking Healthcare in America course at school this fall(Georgetown). However, Gtown doesn't have a real healthcare management/administration department. I know University of Pennsylvania has an interschool minor in healthcare management and biological basis of behavior, so I'm definitely planning to apply there for transfer, as this is really what I want to study(in addition to the fact that it seems to mirror the MD/MBA, which I didn't even know existed until recently this year), although another reason is that i'd like to take a few bioengineering courses, and Gtown doesn't have an engineering school.

what is your longterm goal? to do the md/mba? what year are you?

youngin said:

I was an econ major in college and a business minor as I switched majors from chemistry my soph year and becoming a business major entailed TOO many pre-reqs so I just went for the minor. Econ will help you more with theory but you usually take business classes. It does help with over business knowledge though. I think I was fine with my business minor. I know quite a few people who were bio/econ majors in college. I was impressed two VERY different curriculums. I am currently halfway done my MBA with health care concentration and when I'm done I will be starting my prereqs for med school! :)

mshheaddoc said:
I am currently halfway done my MBA with health care concentration and when I'm done I will be starting my prereqs for med school! :)

you're a glutton for punishment...

mward04 said:
you're a glutton for punishment...

:) Path less traveled! Not my choice though ... too late to try to transfer the credits into another program ... although it would be nice! Plus I don't want to have to rely on getting into a "Particular" med school b/c I don't know if it would happen.

Guess I should also mention I work full time too while going to school full time now.

mward04 said:
what is your longterm goal? to do the md/mba? what year are you?
I'm an incoming freshman at Georgetown. I've been interested in the MD/MBA for a few months now, but I've been interested in medicine and businesss for a few years, before I discovered the MD/MBA. I always was conflicted over medicine and business, and always thought that I would have to choose b/w them(my parents trying to push me towards medicine). However, w/ the MD/MBA, I can study both for both professions. Ultimately, I would like to practice, however I'm also interested in hospital administration or work w/ an HMO.
For undergraduate, I'm going to Georgetown as a psychology major. However, I would also like to study healthcare management(not really to have a little background for the MD/MBA, but that I REALLY want to study it). However, Gtown doesn't really have a department,major or minor in healthcare management. So, I'm taking Healthcare in America this fall, as well as an orientation seminar in diagnosing and treating the sick american healthcare system. Now, I'm really thinking about applying to transfer to Penn, as they have the interschool minor in healthcare management and BBB. I also want to take courses in bioengineering, and Gtown doesn't have engineering courses. This is ultiamtely what I'd like to do for undergraduate. If the transfer doesn't work out, I also have guaranteed transfer admission to Cornell for Fall 2005, and I'd continue there, in a stronger science environment, as well as taking bioengineering courses as well as business courses(though they don't have healthcare management, sigh).

What type of classes would you think would be nececessary to take in college to be ready for the GMAT and score high?

youngin said:
What type of classes would you think would be nececessary to take in college to be ready for the GMAT and score high?

My experience with GMAT is that its mostly classes I took in high school for quantative portion; algebra, geometry, very little calc. Statistics classes in college helped me out at lot.

Verbal is mostly english classes from high school as well. But some writing classes in college will help you.

You need to know where you're strengths and weakness are. I knew I was weak in verbal, concentrated on that, although I reviewed thoroughly in quantative skills too. I ended up geting 70% on verbal and only 50% which is completely BACKWARDS from how I had done on ALL standardized testing in my life. Additionally I got a lower score then all my prior practices tests. I was disappointed, but I got in to my school so I didn't care.

I used princeton review and studied on my own. Didn't do that bad.

mshheaddoc said:
My experience with GMAT is that its mostly classes I took in high school for quantative portion; algebra, geometry, very little calc. Statistics classes in college helped me out at lot.

Verbal is mostly english classes from high school as well. But some writing classes in college will help you.

You need to know where you're strengths and weakness are. I knew I was weak in verbal, concentrated on that, although I reviewed thoroughly in quantative skills too. I ended up geting 70% on verbal and only 50% which is completely BACKWARDS from how I had done on ALL standardized testing in my life. Additionally I got a lower score then all my prior practices tests. I was disappointed, but I got in to my school so I didn't care.

I used princeton review and studied on my own. Didn't do that bad.

No need to take any special classes, I agree with mshheaddoc, it's classes you took in high school.

I also agree with everything else you said and wanted to emphasize math v. verbal. Keep in mind, EVERYONE (well...almost) is better at math than verbal. Therefore, your competition is much stiffer. I scored high for verbal, and trust me, that's never happened before but my math was not as high. Do the toughest problems you can in math and don't ignore it. I recommend the GMAT 800 book by kaplan...good stuff!

When do you suggest we take the GMAT?

JRJ26 said:
When do you suggest we take the GMAT?

talk to the business school...is it a virtual guarantee that you are in? Do you want to qualify for scholarships?

One of the advantages of having some med school behind you is that you get better taking multiple choice tests (unless you were already a natural test taker). So one possibility would be to take it after step 1, but then you are going to run into conflicts with the wards :confused: ...you could always do it during an easy rotation month :idea:

Ultimately, it's up to you and your situation. Regardless, plan ahead