mward04
SDN Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Partner Organization
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Just kidding. But hopefully this will stimulate some chatter.IndyZX said:Can I even get a job in the business world without a business degree? I'd like to do at least a summer internship, but as a history major, it seems like I'd be out of luck.
IndyZX said:Thanks for the response.
You said that you "went in telling everybody"... what do you mean exactly? How did you find the people to approach and where did you start looking?
youngin said:How about economics classes rather than actual business classes in the business school? I am actually considering doing a double major with one being econ mainly because it appeals to me. Or would it still be better to take business classes? And how many would show a significant amount of study in business for these programs?
JRJ26 said:would a minor in healthcare management help? I'm taking Healthcare in America course at school this fall(Georgetown). However, Gtown doesn't have a real healthcare management/administration department. I know University of Pennsylvania has an interschool minor in healthcare management and biological basis of behavior, so I'm definitely planning to apply there for transfer, as this is really what I want to study(in addition to the fact that it seems to mirror the MD/MBA, which I didn't even know existed until recently this year), although another reason is that i'd like to take a few bioengineering courses, and Gtown doesn't have an engineering school.
youngin said:How about economics classes rather than actual business classes in the business school? I am actually considering doing a double major with one being econ mainly because it appeals to me. Or would it still be better to take business classes? And how many would show a significant amount of study in business for these programs?
mshheaddoc said:I am currently halfway done my MBA with health care concentration and when I'm done I will be starting my prereqs for med school! 🙂
mward04 said:you're a glutton for punishment...
I'm an incoming freshman at Georgetown. I've been interested in the MD/MBA for a few months now, but I've been interested in medicine and businesss for a few years, before I discovered the MD/MBA. I always was conflicted over medicine and business, and always thought that I would have to choose b/w them(my parents trying to push me towards medicine). However, w/ the MD/MBA, I can study both for both professions. Ultimately, I would like to practice, however I'm also interested in hospital administration or work w/ an HMO.mward04 said:what is your longterm goal? to do the md/mba? what year are you?
youngin said:What type of classes would you think would be nececessary to take in college to be ready for the GMAT and score high?
mshheaddoc said:My experience with GMAT is that its mostly classes I took in high school for quantative portion; algebra, geometry, very little calc. Statistics classes in college helped me out at lot.
Verbal is mostly english classes from high school as well. But some writing classes in college will help you.
You need to know where you're strengths and weakness are. I knew I was weak in verbal, concentrated on that, although I reviewed thoroughly in quantative skills too. I ended up geting 70% on verbal and only 50% which is completely BACKWARDS from how I had done on ALL standardized testing in my life. Additionally I got a lower score then all my prior practices tests. I was disappointed, but I got in to my school so I didn't care.
I used princeton review and studied on my own. Didn't do that bad.
JRJ26 said:When do you suggest we take the GMAT?
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.