Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,
Well I'm a pre-med transfer student in his second semester of sophomore year. I'm living at home because of the cost/convince/focused-environment. Unfortunately this brings allong the necessary expense of having a car(Insurance+Gas). Because of transferring and poor guidance at my previous school I'm on track to graduate in four and a half years instead of the normal four. This actually seems to be more beneficial to me because it puts me on the whole MCAT/Med School Application track a full year later. At my original school when I told them I wanted to go Pre-Med they basically said "Good Luck", and that was all. Since Transferring this semester I have discovered how much time needs to be put into EC/Volunteer Work/Research/Shadowing. All of which I have NONE of.
This semester I'm forced to play a bit of catch-up (21+ real time class hours) as well as forced to take a chemistry course during the summer. As of right now I have to take an unfortunate mix of Morning and Night classes. I also work Saturdays at a restaurant averaging 75 dollars that night. So my question is this; I'm way behind in EC/Volunteering/Research/Shadowing, but don't have a good schedule this semester or summer for doing these activities. Not having to work that Saturday gives me more time to study and/or a Full Day a week to get some practical hours in. My only necessary expense is insurance and gas for my small car to get to class and these activities. Does anyone know of, or has had and fixed a situation similar to mine? I know that many Medical Schools take "Living Expenses" into account for budgeting loans, but I haven't been able to find anything similar yet for Undergrads.
My parents can't afford to pay for my car or most other school expenses. I take out full deferment loans for the cost of school and books, part from the Government and part from Alternative loans from my bank. So far I haven't found a full deferment loan that allows the money to be used for transportation (even as necessary as it is to a Pre-Med with two working parents). Can anyone point me in the right direction to solve my problem? Or suggest alternatives so that I can not worry about making money and have more time to dedicate to my Pre-Med path?
Thank you in advance for any help you can give,
Jeff
Well I'm a pre-med transfer student in his second semester of sophomore year. I'm living at home because of the cost/convince/focused-environment. Unfortunately this brings allong the necessary expense of having a car(Insurance+Gas). Because of transferring and poor guidance at my previous school I'm on track to graduate in four and a half years instead of the normal four. This actually seems to be more beneficial to me because it puts me on the whole MCAT/Med School Application track a full year later. At my original school when I told them I wanted to go Pre-Med they basically said "Good Luck", and that was all. Since Transferring this semester I have discovered how much time needs to be put into EC/Volunteer Work/Research/Shadowing. All of which I have NONE of.
This semester I'm forced to play a bit of catch-up (21+ real time class hours) as well as forced to take a chemistry course during the summer. As of right now I have to take an unfortunate mix of Morning and Night classes. I also work Saturdays at a restaurant averaging 75 dollars that night. So my question is this; I'm way behind in EC/Volunteering/Research/Shadowing, but don't have a good schedule this semester or summer for doing these activities. Not having to work that Saturday gives me more time to study and/or a Full Day a week to get some practical hours in. My only necessary expense is insurance and gas for my small car to get to class and these activities. Does anyone know of, or has had and fixed a situation similar to mine? I know that many Medical Schools take "Living Expenses" into account for budgeting loans, but I haven't been able to find anything similar yet for Undergrads.
My parents can't afford to pay for my car or most other school expenses. I take out full deferment loans for the cost of school and books, part from the Government and part from Alternative loans from my bank. So far I haven't found a full deferment loan that allows the money to be used for transportation (even as necessary as it is to a Pre-Med with two working parents). Can anyone point me in the right direction to solve my problem? Or suggest alternatives so that I can not worry about making money and have more time to dedicate to my Pre-Med path?
Thank you in advance for any help you can give,
Jeff