Undergraduate college decisions - Pre-DO/MM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yaknsneeze

Reaction score
Hi there,

While I have been on SDN for some time now, this is my first time composing a thread, so bear with me please!
As the title suggests, I was hoping to have some help with choosing a college to pursue a pre-DO pathway into medicine. I don't plan to specialize, just serve as a regular physician. (potential flight surgeon career later on?) Recently, I got acceptances to two guaranteed admission slots, one with Nova Southeastern Florida, and one with St. Bonaventure in conjunction with LECOM. For context, while I did apply to these in hopes of getting in, my priority was first and foremost regular undergrad colleges in Virgina, where I live. Currently (as all my decisions are out), I have narrowed it down to the College of William and Mary, Virginia Commonwealth College, and the two GA colleges previously mentioned. While I do appreciate the opportunity to not have take the MCAT (I think NSU only requires a 502), I really want to stay on my home turf, potentially with W&M, as I've heard good things about its Biology program and the fact that it is considered a great value (one of two public ivy's in VA), it really seems to call to me. On the other hand, I also feel that letting go of such an opportunity to not have to stress out is foolish, especially since my parent are "somewhat" leaning towards me going to one of the GA schools. Personally, I just want to know, is it worth taking the long shot and taking that seat, or is it perfectly fine if I stay close to home in-state? (P.S. scholarship money from both schools makes the price almost comparable to in-state, but it is still a heck of a lot more) Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would not consider Nova due to issues with board scores and administration. So I would recommend keeping the options between St Bonaventure/LECOM and attending your in-state options. And LECOM tuition is cheaper than most other medical schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you met with the prehealth advisors and students involved in the articulation pathways for the BS/DO programs? Similarly have you talked to any current prehealth students at the Virginia schools. VCU's and W&M's prehealth offices are pretty solid in general, but you still should get a sense of whether they can really help you; I think W&M is close enough to EVMS that it might be helpful. I would certainly say that if you think you want to stay in Virginia, obviously your Virginia residency will help you. Plus you have VCOM if you want to go DO (Liberty I don't really know...).

I don't know if you have the ability to pick your LECOM campus (PA, FL, NY) with your BS/DO program. Again, ask to talk to current articulation students in the track and perhaps even some of the students who have moved on to medical school about the program.

Are you considering going into regular undergraduate courses? What grade are you?
Right now, I'm just a senior in high school (all of my college decisions are out) so I'm really debating at the moment on what's my next step.

Have you met with the prehealth advisors and students involved in the articulation pathways for the BS/DO programs? Similarly have you talked to any current prehealth students at the Virginia schools. VCU's and W&M's prehealth offices are pretty solid in general, but you still should get a sense of whether they can really help you; I think W&M is close enough to EVMS that it might be helpful. I would certainly say that if you think you want to stay in Virginia, obviously your Virginia residency will help you. Plus you have VCOM if you want to go DO (Liberty I don't really know...).

I don't know if you have the ability to pick your LECOM campus (PA, FL, NY) with your BS/DO program. Again, ask to talk to current articulation students in the track and perhaps even some of the students who have moved on to medical school about the program.
Yep, and honestly, nothing but good things to hear from them, although acceptance to any of the medical schools there are extremely hard. Like around a 4 to 6 % acceptance rate, even with the reserved pathway that UVA and W&M students have with some of the med schools in Virginia. I haven't talked to Liberty U or Edward Via, but not much is known about them from a cursory glance (my perspective in this case). You are right in not being able to pick LECOM campuses, its really decided for you and its almost always the main one up in NY. If there is anyone else on these threads, I think I'll wait out for more inf. (i do have till May 1st to decide, after all) Thanks again!

Go to W&M and aim to become a competitive US MD applicant. There’s no reason to set your sights on DO school before even starting college.