Undergraduate course load

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shorty#1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The requirements may differ for each school, but is it necessary to carry a full course load during undergrad? I'm assuming this is the general consensus. Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

shorty#1 said:
The requirements may differ for each school, but is it necessary to carry a full course load during undergrad? I'm assuming this is the general consensus. Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks
SOme schools definitely want u to carry a full course load, but that can be over looked if u can show that u are working while going to school.

shorty#1 said:

Thanks

Shouldn't matter technically, so long as you meet the prereqs and minimum credits.

Although they might question how ready you are for professional school course-loads if you don't take a full load. (Obvious exceptions for if you have to work to support yourself, etc.) So be prepared to explain why.

Call the school to double check though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you have a very unusual situation, you should take a full load. Some may say that it is OK to take an easy load if you have a family or something, but if that is true, how will you be able to handle a super full load once in the OD program. That is how the admission person will look at it, "If they could not take a full load in undergrad, how will they be able to do it now?"

On the same note, I took a full load all through undergrad (17-19 cr.) up until my last semester. I had enough to graduate but I stuck around to have some fun and spend time with friends, I took 12 very easy credits that quarter. If that is what you are talking about, I think that is fine.:D

But I do agree with what was said earlier, it should not matter from a purely technical view.

I took 15-17 credits/semester early in Ugrad. Then I started taking 9-12 credits each summer and took only 12 credits or so in the fall/spring. No big deal. I graduated with about 12 extra credit hours. I was working 10-12 hours/week as a supervisor in a food court and doing Habitat for Humanity on the weekends though(still am doing H4H).

I think Houston’s application asked why you didn’t take at least 14 hours a semester if that was the case. Also when I interviewed at UAB they were impressed that I was able to keep a full schedule of extracurricular activates, 15-16 hours of school a semester, and keep my grades up. I think optometry schools believe that if you can take full loads in undergrad it will better prepare you for the work load in optometry school.

I rarely took a full course load. In Canada it is arranged somwhat differently. Five classes a semester plus labs is a full course load. I took four classes a semester plus applicable labs most semesters and made up for the missing classes in "summer classes". I took full course load my last year of undergraduate. I applied to one school and it wasn't even questioned. (In fact I was denied admission after third year under grad and I specifically asked if it was because of my reduced course load, they said no it was because I didn't fulfill the observation requirement -- who would have thought that was really important? I took fewer classes my first year because I was in a serious car accident in grade 12 but I never explained this in my application and fewer classes agreed with me -- I had absolutely no problem adjusting to OD school -- in fact I found it easier and did better than I did in undergrad 3.4 undergrad 3.8 OD school.)

shorty#1 said:

Thanks
I did a 150% load 5 semster straight, worked part-time on the side and had plenty of party experiences =) 7-8 courses, with 3-4 lab courses. It only got rough during exam week....the worse was when I had 5 exams in 1 week :( Go hard or go home!

If you are brave do 100+% load, but in some cases your dean will have to give you written permission to do that...depending on your school.

ucbsowarrior