Undergraduate Institutional Action

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ph4rmd

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am about to graduate from a public university and moving forward with pharmacy school. Recently, I had a problem with other student. My behavior was disruptive and I am on disciplinary probation, assigned to do community service until I graduate.
I was accepted to pharmacy school 2 months ago.
My question is does pharmacy school check student record at schools to see if there is any misconduct filed against a student. How about hospital or pharmacies when doing rotation do they call school and ask them if there is any violation?
I asked the school and they told me they keep a record for 3 years if agencies want information about the student. But they keep the record for 7 years.

Please help me with some answers. Has someone asked to give permission to access student record?

Thanks all

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,
I am about to graduate from a public university and moving forward with pharmacy school. Recently, I had a problem with other student. My behavior was disruptive and I am on disciplinary probation, assigned to do community service until I graduate.
I was accepted to pharmacy school 2 months ago.
My question is does pharmacy school check student record at schools to see if there is any misconduct filed against a student. How about hospital or pharmacies when doing rotation do they call school and ask them if there is any violation?
I asked the school and they told me they keep a record for 3 years if agencies want information about the student. But they keep the record for 7 years.

Please help me with some answers. Has someone asked to give permission to access student record?

Thanks all

What are you going to do when you have a disruptive customer is my first question?

Reactions: 2 users
What are you going to do when you have a disruptive customer is my first question?
I don't think your answer or the question you asked helped at all or is related to my question.

Members don't see this ad :)
was there a police report or is it internal school thing? Was there charges filed? if it's a school internal punishment, I don't think any places of employment check those types of records. If it's criminal charge, then you're looking at another scenario

Reactions: 1 user
was there a police report or is it internal school thing? Was there charges filed? if it's a school internal punishment, I don't think any places of employment check those types of records. If it's criminal charge, then you're looking at another scenario

The school police was called and they filed a report and forward it to the university Dean. I called the Dean office and explained it to them what happened. They placed me on Disciplinary probation and I am afraid if the pharmacy school I am planing to attend will know about this or when I apply for rotation the school might check after me on school record. There was no criminal charge. How do I talk to my university to see if it is possible to expunge my record. Is there any kind of attorneys or lawyer I should hire to help me with that?
Please help with ideas.

Hi all,
I was accepted to pharmacy school before the incident. Is there anything I need to worry about? Will PharmCas know about this later since nothing was reported on my application?
Do pharmacy schools check student educational record to see if there is violation?
I am worrying about it when it comes to IPPE community and hospital rotations, do they request educational record to be released?

How serious are the following institutional action below to pharmacy school?
1) Obstruction or disruption of teaching, classroom, research, administration, disciplinary procedures or other authorized University activities.
2) Behavior that constitutes an existing or potential threat to the health or safety of others.

Please help me with some answers. Has someone asked to give permission to access their student record if they had one?
Thanks all

Hi all,
I was accepted to pharmacy school before the incident. Is there anything I need to worry about? Will PharmCas know about this later since nothing was reported on my application?
Do pharmacy schools check student educational record to see if there is violation?
I am worrying about it when it comes to IPPE community and hospital rotations, do they request educational record to be released?
How serious are the following institutional action below to pharmacy school?
1) Obstruction or disruption of teaching, classroom, research, administration, disciplinary procedures or other authorized University activities.
2) Behavior that constitutes an existing or potential threat to the health or safety of others.
Please help me with some answers. Has someone asked to give permission to access their student record if they had one?
Thanks all
Yikes.
You should be forthcoming with the information.
It's a small world out there, and they're going to find out one way or another.

Another thing you need to consider is that pharmacy school is exponentially more stressful than undergrad.

If you can't behave yourself in undergrad you're likely to have much more serious problems in a professional school.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello,
what do you mean they're going to find out one way or another. Do they ask for information like that?

Please help

OP, what kind of problem did you have with your classmate, and how did you react to it?

Reactions: 3 users
OP, what kind of problem did you have with your classmate, and how did you react to it?

I was frustrated and I started to yell at him until someone came and called public safety

The school police was called and they filed a report and forward it to the university Dean. I called the Dean office and explained it to them what happened. They placed me on Disciplinary probation and I am afraid if the pharmacy school I am planing to attend will know about this or when I apply for rotation the school might check after me on school record. There was no criminal charge. How do I talk to my university to see if it is possible to expunge my record. Is there any kind of attorneys or lawyer I should hire to help me with that?
Please help with ideas.

I am not a lawyer, BUT you are innocent until proven guilty. there is nothing to expunge if you never had convictions/ charges filed against you by district attorney, you don't have any pleas on file, no arrests on file. Police's job is to file police reports, some become public records, but the state protects employees and only allow employers access to information that they need to know such as relevant past convictions. The school/jobs apps I've seen require you to disclose past convictions. I've seen some require disclosure of arrests. But police reports generally never come into play. Consult with a lawyer to make you feel better.

Check you state's BOP website for details.
This is what CA BOP asks
"Have you ever been convicted of, or pleaded guilty or nolo contender/no contest to, any crime, in any state, the United States or its territories, a military court, or any foreign country? Include any felony or misdemeanor offense, and any infraction involving drugs or alcohol with a fine of $500 or more. You must disclose a conviction even if it was: (1) later dismissed or expunged pursuant to Penal Code section 1203.4 et seq., or an equivalent release from penalties and disabilities provision from a non-California jurisdiction, or (2) later dismissed or expunged pursuant to Penal Code section 1210 et seq., or an equivalent post-conviction drug treatment diversion dismissal provision from a non-California jurisdiction. Failure to answer truthfully and completely may result in the denial of your application."

http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/forms/rph_app_pkt.pdf

Hello,
do pharmacy school request Institutional Action report from another universities after acceptance is offered. Because I had IA/disciplinary probation in my undergrad school after being accepted to pharmacy school but haven't yet attended pharmacy school yet.
But I want to know how likely are they going to find out if I don't talk about?
Do they require students to release school record?

I don't think your answer or the question you asked helped at all or is related to my question.
It's basically the same thing I asked you in the other thread you made.

If you're not mentally and emotionally stable enough to handle undergrad, you'll never make it through pharmacy school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,
do pharmacy school request Institutional Action report from another universities after acceptance is offered. Because I had IA/disciplinary probation in my undergrad school after being accepted to pharmacy school but haven't yet attended pharmacy school yet.
But I want to know how likely are they going to find out if I don't talk about?
Do they require students to release school record?

I suppose schools could be different. You should check what your acceptance is contingent on. Mine was final transcripts showing completion of preqs. I have never heard of anything else requested from the school. The thing that is confusing or perhaps you're just not saying is how did u get community service assigned to you, were you found guilty of a misconduct? Generally college isn't like HS where you can be assigned detention and have to stay after class to do additional work lol.

whatever it is, get a it together and make sure that nothing even comes close to what potentially happened.

I suppose schools could be different. You should check what your acceptance is contingent on. Mine was final transcripts showing completion of preqs. I have never heard of anything else requested from the school. The thing that is confusing or perhaps you're just not saying is how did u get community service assigned to you, were you found guilty of a misconduct? Generally college isn't like HS where you can be assigned detention and have to stay after class to do additional work lol.

whatever it is, get a it together and make sure that nothing even comes close to what potentially happened.
Hello Steveysmith54,
Yes, I was found to be disruptive of teaching, classroom, research, administration. So they put me on disciplinary probation, and assign me a community service and write 250 words reflection of what I learned.
I want to ask you but please advise me were you in same kind of situation?
Who can request academic disciplinary report from my school.
Thank you for your advice

Hello Steveysmith54,
Yes, I was found to be disruptive of teaching, classroom, research, administration. So they put me on disciplinary probation, and assign me a community service and write 250 words reflection of what I learned.
I want to ask you but please advise me were you in same kind of situation?
Who can request academic disciplinary report from my school.
Thank you for your advice

no never been in that situation.Don't even know what "disciplinary probation" is to be honest. Just have basic understanding of our legal system. You're still not clear if you were convicted of an offense in court of law or it's just a school thing. As previously stated, i don't know if a pharmacy school would request information of that nature, especially specifically yours, most pharmacy schools do a basic background check and requests final transcripts to satisfy preq requirements. Most background checks that I know of will show convictions and some will show arrests. Based on what I read on these forums the biggest problems do not come from schools, it's Board of Pharmacy which I refferenced to in my last post, which requests full disclosure of all convictions, expunged or not.

There is no way your COP is going to care about or even know about this. Move on with your life.

Maybe its just because I'm stuck indoors on a saturday, but I'm finding your curt posts hilarious tonight.
To OP, no one knows your situation, I doubt anyone has ever experienced this, if you can't sleep at night for fear of being caught maybe call your COP and ask anonymously?

I was frustrated and I started to yell at him until someone came and called public safety

You're going to love retail.

Reactions: 5 users
Having had to deal with this situation before:
School:
If you were not formally charged by the local police authority and it doesn't show up on your transcript, it is unlikely that we would see it. Even if we knew, I doubt your home institution's FERPA office would be willing to disclose this without your consent.

Board:
Likely that you would have to disclose this when you go for your intern license, and if you lie on this and are caught even years later, it is a retroactive revocation (CA has done at least two of those in the last couple of years).

Job:
Well, you need to disclose this if apply for any federal government posting, FERPA doesn't apply to us, and if we do find out without you telling us, it's not only an automatic rejection, it's very likely to be referred to the local US Attorney (and I personally have in those cases). If it's been a couple of years and you proactively disclose without repeating the incident, it's not a problem for the feds normally, but not disclosing it would be a problem.

If I were in your shoes, I'd disclose it proactively because finding out later usually is not going to work out in your favor.

Reactions: 2 users
Having had to deal with this situation before:
School:
If you were not formally charged by the local police authority and it doesn't show up on your transcript, it is unlikely that we would see it. Even if we knew, I doubt your home institution's FERPA office would be willing to disclose this without your consent.

Board:
Likely that you would have to disclose this when you go for your intern license, and if you lie on this and are caught even years later, it is a retroactive revocation (CA has done at least two of those in the last couple of years).

Job:
Well, you need to disclose this if apply for any federal government posting, FERPA doesn't apply to us, and if we do find out without you telling us, it's not only an automatic rejection, it's very likely to be referred to the local US Attorney (and I personally have in those cases). If it's been a couple of years and you proactively disclose without repeating the incident, it's not a problem for the feds normally, but not disclosing it would be a problem.

If I were in your shoes, I'd disclose it proactively because finding out later usually is not going to work out in your favor.
Hi lord999,
Thanks for those answer and shed light on. When applying for intern license, what kind of information do they request? Do they request for example incident report from past school other than pharmacy school someone graduates from. I looked up online the pharmacy intern packet and I couldn't see anything that says disclose Institutional Action.
What do you think? Did you mention you were in the same situation and you had to deal with it? Do I have to disclose information like that even the incident is off my record or no longer reportable by my school.
Any information is appreciated.

Hi lord999,
Thanks for those answer and shed light on. When applying for intern license, what kind of information do they request? Do they request for example incident report from past school other than pharmacy school someone graduates from. I looked up online the pharmacy intern packet and I couldn't see anything that says disclose Institutional Action.
What do you think? Did you mention you were in the same situation and you had to deal with it? Do I have to disclose information like that even the incident is off my record or no longer reportable by my school.
Any information is appreciated.
lord999,
here is the Pharmacy Intern for US Students Application Packet link:
http://www.doh.wa.gov/Portals/1/Documents/Pubs/690110.pdf

Yes, dealt with it is from the Student Affairs office on a student who got an assault and battery conviction for bar fight participation two years before admission (also, we did admit the student as it was disclosed and it was in the past, the Board admitted the student for internship and licensure later knowing the past), not personally. Actually, that sort of incident would be retained as FERPA requires it for reporting to entities like mine if you apply. As far as WA is concerned, if it didn't go beyond the school, looks like they don't ask for school-only discipline.

Yes, dealt with it is from the Student Affairs office on a student who got an assault and battery conviction for bar fight participation two years before admission (also, we did admit the student as it was disclosed and it was in the past, the Board admitted the student for internship and licensure later knowing the past), not personally. Actually, that sort of incident would be retained as FERPA requires it for reporting to entities like mine if you apply. As far as WA is concerned, if it didn't go beyond the school, looks like they don't ask for school-only discipline.

Hello lord999,
just to clarify if I understand you, you worked before in the Student Affairs Office and you had to deal with a student who had a fight incident. The school had to disclose the incident with the board licensure. The board admitted the student considering the incident was old. Did I understand correctly?

The other thing kept me confused is "that sort of incident would be retained as FERPA requires it for reporting to entities like mine" what do you mean like mine? And what kind of entities does FERPA release those other than FBI or federal agencies jobs.

Hello lord999,
just to clarify if I understand you, you worked before in the Student Affairs Office and you had to deal with a student who had a fight incident. The school had to disclose the incident with the board licensure. The board admitted the student considering the incident was old. Did I understand correctly?

The other thing kept me confused is "that sort of incident would be retained as FERPA requires it for reporting to entities like mine" what do you mean like mine? And what kind of entities does FERPA release those other than FBI or federal agencies jobs.

3142424-2828884452-flat%2C.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Honest to goodness, I feel like all of these threads
"Can My School/Board/Work/Preceptor find out that I was a triple axe murderer for 6 months in 1973, and also how can I sue ACPE, my school, my dean, my high school gym teacher, and should I quit or wait to be fired for averaging 9 critical errors per minute" are all just experiments by Google's AI programs to practice interacting with humans.

The tone and just totally alien feel of the people who make those "Help me" threads seems so uniform and bizarre.

Honest to goodness, I feel like all of these threads
"Can My School/Board/Work/Preceptor find out that I was a triple axe murderer for 6 months in 1973, and also how can I sue ACPE, my school, my dean, my high school gym teacher, and should I quit or wait to be fired for averaging 9 critical errors per minute" are all just experiments by Google's AI programs to practice interacting with humans.

The tone and just totally alien feel of the people who make those "Help me" threads seems so uniform and bizarre.
YOU ARE SO ******ED AND BRAINLESS!!

YOU ARE SO ******ED AND BRAINLESS!!
Well, that escalated quickly.

Since you have had outbursts before, I would recommend that you seek counseling or anger management. Pharmacy school is going to be stressful, and you can't just get mad and flip out on people so easily. It's going to be even worse when or if you become a pharmacist.

Reactions: 1 users
What is happening? Female professionals are great! No reason to single them out.

Well, that escalated quickly.

Since you have had outbursts before, I would recommend that you seek counseling or anger management. Pharmacy school is going to be stressful, and you can't just get mad and flip out on people so easily. It's going to be even worse when or if you become a pharmacist.
why don't you put YOUR SHOES IN YOUR MOUTH and quit it.

why don't you put YOUR SHOES IN YOUR MOUTH and quit it.

Look, I don't know what your circumstances are, but if you appear that high of a risk, it is deeply unlikely that you will be licensed. It is quite the norm for preceptors and/or colleagues to report on mental health matters. This is what they call "non-disciplinary suspension" in AZ when they do this due to unusual behavior. I agree with @PharmD500 that it probably would be in your interest to think really deeply about the circumstances that drew that school discipline and get help if it is warranted. In a intern's case, getting the equivalent set of circumstances usually mean dismissal rather than suspension.

But if you think we're a tough crowd, we can assure you that we have nothing on an average day in any retail pharmacy.

Reactions: 4 users
I honestly was just trying to be helpful. :confused: I even looked in the other forums for a similar situation to try to help OP. Oh well.

@lord999 I looked in the premed forum yesterday because there was a post about institutional action and OP wanted to know if it would need to be reported to the medical school. Goro and the rest were saying that the poster in that forum would need to report it. I can PM you the link to that thread.
There's a big difference between a whimsical story about someone getting their fish confiscated, and the Oscar Papa in this thread.
A big, legitimately worrisome difference.

@ph4rmd

Please accept my sincere apology. I was abrasive towards you and insensitive.

Please, please please seek professional help for whatever issue you have with anger.

You seem like a very intelligent and driven person, and seeking help to deal with the issue can only benefit you in your goals in life.

Last edited:
I honestly was just trying to be helpful. :confused: I even looked in the other forums for a similar situation to try to help OP. Oh well.

@lord999 I looked in the premed forum yesterday because there was a post about institutional action and OP wanted to know if it would need to be reported to the medical school. Goro and the rest were saying that the poster in that forum would need to report it. I can PM you the link to that thread.

I'd find it curious as there is no constituent duty. Most FERPA offices will not report issues due to getting a Title VI or IX on their hands afterwards unless it was something big enough to involve the police (in which case that is an official action). Just saying from both a Big 10 and PAC-12 perspective, we have actually tried to get prospective student (and even current study) past disciplinary history without success on those grounds. When we have had to release, we have had to notify the party (the student) himself/herself as our Office of Legal Counsel has a very expansive view of what is "educational information" that is personally identifiable, the Health and Safety exception notwithstanding.

Basically, let's say I'm Phi Delta Chi, and I was personally responsible and hazed the hell out of a student hospitalizing him. I think we can agree that I would be in serious trouble if charges were pressed. They weren't, and I just took an expulsion for the matter. Should I apply to another school, I could place that I was expelled and no, I won't sign the release permitting the application institution for a FERPA release. The applying school has to basically decide without that criteria (in which case, why the hell would that school say yes).

By the way @PharmD500, saw the other thread, but the circumstances differ enough because it is sexual assault, which has a specific Title IX implication. For AMCAS, that is *supposed* to be reported, but it has slipped through. That is voluntary, not required by the institution. In fact as stated above, even when we do have a self-report, good luck getting that from the institution where the offense occured without a FERPA waiver unless it was sexual (Title IX) or racism (Title VI) in nature.

If you're wondering why we have the Sexual Harassment Panda (Sexual Harassment - obvious) and the Ice Cream Truck Man (Racial Harassment - not so obvious) training, the Feds can get very annoyed about handling those issues.

Where this Op reports it or not, if it is later discovered, the Board and the School can take punitive action even retroactively if they have intentionally asked for it. The Board also can temporarily suspend a license pursuant to getting a FERPA waiver (I have seen AZ do this for a frat hazing in undergrad). If this Op is going to a PharmCAS-school, they are obligated to self-report. Whether or not the Board wants to know is their business. Usually no for in-school actions that do not get law enforcement involved.

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but it's an interesting play to whether or not one does reveal. Let's just say that there is a certain pharmacist (2005) on the register in AZ that copped to a crime that everyone of us knew was a lie but would place her in treatment and not dismissal. There is a right way and a sneaky way to do it.

By the way, this line about "opening minds and expanding horizons" when teaching? Bull$*@. You spend much more time on bureaucratic paperwork either yours or becoming yours:
1. Becoming a professional beggar for the rich organization of your choice (NIH, NSF, HH, RWJF).
2. Student affairs like this
3. Faculty committee fights like Space and Tenure and Promotion

I wonder how clinical track works where you don't have to spend as much time in service and just maintain a practice.

Last edited:

Steveysmith54,
what do you mean get it together and make sure nothing comes close to what happened. do you think they only check it before someone get accepted? I called pharmcas and they said "it is up to you if you want or not disclose the information".

Steveysmith54,
what do you mean get it together and make sure nothing comes close to what happened. do you think they only check it before someone get accepted? I called pharmcas and they said "it is up to you if you want or not disclose the information".

I think he meant that the original poster of this thread, Ph4rmD, was an emotionally unstable individual with no hope of ever succeeding in any professional program until he sought help in dealing with his obvious issues.

I really do hope the guy seeks help, because they'd never ever make it past 1st year the way they are.

I think he meant that the original poster of this thread, Ph4rmD, was an emotionally unstable individual with no hope of ever succeeding in any professional program until he sought help in dealing with his obvious issues.

I really do hope the guy seeks help, because they'd never ever make it past 1st year the way they are.

You seem to be unstable in every possible way from the way you answer. Don't you have better thing to do with your time rather than just be a jerk.

You seem to be unstable in every possible way from the way you answer. Don't you have better thing to do with your time rather than just be a jerk.
I don't understand, is ph4rmd a friend of yours?
I apologize if I offended you; I genuinely wish them the best.

I would hope having the public safety officers called on them for an angry outburst would be a red flag for them that would inspire them to improve.

I don't understand, is ph4rmd a friend of yours?
I apologize if I offended you; I genuinely wish them the best.

I would hope having the public safety officers called on them for an angry outburst would be a red flag for them that would inspire them to improve.
Aren't all American crazy and majority of them have mental health issue? What is yours? Haven't you yet pissed on yourself? take a real good look at yourself then judge others. And the stupid things about this country is they judge alot.