HISTORIC BOP ACTION IN VERMONT - 40 page charging document, Walgreens Co., "egregious" violations of law

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Heroic Combo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

EDIT: 40 page charging document from Secretary of State:

Spread this to everyone you know in the pharmacy world. Vermont is the first state of 50 to bring such an abundance of charges to the company itself, all 32 stores in the state. The state petitioned for law to change in 2021 so that they can prosecute the chain itself, instead of individual licensees and succeeded. There were around 325 statements of facts which violated 7 specific Vermont law statutes! The Secretary of State's office is recommending action up to and including revocation of license to operate. Walgreens only has a few more days to respond before this goes before the board.

I encourage you all to at least read the article, if not the entire 40 page charging document. This is hopefully the first event in a huge ripple of BOP action across the nation, hopefully this is picked up by national news soon. PLEASE spread this to everyone. There are 3 articles in the state media right now but I believe this one is the best.

Here's one of my favorite quotes from a DM:

Statement of Fact #210: When the floater pharmacist reported unsafe workload and lack of staffing issues to Walgreens Corporation District Manager, he was told “figure it out” and “we need to be Netflix, not Blockbuster.” Walgreens Corporation provided no assistance in response to the floater pharmacist’s plea for help.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users

Spread this to everyone you know in the pharmacy world. Vermont is the first state of 50 to bring such an abundance of charges to the company itself, all 32 stores in the state. The state petitioned for law to change in 2021 so that they can prosecute the chain itself, instead of individual licensees and succeeded. There were around 325 statements of facts which violated 7 specific Vermont law statutes! The Secretary of State's office is recommending action up to and including revocation of license to operate. Walgreens only has a few more days to respond before this goes before the board.

I encourage you all to at least read the article, if not the entire 40 page charging document. This is hopefully the first event in a huge ripple of BOP action across the nation, hopefully this is picked up by national news soon. PLEASE spread this to everyone. There are 3 articles in the state media right now but I believe this one is the best.

Well - I’m no expert on law…. But if your sensational interpretation of this case law is correct, this would be wonderful.

Reactions: 2 users

Love your energy. Thanks for sharing!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
On one hand, corporate pharmacies are being called out legitimately here. Lack of adequate staffing, lack of flexibility in reversing medications at the corporate level, idiot do nothing middle managers that hang pharmacists in bad positions out to dry. On the other hand, we went through a huge labor crunch due to the worst pandemic in a century. I really don't think that is their fault that they couldn't open a few stores here and there. Same with prescriptions being delayed. It was a problem all over the country. At my store, we just couldn't hire techs. We offered $16 hr to *anybody* and we got no bites. The government was paying people to stay home. You can't compete with that. Wags (and the other corporates) sucks to work for and are absolutely at fault here for most of this, but, I don't know, to be completely honest I feel like the fact that it was a weird time in the labor market is being glossed over here.

Interesting to see this action being taken.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
On one hand, corporate pharmacies are being called out legitimately here. Lack of adequate staffing, lack of flexibility in reversing medications at the corporate level, idiot do nothing middle managers that hang pharmacists in bad positions out to dry. On the other hand, we went through a huge labor crunch due to the worst pandemic in a century. I really don't think that is their fault that they couldn't open a few stores here and there. Same with prescriptions being delayed. It was a problem all over the country. At my store, we just couldn't hire techs. We offered $16 hr to *anybody* and we got no bites. The government was paying people to stay home. You can't compete with that. Wags (and the other corporates) sucks to work for and are absolutely at fault here for most of this, but, I don't know, to be completely honest I feel like the fact that it was a weird time in the labor market is being glossed over here.

The way I see it is - the pandemic exacerbated the already paper thin conditions which were present in retail pharmacy. It was like a breeze that toppled the house of cards and now it has been left in a completely obvious state of ruin.

It was an absolute circus in places like CVS/Wags in 2019. Now it’s gone so many levels beyond a circus I don’t even know what to call it. It’s not something I would consider a career anymore. It’s a paycheck if you absolutely need it - otherwise it’s just a toxic disaster that will hurt anyone who touches it.

As crazy as it was in 2019 - it’s way worse now.. And to rebuild it to the circus it was in 2019 also seems impossible now. I would estimate that about 65% of those with career experience needed to make a retail pharmacy function has left for whatever else.

The pandemic was what was needed to expose the mess and leave it useless. CVS/Wags created their own disaster and I really don’t think that the circumstances in a retail pharmacy should be adjusted for the pandemic At all.

Reactions: 1 users

True, too bad they didn't take action before Covid. Now they have an excuse for low staffing. It would be hypocritical to accuse Walgreens of making meds inaccessible to patients and punish them by shutting down all of their stores. Why didn't they go after CVS too?

That said,

"Haters might say that the job market is crumbling. They just can't see that the possibilities are doubling"

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Wags is a dirty corporation that has been doing these type of things long before the pandemic, which just have them a reason to become even worse. They just also settled a 683M lawsuit a month ago.

Also, stores were/are paying no experience employees 17-20/hr to work in receiving around here (LCOL) with serious benefits, why would anyone work the terrible/stressful job that is being a tech for 16/hr? There are techs in some parts of the country earning 60-70k, even then i would say it’s questionable if it’s worth it.

is CVS regularly having to close stores on a daily basis nationwide like walgreens has?

Nice to see some recognition that something isn’t right…expanding services offered without additional resources or compensation. Can’t blame those willing to actually work in dangerously understaffed conditions

Hoping this will lead to some minimum standards/regulatory measures and increased incentive (pay, better work conditions) esp for technicians.

I mean like wow, retail Pharmacies actually get to close for lunch…it’s 2022. If the government could actually do something useful…intervene and force companies to improve neglected working conditions

well it’s a good, realistic, relatable read…chalk full of how corporate greed ultimately hurts and affects everyone in the environment. Thanks for posting

The pandemic was a once in a lifetime occurrence but Walgreens was ill prepared to handle the increased workload and they knew it.If they are experiencing the same problems now then that is another story.

is CVS regularly having to close stores on a daily basis nationwide like walgreens has?
During the pandemic when all of the infractions listed in this legal document occurred, yes. There were several instances where does couldn't open. It sucked.

Everything is almost back to "normal" right now.

During the pandemic when all of the infractions listed in this legal document occurred, yes. There were several instances where does couldn't open. It sucked.

walgreens continues to experience this problem nationwide. i think it is because of the lower wages that is the diffrence between cvs and walgreens. so many veterans in our area left walgreens and went to cvs for higher pay

Members don't see this ad :)
walgreens continues to experience this problem nationwide. i think it is because of the lower wages that everyone quit.
That's why I did. I came back after retirement.There was 4 pharmacy staff and between us we had combined experience of about 4 months.This was at the height of the pandemic.After a week I said "Who needs this ****"

Did you read the charging document? It went beyond not being open due to staffing shortages. No notice was given to the board or patients and many of the closures did not give patients any information on how to transfer their scripts.

There was also a pharmacy that was closed for several weeks due to a fire but they continued to bill automatic refills with no way to reverse them. And a pharmacy that closed and automatically marked everything in will call as delivered to the patient.

It may be back to normal in your store. The Walgreens in my area are having rolling closures due to staffing issues. No one wants to work there because it’s literally a build from the ground up.

I called to get my blood pressure meds refilled and found out that they were spontaneously closed on Friday/Saturday due to no one working. They knew who I was and asked me if I would please come work PRN. I told them no that I would rather drive school bus (no seriously, I said exactly that).

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Plenty of stores in my area are regularly closed due to staffing issues too and we pay higher than Walgreens. We made some progress hiring new pharmacists but are still losing them faster than we can replace them. Now we also have issues getting front end managers too so even if we can find RPh coverage there's no guarantee that the store can even open.

I don’t necessary see this as a victory for pharmacists. Remember, the state is going after WAG, not to protect the staff, but to protect the patients

I can only see this ending in 3 ways
1. State BOP is pressured into allowing pharmacies to operate without a physical presence of a pharmacist
2. WAG puts more pressure on to current pharmacists to pick up extra shifts/do double shifts
3. WAG closes lower volume stores so they can assure that the higher volume stores can stay open

Whichever end result we get, it’s bad for pharmacists

True, too bad they didn't take action before Covid. Now they have an excuse for low staffing. It would be hypocritical to accuse Walgreens of making meds inaccessible to patients and punish them by shutting down all of their stores. Why didn't they go after CVS too?

That said,

"Haters might say that the job market is crumbling. They just can't see that the possibilities are doubling"

The exact reason that they didn't also go after CVS is because there's barely ANY CVS in VT. I think maybe 5 or 6? They have such a small footprint. Walgreens has the largest footprint. So, with the rest of the pharmacy companies being more or less legit and good places to work, nearly ALL of the complaints that came to BOP were all Walgreens complaints. Basically the State had hardly anything to look at OTHER THAN... Walgreens. Lots of unique factors at play here.

• Vermont is small and only 32 of WAG's 9000 pharmacies, making the whole state just a tiny drop in the bucket, and probably at highest susceptibility of neglect by corporate
  • Vermont is now as of last year become once again the only state in the US without a pharmacy school.
  • Walgreens is THE spotlight for BOP due to lack of any other similarly unsafe and understaffed pharmacies (i.e. CVS)
  • There was an apparent much more collective voice and power in our state in regards to pharmacists making complaints, AND the BOP started their investigation 2 years ago as soon as Walgreens went from 3 stores to 32 with the acquisition. So many horribly done conversions that there were SO many pharmacists involved in such an instant and fast descent into horrible practice which never was a thing in VT before and created sparks. They came to interview every WAG RXM in the state, and submitted a comprehensive workplace condition survey out to every RPH in VT, where they saw glaring issues with Walgreens pretty much exclusively
Now we see what happens.. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they just closed everything in VT..

I don’t necessary see this as a victory for pharmacists. Remember, the state is going after WAG, not to protect the staff, but to protect the patients

1. State BOP is pressured into allowing pharmacies to operate without a physical presence of a pharmacist
2. WAG puts more pressure on to current pharmacists to pick up extra shifts/do double shifts
3. WAG closes lower volume stores so they can assure that the higher volume stores can stay open

Really?? I see this as a victory for pharmacists across the nation. The first ripple in what should reverberate across the country.. I don't see how anyone could say that pharmacists are losing here???! What??

1. There's no way in hell they will let a pharmacy operate without a pharmacist. Things would get way worse.. way worse.
2. Walgreens in a lot of locations is offering $20-30 per hour on top of base to pick up shifts, and people still aren't taking them. Maybe they'll offer double pay.
3. I think this is somewhat likely to happen.

My hope is that #3 happens, and that BOP increases tech/RPH requirements, and Walgreens moves the staff of closed locations to the busier open locations.

The pandemic was a once in a lifetime occurrence but Walgreens was ill prepared to handle the increased workload and they knew it.If they are experiencing the same problems now then that is another story.
Same problems now. Can't keep their stores open.

I think it's at the very least pretty notable that they're going after the chain itself rather than the pharmacists/PIC

Really?? I see this as a victory for pharmacists across the nation. The first ripple in what should reverberate across the country.. I don't see how anyone could say that pharmacists are losing here???! What??

1. There's no way in hell they will let a pharmacy operate without a pharmacist. Things would get way worse.. way worse.
2. Walgreens in a lot of locations is offering $20-30 per hour on top of base to pick up shifts, and people still aren't taking them. Maybe they'll offer double pay.
3. I think this is somewhat likely to happen.

My hope is that #3 happens, and that BOP increases tech/RPH requirements, and Walgreens moves the staff of closed locations to the busier open locations.
Really? Everywhere i know, Wags is the lowest paying and if you don’t like it, they pick someone out of the 15,000 yearly poor souls who will do it for 40/hr (it’s very common for Wags to be in the 40s for pharmacists).

@randompharm Yeah totally serious. I make in the low/mid 60's as RXM and my overtime rate is that +20 to 30/hr extra depending on location. Staff rates are mid 50's and Walgreens needs pharmacists here pretty bad. Vermont is the only state in the US without a pharmacy school as of last year, so there is some degree of pharmacist desert. However, every other pharmacy company doesn't have problems staffing their stores.

@randompharm Yeah totally serious. I make in the low/mid 60's as RXM and my overtime rate is that +20 to 30/hr extra depending on location. Staff rates are mid 50's and Walgreens needs pharmacists here pretty bad. Vermont is the only state in the US without a pharmacy school as of last year, so there is some degree of pharmacist desert. However, every other pharmacy company doesn't have problems staffing their stores.
It may be very limited to your area to be honest and the school part likely has a lot to do with it, as this is a first (literally) that i not only hear of Wags paying decent wages but paying extra (not saying of course that it’s impossible). To my knowledge, CVS also has the same problem to an extent and they have similar issues (though Wags is worse). CVS nearby are often closed but simulatously many can’t get more than 28-32 hours. It’s a clown show on either spectrum.

I think it's at the very least pretty notable that they're going after the chain itself rather than the pharmacists/PIC

Yes .....for now. Depending on how this goes, it will be turned against pharmacists. BOP have known for years how working conditions have deteriorated and looked the other way. I'm for one am a "I'll believe it when I see it...".....if and when something is actually done.

Yes .....for now. Depending on how this goes, it will be turned against pharmacists. BOP have known for years how working conditions have deteriorated and looked the other way. I'm for one am a "I'll believe it when I see it...".....if and when something is actually done.
Yes, it’s akin to how they changed some laws around so pharmacists don’t have to meet metrics individually, but the pharmacy itself still does (so basically the pharmacist is still responsible), and paraded it as a big win for work conditions.

I guess I never realized how small Vermont was. Only 32 Walgreens and less than 10 CVS. No one will care about the result until it happens to a bigger state.

CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid took out huge loans to buy other businesses. Pharmacy used to make a good profit but because of the interest these corporations are paying on those loans, profit is now significantly less. This means they need to compensate with deep cuts in labor cost. Patients are paying more but are getting less and less. It is a dangerous way to run a healthcare business.

There was a Kinney Drugs in Arlington, VT that was operated via telelpharmacy; there was seldom a pharmacist on-site. It's closed now, but the precedent is there.

This wouldn't be an issue if it wasn't for all of the mistakes being made by their staff. How can the board punish walgreens for its employees walking out or no showing? I can't even get interns to take any of my remote gigs for $20/hr. I used to get 20-30 applications for it at $15/hr. Should I be punished by the board? Makes no sense to me. Regardless of how this turns out, the major pharmacy chains have no one to blame but themselves. They got on their knees and begged the government for vaccine so they could be labeled heroes and now that same government is investigating each and every location in the state. Karma!

This wouldn't be an issue if it wasn't for all of the mistakes being made by their staff. How can the board punish walgreens for its employees walking out or no showing?
It's not just staffing at individual stores. Training/automated system issues/operating without a PIC are all corporate issues. Automated fills were being billed for a store that was closed long-term due to fire damage. Almost no one in the state knew how to reverse claims. Patients were directly affected by corporate failures.

• Wow
It's not just staffing at individual stores. Training/automated system issues/operating without a PIC are all corporate issues. Automated fills were being billed for a store that was closed long-term due to fire damage. Almost no one in the state knew how to reverse claims. Patients were directly affected by corporate failures.
Interesting that they claim to have read the complaint but don’t seem to recognize the role the chain played in causing the issues.

Interesting that they claim to have read the complaint but don’t seem to recognize the role the chain played in causing the issues.
I feel like I'm going to keep expanding on my summary until it's just retyping the entire document

• Haha

Consistency of criticism should be an expectation, yeah? Apparently not.

The way I see it is - the pandemic exacerbated the already paper thin conditions which were present in retail pharmacy. It was like a breeze that toppled the house of cards and now it has been left in a completely obvious state of ruin.

It was an absolute circus in places like CVS/Wags in 2019. Now it’s gone so many levels beyond a circus I don’t even know what to call it. It’s not something I would consider a career anymore. It’s a paycheck if you absolutely need it - otherwise it’s just a toxic disaster that will hurt anyone who touches it.

As crazy as it was in 2019 - it’s way worse now.. And to rebuild it to the circus it was in 2019 also seems impossible now. I would estimate that about 65% of those with career experience needed to make a retail pharmacy function has left for whatever else.

The pandemic was what was needed to expose the mess and leave it useless. CVS/Wags created their own disaster and I really don’t think that the circumstances in a retail pharmacy should be adjusted for the pandemic At all.
you always put into words and articulate so well how i'm feeling. i was tech/intern 2006-2011, and been a rph ever since. i feel like i've been through a good chunk of the highs and now terrible lows. after the dust cleared from the pandemic, my attitude about my job is purely just thinking every second of my life (on and off the clock), i can't WAIT until the day I quit or get fired. i'm trying to soul search and linkedin search and network and see what else is possibly out there. but until then, like i said, i dream of the day i just walk the f away.