Undergraduate Major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jack daniels

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, will a B.A. in anthropology cripple my chances of being admitted into a M.D./Ph.D program. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think that's a good question for Vader. ;) My guess is that it would be harder to show your dedication to science and being a physician-scientist with a non-science major. However, if you can take all or most of the classes offered for your intended future Ph.D. discipline (e.g., genetics, neuroscience, biochem, whatever) and finish all your med school pre-reqs AND do a fair amount of undergrad lab research, then it might be possible. Hopefully someone in an MD/PhD program will answer you with more definitive info. Good luck!

Originally posted by Jack daniels:
•Hi, will a B.A. in anthropology cripple my chances of being admitted into a M.D./Ph.D program. Thanks•

As long as you did well in your science courses and MCAT's, then I don't see why this can cripple your chances of an acceptance.... It may even set you apart from the rest of the applicants.... Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it would be a problem. I believe previous lab experience is very key for successful MD/PhD applicants, and you would definitely be able to do this still as a non-science major -- I worked in a lab for two years as an English major -- people were always shocked to find that out, because the labs usually only got the bio majors.

Probably the most definitive way of finding out would be to call some of the programs you are interested in and ask what their requirements are, or how they evaluate applicants.

hi, i'm starting an md-phd program, and i have to be honest- i think everyone i've met in this program so far was a science major in college. that being said, i think what's really important is that you demostrate a love and commitment to research. majoring in the sciences is one way to do that, but another way is long term research projects. that's something else that everyone i've met here has. it's great to have other interests (ie-anthropology) but ultimately i think they want to make sure that you know what you're getting into and are really sure you want that phd.

All of the above posters have given great advice. I don't have much to add, but just will say that while your chances certainly aren't crippled, be prepared at least to discuss your choice of major at interviews. If something potentially sticks out on your application, like anthropology, interviewers will be interested in why you chose it, as opposed to "standard" MD/PhD student college majors. Of course, this is one way to make yourself stand out from the rest of the pack. Good luck! :D

I dont think it will cripple you but consider this:

Most successful MD/PhD applicants not only have research experience, but the quality of their research is very, very good. These people did not just spend 3 years in a lab doing basic procedural stuff. They were forming their own experiments and working quasi-independently within the lab.

My point is that being a non-science major will make it harder for you to engage in such original research because you wont have the in-depth science background like the others do. Now, its possible for you to work at their level, but you will have to read and study ALOT on your own to compensate for the lack of advanced science training that you wont be getting.

You can do it, but just keep in mind that working in a lab is not good enough to get admitted to MD/PhD. They look STRONGLY at the QUALITY, CREATIVITY, AND ORIGINALITY of your OWN research conducted while in the lab. Just spending 3 years working in a lab mixing chemicals is not good enough.

It will help set you apart from other MD/PhD applicants, but just remember to engage in orignal research as much as possible instead of just following existing protocols.