1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Undergraduate major

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by akstylish, Mar 13, 2007.

1. akstylish

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I'm sure this has been asked many times before, but what majors do you recommend most? Here are some of the good ones I know:

-Biology
    -Biochemistry
    -Biomedical engineering(which I currently plan to major in)

Please tell me if there's another major that you think is better.

2. BodybldgDoc

BodybldgDoc Guest

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Genetics. I'm not saying its better but I enjoy it.:)

3. bruinpredent

bruinpredent UCLA School of Dentistry
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    most of the biochem majors i know (including myself) absolutely love the major...its tough but fascinating.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. armorshell

armorshell One Man Freak Show
    Physician Dentist Moderator Emeritus Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Any kind of molecular biology looks good and is usually very interesting.

Plus, Bio majors think you're a chem person and chem people think you're a bio person. It's a win-win

5. pacbum

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    i'm bme, and i have loved it. don't get me wrong, it's very difficult, and sometimes i wonder why i'm doing this to myself, but it is also very rewarding. the skills you gain with an engineering degree are unrivaled and unique. i thought about switching to bio as a first year, but now after finishing 4 years of engineering, it has been a very rewarding experience, and i'm glad that i stuck it out.

engineering isn't the easiest, so if you'd like to cruise during college, stay away from engineering (not to say any of the other majors are that easy either). but if you have the drive, i'd stick with bme.

and as far as applying to dental school goes, i think bme gave me something unique to talk about. i know schools say that they only look at gpa, but i'd like to think that schools favor students from different backgrounds, so it gave me an advantage i think. but best of luck.

6. dent_girl

dent_girl Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    non-science major
    which isn't TOO easy that everyone makes fun of
    which isn't TOO hard so you will have more time to
    study for biochem midterm than those bio majors :)

I am serious

7. burgler09

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    can't say i don't love biochem!

8. soswank

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Amen to that! :)

9. pre-dentalguy

pre-dentalguy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Biomedical engineering

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. EnviroDentist

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Engineers have a hard time proving that they are diversified and typically have low GPAs; however, Engineers also have the highest percentage chance of getting in too 65%.

11. NoFear66

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Business major. Finance, Marketing, or Economics, one day you may have to run your own practice and having a business background is a good way to do this efficiently.

12. UJ007

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I say go into the program where you think you can get the highest gpa. Since that is what will determine (for the most part) if you get in to d-school.

13. diane07

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Admissions Committees are smart . . . evaluation is what they're experts at! If you have a high GPA in an easy major, they know it. They're not stupid. They definitely look at your science GPA. If you have a high GPA in any old major but no evidence of being able to handle the upper level division sciences, they'll notice.

I'm not saying you should only major in the sciences. Major in whatever you want because dental schools like to see diversity too. But if you major in something that's "easy" because you want a high GPA, that could backfire unless you also include some sciences.

To increase your chances of acceptance to dental school, try to make yourself as competitive as possible. And don't think you can hoodwink an Admissions Committee that evaluates hundreds if not thousands of applications each year. Make an honest effort, and hopefully it will pay off with an acceptance in the end!

14. 1992Corolla

1992Corolla CheerioKing
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    micro is a good one, zoology is another good one. They are more focused than a general biology major. Make sure you you get A's/B+'s in your science courses. A couple of C's never hurt either, but I wouldn't recommend hanging out in the outlying areas of the lower spectrum.

15. Fuji

2+ Year Member

Materials science and engineering.

Great tie-in to dentistry.

16. Drill2Fill

Drill2Fill DentalStudentWannabe
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I think you are right. If I have majored in something easier, and minored in a science, undergrad would have been so much easier. Plus I would probably have a better gpa than I do now.

17. marscole

marscole Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Microbiology, Immunology, & Mol. Genetics. Sounds impressive, but the lowest GPA in the school. Try to do more sciences classes to push up my GPA. There's no good or bad major, just you enjoy studying it or not.

Good luck at choosing your major!!!;)

18. Cymbidium

Cymbidium Awesome.
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Get a minor in Art and take a few sculpture classes.

19. goosestuff

goosestuff 10-4, Chicken Feed, 10-4
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Major in painting...worked for me! :D