Undergraduate major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akstylish

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked many times before, but what majors do you recommend most? Here are some of the good ones I know:

-Biology
-Biochemistry
-Biomedical engineering(which I currently plan to major in)

Please tell me if there's another major that you think is better.

Members don't see this ad.

most of the biochem majors i know (including myself) absolutely love the major...its tough but fascinating.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any kind of molecular biology looks good and is usually very interesting.

Plus, Bio majors think you're a chem person and chem people think you're a bio person. It's a win-win

i'm bme, and i have loved it. don't get me wrong, it's very difficult, and sometimes i wonder why i'm doing this to myself, but it is also very rewarding. the skills you gain with an engineering degree are unrivaled and unique. i thought about switching to bio as a first year, but now after finishing 4 years of engineering, it has been a very rewarding experience, and i'm glad that i stuck it out.

engineering isn't the easiest, so if you'd like to cruise during college, stay away from engineering (not to say any of the other majors are that easy either). but if you have the drive, i'd stick with bme.

and as far as applying to dental school goes, i think bme gave me something unique to talk about. i know schools say that they only look at gpa, but i'd like to think that schools favor students from different backgrounds, so it gave me an advantage i think. but best of luck.

non-science major
which isn't TOO easy that everyone makes fun of
which isn't TOO hard so you will have more time to
study for biochem midterm than those bio majors :)

I am serious

can't say i don't love biochem!

I'm sure this has been asked many times before, but what majors do you recommend most? Here are some of the good ones I know:

-Biology
-Biochemistry
-Biomedical engineering(which I currently plan to major in)

Please tell me if there's another major that you think is better.

Engineers have a hard time proving that they are diversified and typically have low GPAs; however, Engineers also have the highest percentage chance of getting in too 65%.

Business major. Finance, Marketing, or Economics, one day you may have to run your own practice and having a business background is a good way to do this efficiently.

I say go into the program where you think you can get the highest gpa. Since that is what will determine (for the most part) if you get in to d-school.

Admissions Committees are smart . . . evaluation is what they're experts at! If you have a high GPA in an easy major, they know it. They're not stupid. They definitely look at your science GPA. If you have a high GPA in any old major but no evidence of being able to handle the upper level division sciences, they'll notice.

I'm not saying you should only major in the sciences. Major in whatever you want because dental schools like to see diversity too. But if you major in something that's "easy" because you want a high GPA, that could backfire unless you also include some sciences.

To increase your chances of acceptance to dental school, try to make yourself as competitive as possible. And don't think you can hoodwink an Admissions Committee that evaluates hundreds if not thousands of applications each year. Make an honest effort, and hopefully it will pay off with an acceptance in the end!

micro is a good one, zoology is another good one. They are more focused than a general biology major. Make sure you you get A's/B+'s in your science courses. A couple of C's never hurt either, but I wouldn't recommend hanging out in the outlying areas of the lower spectrum.

Materials science and engineering.

Great tie-in to dentistry.

I say go into the program where you think you can get the highest gpa. Since that is what will determine (for the most part) if you get in to d-school.

I think you are right. If I have majored in something easier, and minored in a science, undergrad would have been so much easier. Plus I would probably have a better gpa than I do now.

Microbiology, Immunology, & Mol. Genetics. Sounds impressive, but the lowest GPA in the school. Try to do more sciences classes to push up my GPA. There's no good or bad major, just you enjoy studying it or not.

Good luck at choosing your major!!!;)

Get a minor in Art and take a few sculpture classes.