General Admissions & OTCAS Undergraduate Student Loans

Started by SCOT2017
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SCOT2017

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys! I'm trying my best to navigate the waters of Student Loans. I'm about to start a program in May and was wondering what everyone does to get their loans from undergrad deferred/consolidated/paused not sure what the correct terminology is here, but ANY advice would be appreciated. I'm trying to chart unknown waters here. Thank you in advance.
 
Hey there! I am 2 years post grad and about to consolidate my loans before I start my OTD program. I believe all it takes is an application to the servicer of your choice and then that starts the process!
 
Yes I'm two years post grad as well and have been on the Income based driven repayment plan! I didn't know if there was a certain plan I needed to switch to or not before starting school
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes I'm two years post grad as well and have been on the Income based driven repayment plan! I didn't know if there was a certain plan I needed to switch to or not before starting school
Im also on IDR for my Federal Loans. I'm sorry, I thought you were speaking of private. I need to consolidate to get my payments reduced as I would only be repaying one servicer. I beleive you can consolidate your loans after graduating your OT program. You could probably wait since they will be deferred while in school.
 
Yes. I only have Federal Loans! So will the loans automatically be deferred during my time in school? Does this happen when I fill out the FASFA?

-Forgive me if these are dumb questions, I had horrible luck and got caught up in somewhat of a dirty company who fed me false information about loans. I didn't have to do any of this in college since my parents were involved with the payments. So thank you so much for your help!
 
Yes. I only have Federal Loans! So will the loans automatically be deferred during my time in school? Does this happen when I fill out the FASFA?

-Forgive me if these are dumb questions, I had horrible luck and got caught up in somewhat of a dirty company who fed me false information about loans. I didn't have to do any of this in college since my parents were involved with the payments. So thank you so much for your help!
I have federal loans from FASFA through Navient and I talked to a lady at the provider company who said as long as you are enrolled, they will automatically get the notification and keep deferring your payments!
 
Correct! All loans defer, even private! I expereinced this when I went back to school for prereqs.