Underground Cinical Vignettes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dawg_MD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am using First Aid to begin preparing for Step I and noticed that they keep referencing UCV. Suprisingly, I have never seen any of my peers using this book. Could anyone tell me if they have used them and if they are any good. I am trying to decide if I want to invest in some of them : Pathophys, Micro, Anatomy.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

UCV is OK if you want a break from your other study materials. They're fast reads and are perhaps helpful to reinforce and test your knowledge in a different way . They don't present new information-just present it a different format.

While you're studying it is important to test yourself to make sure you really know the stuff vs just thinking you know it because your eyes are passing over the same words again and again. UCV would be useful for some people for this. I did the anatomy one and didn't really find it all that helpful--but that's just me. You might really like the series. I would say if your library has them or you can get them used, then just try out one or two before you buy the whole thing.

If you're just going to have a few resources, then 1st AID and the NMS question book are probably better choices. If you have extra money, I would put it on Q-bank and some of the High Yield series--whichever areas you're weak in. Or some of the Ridiculously Simples--esp Micro and Neuro.

In my opinion, this series worth nothing near the $200 retail price for the set of 10. I only have the set because it was handed down to me by a 4th year. In theory it's a good format since board questions are case-based. Something lacking that I wish would have been included with each case is a list of the top 5 differentials and explanations for why the other 4 incorrect. I have an old edition, so maybe it's improved.

Your money is better spent on other resources, especially if your library has them.