underground clinical vignettes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lakersfan

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read some old posts about this series and wanted to see how helpful those who have taken the boards recently found them. I read both good and bad things and am buying a lot of my books for year II right now and wanted to see what you guys thought. I know its by the makers of First Aid (or one of their authors at least) which makes me think that they may know they are writing about.

Also, anyone known any good books for micro and immuno outside of MMRS?

Alright, thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

lakersfan said:
I've read some old posts about this series and wanted to see how helpful those who have taken the boards recently found them. I read both good and bad things and am buying a lot of my books for year II right now and wanted to see what you guys thought. I know its by the makers of First Aid (or one of their authors at least) which makes me think that they may know they are writing about.

Also, anyone known any good books for micro and immuno outside of MMRS?

Alright, thanks for the help.
If you have the money, go for it. Microbio and the Phathophys volumes were the best in my opinion. They did a good job of presenting concepts in a manner similar to what you see on USMLE, and they were also helpful for integrating information...e.g. treatment and pathology. Also, they were a good change of pace after I'd been staring at BRS or FA or whatever else for 9 straight hours. Bottom line: A great supplemental study source if you have the money (or a friend to borrow them from - which is what I did), but by no means crucial.

CaptainZero said:
If you have the money, go for it. Microbio and the Phathophys volumes were the best in my opinion. They did a good job of presenting concepts in a manner similar to what you see on USMLE, and they were also helpful for integrating information...e.g. treatment and pathology. Also, they were a good change of pace after I'd been staring at BRS or FA or whatever else for 9 straight hours. Bottom line: A great supplemental study source if you have the money (or a friend to borrow them from - which is what I did), but by no means crucial.

Thanks for the advice CaptainZero..I think I'll try them and follow them along this year as my school goes through the systems.

i bought and read them before taking step 1. i recommend them as they'll help prepare you for seeing real patients on your clerkships in addition to solidifying your concepts.