underserved communities and loan forgiveness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drbon

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to find out about loan forgiveness programs for practicing in rural and underserved communities? i'm specifically interested in child psych...i know that, in general, there is a HUGE need for child and adolescent psychiatrists in many places around the country and as I am interested in going into the field, it would be nice to help out communities that need my services and get my debt forgiven..... :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

The only programs I am aware of are for FM, EM, and OB/Gyn. There are national, regional, and local programs for loan forgiveness which will come up with a simple Google search.

There may be a huge need, but I don't think child psychiatry is considered an essential service for underserved areas, unfortunately.

sophiejane said:
The only programs I am aware of are for FM, EM, and OB/Gyn. There are national, regional, and local programs for loan forgiveness which will come up with a simple Google search.

There may be a huge need, but I don't think child psychiatry is considered an essential service for underserved areas, unfortunately.

EM? Got a link?

I think that the NHSC considers psych to be primary care....

http://answers.hrsa.gov/cgi-bin/hrs...jImcF9jYXRfbHZsMj1_YW55fiZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a few questions about these kinds of programs. Do you have to apply for them before starting med school, before graduating, before finishing residency etc.? I'm definitely interested in primary care in a rural area but is it hard to get these kinds of repayment/forgiveness plans? Are they competitive?

Has anyone here used them and what have been your experiences? You can PM me if you don't want to talk about it in "public." :D I never even considered these programs until an advisor mentioned them a few weeks ago. I've been so focused on trying to get an acceptance somewhere that I haven't really been thinking about anything else.

Sorry to hijack the thread. :oops:

flighterdoc said:
EM? Got a link?

I think that the NHSC considers psych to be primary care....

http://answers.hrsa.gov/cgi-bin/hrs...jImcF9jYXRfbHZsMj1_YW55fiZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=

Wow, okay--I stand corrected. That's actually really good news. It's encouraging...

As for EM, no, I don't have a link. I got some info from ORCA (a program in TX) and they mentioned EM as one of the possibilities for the state funded loan repayment program. But then, our state looks like this:

http://www.orca.state.tx.us/DD-CMS/html/images/site_main/MUAs.jpg

All the orange counties are medically underserved... that's a lot of orange...

mustangsally65 said:
I have a few questions about these kinds of programs. Do you have to apply for them before starting med school, before graduating, before finishing residency etc.? I'm definitely interested in primary care in a rural area but is it hard to get these kinds of repayment/forgiveness plans? Are they competitive?

Has anyone here used them and what have been your experiences? You can PM me if you don't want to talk about it in "public." :D I never even considered these programs until an advisor mentioned them a few weeks ago. I've been so focused on trying to get an acceptance somewhere that I haven't really been thinking about anything else.

Sorry to hijack the thread. :oops:

You can sign up before school or after residency. Different states have different awards. Iowa for instance will pay back full tuition but Missouri (sorry, I'm a midwestern gal) will only pay up to $25000 a year. Usually they are a year for year basis. The ones that I've heard of include FP, EM, Peds, IM, or mixtures of the above as primary care. You have to serve in an underserved county, but not necessarily in a tiny town or out in the country. Kansas considers all but four of it's counties as underserved.
I don't think there is a lot of competition. Theres such a great need they will take nearly whoever, although if you want to sign up before school starts, its better if you sign up for the state you reside in. (or have close ties to).
Take my information with a grain of salt, I am also premed. I've signed up with the Kansas medical student loan, which will pay my tuition and a monthly stipend. I'm really excited about it.

noelleruckman said:
You can sign up before school or after residency. Different states have different awards. Iowa for instance will pay back full tuition but Missouri (sorry, I'm a midwestern gal) will only pay up to $25000 a year. Usually they are a year for year basis. The ones that I've heard of include FP, EM, Peds, IM, or mixtures of the above as primary care. You have to serve in an underserved county, but not necessarily in a tiny town or out in the country. Kansas considers all but four of it's counties as underserved.
I don't think there is a lot of competition. Theres such a great need they will take nearly whoever, although if you want to sign up before school starts, its better if you sign up for the state you reside in. (or have close ties to).
Take my information with a grain of salt, I am also premed. I've signed up with the Kansas medical student loan, which will pay my tuition and a monthly stipend. I'm really excited about it.

Thanks. I'm in NC and I did some internet searches. They sound like great programs and working in an underserved county would be no problem.

One more question: most med schools give you a budget and factor in living expenses in your loans. Am I correct in thinking that these repayment programs will only pay your tuition and you have to pick up whatever you borrowed for living expenses?

mustangsally65 said:
Thanks. I'm in NC and I did some internet searches. They sound like great programs and working in an underserved county would be no problem.

One more question: most med schools give you a budget and factor in living expenses in your loans. Am I correct in thinking that these repayment programs will only pay your tuition and you have to pick up whatever you borrowed for living expenses?

I think it is $10-$30k per year for any educational debt you have if you take one of the programs that start post-residency.

But you can often make more money in jobs without the payback benefit. If you have some fiscal discipline you can end up paying your loans back quicker than you can with the payback clinic.

mustangsally65 said:

I'm not sure, I think it depends on your state. Kansas gives a stipend. I'm guessing if you signed up post residency you will have to pick up whatever you borrowed for living expenses. And you don't have to work in a clinic, you can have your own practice, as long as it is in an underserved area (of course this may change with whatever state your in)

noelleruckman said:
I'm not sure, I think it depends on your state. Kansas gives a stipend. I'm guessing if you signed up post residency you will have to pick up whatever you borrowed for living expenses. And you don't have to work in a clinic, you can have your own practice, as long as it is in an underserved area (of course this may change with whatever state your in)

Could you post a link to the Kansas information...Just to check, if I do a residency in EM and work in Kansas, they'll pay back some of my loans? Missouri will only do it for IM, FM, Peds.

iatrosB said:
Could you post a link to the Kansas information...Just to check, if I do a residency in EM and work in Kansas, they'll pay back some of my loans? Missouri will only do it for IM, FM, Peds.

I don't know anything about the Kansas options for people who come to work in Kansas after residency. I don't know if they accept EM or not. I assume so because the loan I am getting (*** load) does. This loan/scholarship, depending on how you look at it, is only offered to KU students. I know Kansas has options for people coming after residency, but don't know any details. I'm pretty sure that your infamous financial aid advisor should be able to give you that information though. (I've met him because I interviewed there as well)

noelleruckman said:
I'm pretty sure that your infamous financial aid advisor should be able to give you that information though. (I've met him because I interviewed there as well)

Yeah, probably, he's awesome. Thanks :thumbup:

Note that most of these (like NHSC) consider psych to be primary care, but NOT child psych.

How do you get payed for these programs? Do you set up your own clinic? It wouldn't make sense to go somewhere to get 25k a year in debt repayment and make 40k less than you would elsewhere.

jeff2005 said:
How do you get payed for these programs? Do you set up your own clinic? It wouldn't make sense to go somewhere to get 25k a year in debt repayment and make 40k less than you would elsewhere.

From a strictly financial bottom line it wouldn't no. However, if you aspire to practice in a rural area the loan forgiveness may help to balance out the lower salary. Money isn't always the only factor in the decision for most people.

jeff2005 said:

Could be, but not always. In fact, since many underserved areas are hurting for doctors, they actually pay more. At my medical school, we have three family practice residencies within the area. The current chief resident just accepted a position in an underserved area in a local state. Her offer (I know this, because my Family Medicine Interest Group leader is good friends with her):
-$170K/year
-$10K moving
-$25K signing bonus
-$25K/year +3years loan repayment

No, this isn't typical, but they do exist. Also, don't forget that most loan repayment programs are TAX FREE (at least they are in NC). Sure, you might start at only $120K/year, but you get $25K/year tax free. That's pretty good, considering the tax bracket.