Understanding Fin Aid & Loans (please help)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ssandedoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've posted about this in pre-DO and the DO forums and have received some help.

Here are my questions:
1. What is the MAX amount of undergraduate debt that can be incurred through student loans through a private lender aka non-gov?

2. What is the MAX Stafford loan amount for an undergrad?

3. What is the MAX student loan amount through a private lender for professional school like DO school?

I ask these questions because I need to buy a used car and was going to take out a personal student loan to pay for it. I just don't want to max out or hurt myself in the long run when I need money on down the line for med school.

My current debt is about $3500, and I'm starting my junior year this Summer.

Members don't see this ad.

1. up to the cost of going to school (which includes tuition, fees, room and board).
2. depends on if your parents (or someone else) files you as a dependent.
If they do you can borrow a maximum of $3,500 per year or $23,000 aggregate maximum.
If they do not you can borrow a maximum of $7,500 per year or $46,000 aggregate maximum.
or up to the cost of going to school.
3. up to the cost of attending the school.

mpp said:
1. up to the cost of going to school (which includes tuition, fees, room and board).
2. depends on if your parents (or someone else) files you as a dependent.
If they do you can borrow a maximum of $3,500 per year or $23,000 aggregate maximum.
If they do not you can borrow a maximum of $7,500 per year or $46,000 aggregate maximum.
or up to the cost of going to school.
3. up to the cost of attending the school.

Thanks for the help, they file me as a dependent so I guess more stuff to consider.