Understanding SOAP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

schmartdoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have gone over the nrmp and ecfmg sites many times, but I want to clarify some things:

Once the match results are out, do they automatically update eras with the programs that are open, allowing us to apply?
Also, is it true that we can apply for upto 45 positions, and it's of no cost?
Are all of the interviews skype interviews? And if they choose us, do they inform us during the interview that they've accepted us?

Members don't see this ad.

Evidently the list will be released on Monday at 2pm. From what I understand, there are several 'mini-matches' that take place on Wednesday and Thursday, and that's when you find out, not during the interview.

Thanks, so the interview are all done on skype/phone?

Yes. All are remote interviews. Phone, Skype, FaceTime, Hangout, whatever.
I have gone over the nrmp and ecfmg sites many times, but I want to clarify some things:

Once the match results are out, do they automatically update eras with the programs that are open, allowing us to apply?
Also, is it true that we can apply for upto 45 positions, and it's of no cost?
Are all of the interviews skype interviews? And if they choose us, do they inform us during the interview that they've accepted us?

Here is a great first hand account of how the SOAP works:
http://md2bgrecoa3.com/2013/06/04/a-first-hand-account-of-the-soap/

Reactions: 2 users
Can someone please tell me how competitive is the SOAP (in the same low competitive specialty that I'm trying to match into, i.e. psychiatry)? I'm still trying to decide if I'd be better off leaving a couple of programs off my rank list (if I didn't like the program/location) if I can easily get a better position in the SOAP. I have plenty of ranks, so hopefully I'll match somewhere on my list and the need for SOAPing won't arise... but I'm not clear on the pros/cons of leaving a few places off my rank list. I'd rather go to those places rather than go unmatched, but at the same time, since these places are either malignant or a good program in a bad location, I'd probably get a better place in the SOAP if I'm able to. That is IF I'm able to get something good from the SOAP. I did pose this question earlier on the psychiatry forum but am still not clear on the answer I was given. Thanks!

Last edited:
Can someone please tell me how competitive is the SOAP (in the same low competitive specialty that I'm trying to match into, i.e. psychiatry)? I'm still trying to decide if I'd be better off leaving a couple of programs off my rank list (if I didn't like the program/location) if I can easily get a better position in the SOAP. I have plenty of ranks, so hopefully I'll match somewhere on my list and the need for SOAPing won't arise... but I'm not clear on the pros/cons of leaving a few places off my rank list. I'd rather go to those places rather than go unmatched, but at the same time, since these places are either malignant or a good program in a bad location, I'd probably get a better place in the SOAP if I'm able to. That is IF I'm able to get something good from the SOAP. I did pose this question earlier on the psychiatry forum but am still not clear on the answer I was given. Thanks!

You answered your own question in the first bolded sentence. Anything more specific, no one can possibly tell you. I would suggest that while you think you'll get a better option in the SOAP, you might realize that your options there are worse than the options you have now. If you don't want to go to a place, don't rank them. But if you'd rather go there than go unmatched, then you need to rank them. Taking a chance on the SOAP, which was brutal last year, is a bad idea.

Reactions: 1 user
You will not get a better place than what's on your list now in SOAP. You just won't.

I've said it before and will repeat it here. The question is not "would I rather SOAP than match there?". It's "would I rather work at Home Depot than match there?". That's the calculation you need to make.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you both for spelling things out so clearly. That was exactly what I was asking for.

Can someone please tell me how competitive is the SOAP (in the same low competitive specialty that I'm trying to match into, i.e. psychiatry)?!

There were 8 peds spots in the SOAP last year. I'm not sure how many there were in psych, but I imagine it was a similar number. You don't want to chance the SOAP.

You will not get a better place than what's on your list now in SOAP. You just won't.

I've said it before and will repeat it here. The question is not "would I rather SOAP than match there?". It's "would I rather work at Home Depot than match there?". That's the calculation you need to make.

I agree with this whole heartily. Except that I tried to apply to Home Depot -- but apparently I was too qualified for any position. :(

I had to soap last year and it is something I would not wish my worst enemy. All programs were places NO one wanted to go as well as malignant places...and this is for FM, probably worse for other fields. Also if you have any red flags: repeat/low steps, IMG, visa issue, etc you will not even get entertained for offers. Last year there were fewer spots and more AMG than ever before so competition is tough as well.

Statistically I agree. We all know outliers who lucked out into a gem via the scramble/soap though. If you couldn't bear working at a program you might risk soap. But you are going to have to be extremely lucky to find something "better". More likely it will just be a dog with different fleas. Or you could end up with nothing at all.

I agree with this whole heartily. Except that I tried to apply to Home Depot -- but apparently I was too qualified for any position. :(.

LOL did you send them a resume with your college and med school degrees on it? Work at the home depot isn't that bad. But you will never get a job at these kinds of places by talking about your professional qualifications in other fields. If it comes to this, go in and talk about the work you've done on the side remodeling bathrooms, laying tile, helping your uncle put on roofs one summer, whatever. If they ask what else you were doing you can mention taking classes in the medical field and hope they assume you were at the community college. Low wage retail and unskilled type jobs are NOT interested in hiring people with advanced educations. Mentioning your academic success on your resume or an interview for this kind of job is a surefire way NOT to get it. You need to present yourself as someone who graduated high school, maybe taking night classes part-time at community college, who has a record of stable employment, will show up on time, and basic knowledge of whatever they're selling, and minimal criminal history without drug problems.

Last edited:
LOL did you send them a resume with your college and med school degrees on it? Work at the home depot isn't that bad. But you will never get a job at these kinds of places by talking about your professional qualifications in other fields. If it comes to this, go in and talk about the work you've done on the side remodeling bathrooms, laying tile, helping your uncle put on roofs one summer, whatever. If they ask what else you were doing you can mention taking classes in the medical field and hope they assume you were at the community college. Low wage retail and unskilled type jobs are NOT interested in hiring people with advanced educations. Mentioning your academic success on your resume or an interview for this kind of job is a surefire way NOT to get it. You need to present yourself as someone who graduated high school, maybe taking night classes part-time at community college, who has a record of stable employment, will show up on time, and basic knowledge of whatever they're selling, and minimal criminal history without drug problems.

You probably need to leave out any suggestion of community college/night school too -- these places won't hire you if they think you are working toward getting a better job and ultimately leaving.

You probably need to leave out any suggestion of community college/night school too -- these places won't hire you if they think you are working toward getting a better job and ultimately leaving.

Yup. Or that you will be unbearable to work with and make everyone else quit. Or worse, you will take the job of the manager that hired you. Lets hope it doesn't come to that for any of us, but the reality is that for a small group of us we might end up needing something like this to bridge a gap. Not really much here on how to get a job you are way academically overqualified for but underqualified for skill and experience-wise, so maybe this will be helpful.

as a former Home Depot employee i would like to add my 2 cents, first of all working there can be really fun if that's what you like to do, my coworkers were some of the happiest i've ever met. on my application i only put down high school diploma and part time mechanic. It is unlikely to get hired at Home depot if you show too much academic ambition. the drug test has to be completed immediately the same day you are offered the job and you have to pay for it out of pocket. in all honesty the question would you rather work at Homedepot is actually more profound than expected. because to me it digs at the real reason why someone chooses to study medicine rather than another career. my supervisor at home depot was 35 years old, his salary was over $100,000 per year with good benefits. He played in a band and seemed to really enjoy life. and that's the point, he was enjoying life and had an honest paying job. so really why wouldn't we be happy working at Home Depot too?

:bored::bored:
as a former Home Depot employee i would like to add my 2 cents, first of all working there can be really fun if that's what you like to do, my coworkers were some of the happiest i've ever met. on my application i only put down high school diploma and part time mechanic. It is unlikely to get hired at Home depot if you show too much academic ambition. the drug test has to be completed immediately the same day you are offered the job and you have to pay for it out of pocket. in all honesty the question would you rather work at Homedepot is actually more profound than expected. because to me it digs at the real reason why someone chooses to study medicine rather than another career. my supervisor at home depot was 35 years old, his salary was over $100,000 per year with good benefits. He played in a band and seemed to really enjoy life. and that's the point, he was enjoying life and had an honest paying job. so really why wouldn't we be happy working at Home Depot too?

Uhhh... you resurrected a 4 year old post for this? Wut?

Why tf does a 35 year old Home Depot manager make six figures? That baffles me.

6293652.jpg