UNE COM Vs Touro Middletown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cw638343

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone- Looking to get some advice/info on UNE COM vs Touro Middletown! I am leaning towards Touro simply because it is closer to home(seems more practical) but I have heard so many good things about UNE COM.

UNE COM
Pros:
-On the coast/beautiful campus
-Well established
-I have heard that lectures are not mandatory but not 100% sure.
-Seems like the admin/staff are supportive
-Rotation sites are about 1 hr from home

Cons:
-Campus is 4 hours from home

Touro Middletowm
Pros:
-2 hours from home
-Connected well w/faculty during interview
-Flipped classroom seems like it would work w my learning style
-From NYS so am familiar with the area

Cons:
-Heard they are test heavy & attendance is required(takes away from studying time)-Can anyone speak on this?

THANK YOU!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I put my deposit down for UNE COM to give me a little more time to decide. I honestly would love to go to UNE COM but I think it is much more practical for me to go to Touro because of the location. What are your thoughts?

I would say go where you felt a connection. I understand the practicality of attending Touro because of location but maybe draw out the costs of attendance at each school and compare to see how much of a difference you are saving. I would also add that for me I am looking at medical schools that are out of state and in nicer areas with the reason that I am going to medical school for 4 years and while it would be practical to be in-state I feel a stronger connection to the out of state schools I've interviewed at and believe that I would be happier there. GL in whatever you choose.

Members don't see this ad :)
I put my deposit down for UNE COM to give me a little more time to decide. I honestly would love to go to UNE COM but I think it is much more practical for me to go to Touro because of the location. What are your thoughts?
I ended up choosing Touro. I did a tour of Touro this past week and I have been to UNE many times before. I felt that Touro was so invested in their students (I mean look at the step 1 score ranking). They were so caring and involved in the students success. I’m not saying UNE isn’t like that but I genuinely felt cared about at Touro. In addition, you could live 30 minutes from NYC depending on where or if you rent. There were a lot more opportunities and “things to do” in that area of NY as well. I had a sit down talk with the preclinical dean guy and he said the z-score is NOT as scary as it’s made out to be. It’s in place for our success not our division. At the end of the day go where makes you happy, but I personally felt i was supported a ton and could succeed well past what I could at UNE. Also, the mandatory lectures is only 10% of the grade and they said students seldom go to them so it doesn’t make a difference in your class rank majority of the time. They also give you about 7-8 weeks of dedicated board study time.

P.s. the Jewish holiday are all observed with days off (in addition to fridays off) so there are plenty of mental breaks to be had.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I ended up choosing Touro. I did a tour of Touro this past week and I have been to UNE many times before. I felt that Touro was so invested in their students (I mean look at the step 1 score ranking). They were so caring and involved in the students success. I’m not saying UNE isn’t like that but I genuinely felt cared about at Touro. In addition, you could live 30 minutes from NYC depending on where or if you rent. There were a lot more opportunities and “things to do” in that area of NY as well. I had a sit down talk with the preclinical dean guy and he said the z-score is NOT as scary as it’s made out to be. It’s in place for our success not our division. At the end of the day go where makes you happy, but I personally felt i was supported a ton and could succeed well past what I could at UNE. Also, the mandatory lectures is only 10% of the grade and they said students seldom go to them so it doesn’t make a difference in your class rank majority of the time. They also give you about 7-8 weeks of dedicated board study time.

P.s. the Jewish holiday are all observed with days off (in addition to fridays off) so there are plenty of mental breaks to be had.
I honestly felt that I had a better connection during my interview at Touro. Do you know what the schedule is like? I know a lot of stuff is remote(and will probably continue to be so until the fall) so I’m wondering when we would actually have to be on campus. Also, is it true that you can access the materials(recorded lectures) soon after being accepted? That is nice to hear about the holidays off! I am hoping to go for a tour soon! Thank you so much for your input!

I honestly felt that I had a better connection during my interview at Touro. Do you know what the schedule is like? I know a lot of stuff is remote(and will probably continue to be so until the fall) so I’m wondering when we would actually have to be on campus. Also, is it true that you can access the materials(recorded lectures) soon after being accepted? That is nice to hear about the holidays off! I am hoping to go for a tour soon! Thank you so much for your input!
According to the student affairs guy, the students go to class T-TH 8-5. However, those days usually don’t last that long and some days they are even halved. Friday, Saturday and Sunday are off and Monday are exam days (mondays can end at like 1 if you take the tests fast). I don’t have access yet but I’ve also never accessed my portal fully. I’ll check that out!

According to the student affairs guy, the students go to class T-TH 8-5. However, those days usually don’t last that long and some days they are even halved. Friday, Saturday and Sunday are off and Monday are exam days (mondays can end at like 1 if you take the tests fast). I don’t have access yet but I’ve also never accessed my portal fully. I’ll check that out!
Ok thank you!! This def helps! I am liking the M-Th schedule!

I have an A from Touro and on WL at UNE COM. I have not compared them yet because I'm afraid of jinxing myself. Will visit if I get the A.