UNE vs MGH institute vs Doane Pre-reqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bitzy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know how popular UNE is however, when looking at the reviews they are beyond mixed. I have found 2 other programs that seem reputable. I was wondering if anyone has taken a course from any of these 2 places (MGH institute or Doane) and give me some feedback on how they were.

TIA!

Members don't see this ad.

If you're in Boston (MGH), why not do Harvard Extension/Harvard Summer for pre-reqs? Tuition for pre-reqs is comparable to or cheaper than many public universities.

UNE and Doane seem to be in Nebraska, half a country away. If you're willing to move to do a program, there are probably a few hundred universities where you can take classes either as a non-degree or as a post-bacc student.

If you're in Boston (MGH), why not do Harvard Extension/Harvard Summer for pre-reqs? Tuition for pre-reqs is comparable to or cheaper than many public universities.

UNE and Doane seem to be in Nebraska, half a country away. If you're willing to move to do a program, there are probably a few hundred universities where you can take classes either as a non-degree or as a post-bacc student.

these are all online programs. I am in a situation where my university will not allow me to take courses outside of my major. I also work full time and the community college near me has the course I need but its 3x/week with a lab 1x/week. Unfortunately, it does not work with my schedule, which is why I need online.

Members don't see this ad :)
You probably want to do most of your classes off-line, at a university. It sort of guarantees to admission committees that you were the actual person doing the work that was graded.

Can you:
(1) Change majors/double major
(2) Transfer/move to a different uni
(3) Graduate, then move somewhere where you could take the classes as post-bacc courses?

You probably want to do most of your classes off-line, at a university. It sort of guarantees to admission committees that you were the actual person doing the work that was graded.

Can you:
(1) Change majors/double major
(2) Transfer/move to a different uni
(3) Graduate, then move somewhere where you could take the classes as post-bacc courses?

I only have 2 courses left to graduate but my program will only allow me to take each one at a time d/t one being a pre-req for the other. I was told specifically by the director of the program that I am not allowed to take any other courses other than nursing. I tried to ask for a minor in chemistry because those are the majority of courses I need but they would not allow it since they have control over my schedule. Its basically a very communistic situation.

I wish I could transfer universities but you can't transfer into a nursing program unless you want to start all over. Plus I goto the best nursing program in my state.

Once I graduate, it will be hard to take courses in person my first year because as a new nurse you don't exactly get to pick your schedule, you work when your preceptor works. Once preceptorship is over, your schedule usually varies by days. While you get to pick the majority of the days you work, you still do not have control over it. For example, I would want to work weekends and either Monday or Friday but if they already have people working those days I end up working other days. So I can't really pick my course schedule months before hand. The type of nursing I want to do is not a Monday-Friday 5-6 job. Its either 3 12h shifts or 4 10 hours shifts.

I know online courses are less ideal than going to a community college to take them. I mean its a lot more expensive and adcoms do not necessarily like it. However, I think my situation will be accepted by adcoms as an excuse for taking them online. I want to try and just take the lecture portion online and then do lab 1x/week. That I would be able to do easily.

Reactions: 1 user
Can you get the nursing job/preceptorship in a city and state with a good public university and start taking post-bacc classes in a year or so? In person.

Can you get the nursing job/preceptorship in a city and state with a good public university and start taking post-bacc classes in a year or so? In person.

I just finished chem 1 and got an A-. I am scared that if I wait so long that I will forget the stuff I learned. But yes, that is another option for me (an option I am not not so keen on).

I'm in the process of making this decision myself. I looked into all 3 and considered my options. UNE was the cheapest one among the 3 and that was a selling point for me. I believe MGH didn't have all the pre-reqs (although you personally mentioned that you're only looking for 2 specific courses so maybe it fulfills your needs). Finally UNE is self paced so you don't have to keep up. Go at the rate you like.

P.s. we're now in the year 2018. Why do people still talk down on online programs and course work?? 9/10x you can't tell it's online just by looking at transcript.

I say UNE and take whatever online courses work for you

Reactions: 1 users
I wish there were more reviews about the courses I want to take at each school. All the reviews are a few years old. I couldn't find anything on MGH and I only found reviews for biochemistry at Doane. I went on rate my professor and that was useless.

Doane is actually cheaper than UNE when it comes to taking the course + the lab for general chemistry II. For example, UNE costs $1385 for course + lab but then you have to pay for the labpak itself and shipping (another couple hundred). So UNE ends up costing around $1600+. Doane costs $1460 for lecture + lab, an additional lab fee of $48, and a convenience fee of 2.75%. This ends up equalling to $1550. So its cheaper by at least $50. MGH is just a rip off.

What I want to do is take the lecture online then goto my university for the lab. I have to see if my university will take the credits though.

Yeah, you'r right! I'm doing the lectures without the lab, which is why my calculations are different. But Doane is cheaper in the end

P.s. we're now in the year 2018. Why do people still talk down on online programs and course work?? 9/10x you can't tell it's online just by looking at transcript.

2018 or not, there have been correspondence courses for ages.

(1) With online, there's no guarantee that the person whose name is on the transcript is actually doing the work.
(2) Offline, you meet other people in class who can be helpful and interesting. It's nice and actually FUN to interact with new smart people.
(3) Face-to-face and direct questions to a professor make recommendations and research advice more likely.
(4) Having a regular class schedule where you can turn off all of your electronic devices, listen to lectures, and take notes helps with motivation and retention.

I might be old-school, but that's my ten cents' worth.

2018 or not, there have been correspondence courses for ages.

(1) With online, there's no guarantee that the person whose name is on the transcript is actually doing the work.
(2) Offline, you meet other people in class who can be helpful and interesting. It's nice and actually FUN to interact with new smart people.
(3) Face-to-face and direct questions to a professor make recommendations and research advice more likely.
(4) Having a regular class schedule where you can turn off all of your electronic devices, listen to lectures, and take notes helps with motivation and retention.

I might be old-school, but that's my ten cents' worth.
you're certainly more than welcomed to throw in your ten cents. It comes down to preference in the end. I was addressing the notion that it's not acceptable to do it online. It's more than acceptable. Remember UNE are an actual DO med school and they offer these online prereqs. So online classes are not frowned upon. I mention 2018 because doing things online has become the norm.

& Cheating happens right inside of classrooms too

To each his own. I'm fine with either but I just wanted to address the point that online schools are frowned upon or some sort of disadvatange.

DOANE is 10000000000% better than UNE.

I know how popular UNE is however, when looking at the reviews they are beyond mixed. I have found 2 other programs that seem reputable. I was wondering if anyone has taken a course from any of these 2 places (MGH institute or Doane) and give me some feedback on how they were.

TIA!

I've taken a few online science courses from different institutions, including biochem at UNE. It was neither the best nor the worst online course I've taken. In my experience, the people who are most likely to post reviews are those who are dissatisfied. In fact, the only one of my pre-req professors who gets good reviews online is one who was ridiculously easy. Many times during me pre-med journey, and particularly when it came to considering UNE, I was scared and hesitant to take a course because of the reviews. But it always went the same way: do the work, learn the material, and get an A. That's not to say everyone will get an A. But I believe any "A student" is more than capable of getting an A at UNE.

As for how they're regarded, some schools explicitly say they don't take online course work (e.g. Baylor). But the vast majority do. I personally emailed or called every school in TX and several OOS schools and each one (except Baylor, which made its position clear on its website) said there was no disadvantage as long as the courses are taken somewhere accredited. I just had a very successful admission cycle so, anecdotally, it seems they were telling the truth.

Last edited:
Hi guys! i know this thread is old, but I need to take biochem online. I've actually already taken it but it was on a quarter system (4 quarter credits) and I've been accepted to a vet school who needs 5 quarter credits or 3 semester credits. They are willing to replace the credits, so I can retake the class on a semester system (just giving you all context that I have actually taken biochemistry before, the material will not be new to me).
I was going to take it through UNE, but I have heard very mixed reviews. I've heard better things about Doane, and not much about MGH. Both Doane and MGH have lab components though, and I don't need the lab.
Does anyone have any insight? I've heard Doane is easier, but it is worth it to take the lab if I don't need it, or should I just stick with UNE's self-paced system.
I also only need a C since I was already accepted. I got a A+ in my last course.

Whatever the cheaper option is.