UNECOM class of 2010!! part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MountainEM

Mountain Man
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
sh#t, I have not even started yet!
dave

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone ready for the next onslaught?? have you seen how many exams we'll have next time?!? pharm AND path AND bacteriology AND the last section of physio?? AIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
:barf: :barf: :barf:

Everyone ready for the next onslaught?? have you seen how many exams we'll have next time?!? pharm AND path AND bacteriology AND the last section of physio?? AIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
:barf: :barf: :barf:

One exam at a time. One step at a time. After you get through these, you won't have to take these tests again. Remember the number of exams decrease significantly your 3rd and 4th year, BUT then you are going to have to apply all the stuff you learned during years one and two. As someone once told me, "This too shall pass." I think he meant it literally and figuratively (unless he was referring to flatulence).

Hang in there!!

Wook

I am a prospective student. I know that an Anantomy professor at UNECOM has published articles critical of Cranial Osteopathy. Do UNECOM students still learn it as part of the curriculum? I know it is on the boards. What are student and OMM professor attitudes towards Cranial Osteopathy?
Thanks!

For anyone interested:
http://faculty.une.edu/com/shartman/

He provides links to some of his published work on cranial criticisms.

The second year students get at least an introduction to cranial during the OPP course. I don't know how intensive it is. First year students are exposed to it through extracurricular workshops.

As far as student and professor attitudes to cranial, good question. I've talked with students who are intrigued by it and others who view it as quackery. I've talked with a couple of DOs on faculty who privately downplay it, and I've met at least one DO faculty who uses it in practice.

For anyone interested:
http://faculty.une.edu/com/shartman/

He provides links to some of his published work on cranial criticisms.

The second year students get at least an introduction to cranial during the OPP course. I don't know how intensive it is. First year students are exposed to it through extracurricular workshops.

As far as student and professor attitudes to cranial, good question. I've talked with students who are intrigued by it and others who view it as quackery. I've talked with a couple of DOs on faculty who privately downplay it, and I've met at least one DO faculty who uses it in practice.

I agree. Some faculty downplay cranial, while others swear by it. In itself, this represents an opportunity to learn more about this modality and come to your own conclusions on its validty and utility.

Wook

hi! I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on the best way to find housing around unecom. Also where are the best places to live within a very short distance from campus? PM's are welcome :)

i would also be interested in the info.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm sitting here during BacT lecture break and start browsing. Suddenly I see that our 2010 thread has dropped to the bottom of the page and is actually behind UNECOM class of 2006. I'm thinking, hell no. This just won't do....

So I'm sitting here during BacT lecture break and start browsing. Suddenly I see that our 2010 thread has dropped to the bottom of the page and is actually behind UNECOM class of 2006. I'm thinking, hell no. This just won't do....

Hmmmmm...be nice to those old dudes/dudettes in that old UNECOM 2006 thread. They'll hobble after you down the street yelling things like they're members of the Staph!!

Remember not to touch the door knobs (those awful fomites may give you NG).

Wook

People! I know it's test week, but let's keep it together :p I had to go to page 2 to find our class...

Shy, Foz, Doc? Wook (Hon. 2010)? Anybody?

I'm busy crying in my wine glass over bacT - and it's been postponed due to snow. Anyone else have problems finding out UNE was closed today? With no power, no internet, and one cell phone -- I called and called the number but there was never any recording. I finally gave up and just assumed it was closed. And now my.une is down.

We now have at least 4 branches down in our yard that we're going to need to get the chainsaw out for. Power went out at 1am, just came back 10 minutes ago. My honey cleared the driveway for me so I can get to my appointment at 11:30 (amazingly the doctor's offices are open), and he even dragged the tree limb out from in front of my car for me. :)

So tomorrow is what... phys at 10 and bacT at 2? guess I'll have to move my 2pm OMM appointment. :(

People! I know it's test week, but let's keep it together :p I had to go to page 2 to find our class...

Shy, Foz, Doc? Wook (Hon. 2010)? Anybody?

Duuuuuuude/Duuuuuuudette:

How you doing?

I can't believe you guys have snow. I'm suffering through 80 degree sunny weather.....uhhhhh perhaps I shouldn't talk it about right now.

Hang in there with all the tests!!

Wook

Y'know, Wook, if you're talkin' 80 and 80 outside (as in 80 degrees and 80% humidity), then I'd rather have the snow.

But if you're talkin' 80 degrees and FIVE percent humidity - well, then I'd be a right bit jealous.

On the other hand, I just had a MONSTER snowball fight with my kids! :laugh: So there!

Y'know, Wook, if you're talkin' 80 and 80 outside (as in 80 degrees and 80% humidity), then I'd rather have the snow.

But if you're talkin' 80 degrees and FIVE percent humidity - well, then I'd be a right bit jealous.

On the other hand, I just had a MONSTER snowball fight with my kids! :laugh: So there!

It was the latter versus the prior at the time I posted that, but it has gotten a bit cooler since then. I spent yesterday outside all day at the Master's, and I was freezing my behind off (AND it was really windy). Those folks played some GREAT golf considering the wind.

I do miss snow. A snowball fight would be nice, as would using some snowshoes.

Hope youse guys are haning in there.

Wook

So. Phys grades are back and the only one we're waiting for now is the dreaded bacT. *sigh* At least phys is over. OVER.

Speaking of bacT, tho, anyone else notice that staph and e.coli REEEEEEEK? I stayed as far away from those as possible and I still smelled it for hours after I left lab today. yuk.

So. Phys grades are back and the only one we're waiting for now is the dreaded bacT. *sigh* At least phys is over. OVER.

Speaking of bacT, tho, anyone else notice that staph and e.coli REEEEEEEK? I stayed as far away from those as possible and I still smelled it for hours after I left lab today. yuk.

Speaking of our bacT test, I heard half the class didn't pass round one. Wow--that's one skewed distribution.

I just wanna say BacT sucked major monkey butt. At least it seems I was somewhere in the middle of the distribution.

kill me. :(

I just wanna say BacT sucked major monkey butt. At least it seems I was somewhere in the middle of the distribution.

kill me. :(

I'm assuming he still does the essay exam?

Hang in there. I busted my butt for the exams and remember how unfun they were. Just do the best you can. One step at a time. If I recall correctly, his exams were ones I just squeeked by.

Wook

He still does essay exams. It truly sucked. Tell me he curves, wook. Tell me he curves. I need to get a 75 on the final to get a 70 overall now... :( :( :barf:

He still does essay exams. It truly sucked. Tell me he curves, wook. Tell me he curves. I need to get a 75 on the final to get a 70 overall now... :( :( :barf:

Shy:

I cannot tell you that he curves. Just do the best that you can. He may not curve but he does evaluate the way he words questions. With that being said, we had a few that had to utilize the exam policy for the course.

Bottom line, do the best you can that's all you can do. I know you've been working hard so hang in there.

Wook

Well Wook, he must curve. If a great number of students fail this course.. it means that something is wrong with the teaching. Plus it would mean that many MS2 should be sitting in on this class this year. So are they?

Well Wook, he must curve. If a great number of students fail this course.. it means that something is wrong with the teaching. Plus it would mean that many MS2 should be sitting in on this class this year. So are they?

I do see a few new faces in the crowd.....:eek:

docbill:

Between his re-evaluating the wording of some of his questions and the re-test policy, most folks get through it. There is no formal curve, though. If I recall correctly, about 8-10 of my class utilized the re-test.

One step at a time. Bac-T soon will be completed and you'll be looking back in a few years glad that you don't have to ever do the class again (I got alot out of the class, I just hate essay exams...yick). Realize too, that correcting the exams is a bear for him as well. I can't imagine reading through all the essays, especially the way I write.

Wook

My best thought about how to pass the next bacT exam is to tape my papers to a 70 year old bottle of single malt scotch.

My best thought about how to pass the next bacT exam is to tape my papers to a 70 year old bottle of single malt scotch.

Me personally, I would tape it to a bottle, but have the beverage 70 years old :laugh: .

You could offer him ceftriaxone 150 mg IM for every time he touches a door knob (I'm assuming he still talks about the fomites...e.g. GC (Neisseria Gonorrhea) ). Course, now that I'm prescribing the Ceftriaxone 150 and 250 (for PID) regularly, I'm not laughing as much.

Hope you all are hanging in there...and I am rooting for you all. I don't miss the 1st two years of med school too much except for the regular schedule (and going to the firing range with Hank).

Wook

PS Any word on who has been selected and accepted the position vacated by Dr. Cross?

No word on that yet, Wook. Rumor is that the position has been unofficially offered and accepted, but no word on who it is yet.

Perhaps that single malt scotch oughta be 75 years old. hmmm. A highland or a lowland scotch, d'ya think?

I think the carrot has rotted and fallen off the string dangling from the stick guiding me along...
I'm ready for 2pm on 18 May to be here!!!
We're almost there...:thumbup:

Now if only someone could reattach the carrot...:rolleyes:

Bill,
Where are you? Seriously, that e-mail you sent out...
Why you gotta diss us in this crazy time of BacT and Path evilness...
I like ... so I shall keep using them... at ... random :p
When are we going to play racquetball again?
-Stevo

foziieeee is that youuuu.. ohh boy!

Don't mean to disrespect anyone! Good luck on you courses man. You guys did great and another 2 weeks will be fine. You wil make it.

I am in Toronto and honestly Loving it!

I try not to visit this site too often since shyrm might get upset at me and diss me!!!!

Good luck man.. keep pushing it.
docBBBBB

Bill,
Where are you? Seriously, that e-mail you sent out...
Why you gotta diss us in this crazy time of BacT and Path evilness...
I like ... so I shall keep using them... at ... random :p
When are we going to play racquetball again?
-Stevo

*sniff*

docbill, you don't love me anymore.

*sniff*

we miss you. when you comin' back??? Or are you going to leave us forever and go to c/o 2011???

*sniff*

Hey Bill, everything ok? You are joining the class of 2011 now? Whats going on man?

On a side note, any one in you all's class have a room or two available for rent for the month of August. I secured a place from Sept till May, but need to have one for that first month. If there is anyway your guys can ask around, that would be awesome. Thank everyone.

-Rob

hey, don't believe anything !!!

Redwings, I'd love to help you out, but at this point I'm just hoping to have my own bedroom by August. We're building a garage with a master suite over it onto the house, and the hall connecting the upstairs portion is going right through our current bedroom. I'll be swingin' a hammer all summer long (and hoping that our pipes are put together right!).

Redwings, I'd love to help you out, but at this point I'm just hoping to have my own bedroom by August. We're building a garage with a master suite over it onto the house, and the hall connecting the upstairs portion is going right through our current bedroom. I'll be swingin' a hammer all summer long (and hoping that our pipes are put together right!).

Shy, say I lend you a hand swinging that hammer? Would that warrant having a tent in the backyard? Thanks for the offer though. You know of anyone else in your class who might have a spare room? Good luck in BacT and your other classes these last couple of weeks. And thanks for being such a valuable resource to future UNECOMers as well as all future doctors. Take care.

-Rob

tent in the backyard is free. but you gotta put up with two dogs and two kids. No sprinkler system, tho. :laugh:

tent in the backyard is free. but you gotta put up with two dogs and two kids. No sprinkler system, tho. :laugh:

You make your kids live in a tent with two dogs in your back yard?!!

Man, I thought I had it rough when I was growing up as I lived in a shoebox in two...make that three feet of snow in the winter. Of course, I didn't have to share my shoebox with any siblings or pets.:laugh:

Wook

Fffffffrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!

Congrats guys. Enjoy your summer and see you all in August. Take care.
-Rob

Yes congrats for finishing first year. You guys worked hard and now its done.

Congrats for finishing your first year!!! It goes by so quick doesn't it! Enjoy your summer, you wont have many more!