*^*UNECOM Class of 2011*^*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
equipment:
diagnostic kit (runs about $300-400)
stethoscope (a good one will go about $150-200)
OMM table ($300-500)
Tuning forks, mallet, penlights, etc (about $50)

And of course, you'll need scrubs for anatomy lab, gloves, scalpel blades, etc. Most of the basic dissection stuff will be found in lab (used but in reasonable condition) but you can always buy your own if you want.

Many folks don't buy a table (you can check one out from the OMM department for free if you wish). Others buy an inexpensive massage table instead for $200 (some say it's fine, other say doesn't work as well). You can get expensive stuff or cheap stuff -- your preference. Shop around and you can save some major money.
====================================================

Thanks for the heads up on those costs. I believe a recent mailing said that we need equipment for the beginning of class. Do we have a couple of weeks? I'm not sure how much I can spend before I get my fin-aid.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe the only things you'll need for the first couple of weeks are the scrubs, scalpel blades (size 22, fits a No 4 handle). I don't think we used any of the diagnostic stuff until about a month in. Fozzie? Your memory any better than mine? (gosh starting first year seems SOOO long ago now)

The table is for home for practicing on friends, family, roommates, etc. Definitely not necessary, but can be helpful. You can also just go to the school to the OMM lab to practice or like I said before, check a table out from the OMM dept. I think you can borrow them for like 3 days at a time or so.

And remember, the gloves need to be latex-free. So Nitrile or Trilon or something like that. But NO LATEX. (which is a bummer, I rather like latex gloves.)

So, what exactly do we need in the diagnostic set? Just the opthalmascope and the BP cuff? I'm just shopping around, looking at prices. Oddly enough, my husband's mom owns a table for her summer business. Maybe I can borrow it for the year. Otherwise, I'm thinking check one out. Though, massagewarehouse.com has one for $199, if anyone is interested.

Also, allheart.com sells nitrile gloves 2 for $21, if you can't steal. Is there a particular color/type of scrubs that are best?

Thanks! I'm such a planner, it's driving me nuts not having more details.

Members don't see this ad :)
Duh, my husband just gave me the brilliant idea of calling UNE and asking all these pressing questions. thanks everyone for all the info so far!

rgerwin, the best scrubs are cheap ones that fit. Like fozzie said, you'll be burning them later (unless you own a super duper washer, you'll never get the stink out of them). Also, a sacrificial bra for the women would be good - again, you'll never get the stink out of 'em.

And a diagnostic set is both an opthalmascope and an otoscope.

As for being a planner -- so was I. Until school started. then I got so busy that I didn't have time to plan. :laugh: (wish I was kidding)

anyone know what size scalpel blades you use in anatomy? i can grab those from work along with the gloves. very off topic but does anybody know about the planet fitness in biddeford and/or portland. and by the way, packing to move sucks:thumbdown:

-I think Shy's right, 24 blade or something like that, I know it was in the 20's. That was eons ago! HAhA.

-Nitrile or NON LATEX gloves only! Allheart.com is not very reliable, at least I had a bad time with them last year.

-Scrubs: wallymarts, worknwear (south portland next to Dick's sporting goods) um...online somewhere. Any color you like. I wore black scrubs with a pirate (skull n crossbones) patch on my pocket :D

-Planet Fitness Biddo: small club but nice, much better than the weight room and cardio eqipment on campus.
PFit Portland: HUGE and very very nice.
I have the $10/mo plan. I transfered my membership over from my old gym in NY via PFit's website. Esay and hassle free.

-S

Does anyone know if we definitely need the PDA as a first year med student? I thought that was used during your clinical years...? Also, are there any second year med students who can give advice on buying books? Should we get all the required and recommended books? Or just the required? Definitely stressing about the cost of everything :(

Fozzie, I actually checked my box (it was in my desk). I still had half a box leftover!! They're great for stencils.

PDA: i used mine extensively, but that's because i put all the ppt files on it and used it to study when I was out with my kids, waiting in line, getting my hair cut, etc. The PDA fit a whole lot easier into my purse than my laptop or printouts did.

As for books (yes, i'm an MSII), that depends a lot on you. I tended to use mainly books not on either list. You just need to figure out what's best for you. The dissector is a MUST. MUST MUST MUST. Figure out the rest as you go.

Do any of you MSII's know what our commitments will be for the first weekend in school? I think we have class Wed, Thurs and Fri that week (with orientation Mon and Tues)...do you guys remember if there was school stuff going on that weekend? I have a wedding in MA that I would really like to attend, but I don't know if I can swing it. I know during the first week of school there are vendors around and a time when we can sign up for various clubs, buy used books from MSII's, etc....just didn't know if that occurs during the week or not. Thanks....

Oh, and FYI for those of you who have not yet received the most recent UNECOM mailing....our academic year has been extended one week!! Last official day is now May 23rd (not sure if that includes exams or not). Important stuff for those of us planning our summer activities!

Do any of you MSII's know what our commitments will be for the first weekend in school? I think we have class Wed, Thurs and Fri that week (with orientation Mon and Tues)...do you guys remember if there was school stuff going on that weekend? I have a wedding in MA that I would really like to attend, but I don't know if I can swing it. I know during the first week of school there are vendors around and a time when we can sign up for various clubs, buy used books from MSII's, etc....just didn't know if that occurs during the week or not.

Clubs and organizations fair is scheduled for Tuesday August 7th in the afternoon. You'll be able to sign up for clubs then. Last year we had a 1st years kinda night at a local bar with live music. The first weekend all I remember having was the Casco Bay (boooze) Cruise and studying, yes studying b/c our anatomy professor wanted us to memorize the brachial plexus (big mish mash of important nerves in the upper body). But who knows, you have a new professor maybe he'll cut you some slack for the first weekend...;) The Cruise is not mandatory, its just a fun filled optional kind of group thing.

Books: Only get what you need for 1st Trimester unless you are A) on scholarship and can afford a load of books or B) You're rich C) Someone else is buying them for you. I'd recommend just getting Gray's Anatomy and the Dissector first. You'll want those right away. As for everything else, you'll get a nice round of informational sessions the first day of orientation with advice for what books to get for each class. As has been said, its all a matter of personal preference. I might use a book someone else feels is completely useless and vice versa. Powerpoints provided by individual professors are very helpful and sometimes full of the information you need. Other times you need the books.

PDAs: Not mandatory but useful if you already have one or feel the need to stay ultra organized and studying (yes I too carried around my PDA with powerpoints and notes on them). Fun to carry around and look important too!

Hey guys.

I have been reading the forum for recent updates about equipment that we have to get and I AM GOING CRAAAAAAAZYYYYYY:confused:
I received a list of the required medical equipments, which is listed as follows:

1 stethoscope
1 adult-sized sphyg.
Diagnostic Kit.
1 Reflex Hammer
1 Examination Gown
Poket Eye Chart
Medical Bag (optional)

It does not say anything about getting scalpals, gloves, or scrubs! Can somebody clarify PLEASE. And what stuff do we need for the first week of classes? What do I have to buy now?

if somebody can help clarify for me, I would really really really appreciate it.

Hey guys.
if somebody can help clarify for me, I would really really really appreciate it.

Okay, seriously, everyone chillax!

1st week: You start Gross, therefore you'll need:
Scrubs (1 set to start off, ladies: a bra you'll never wish to associate w again...ever)
Scalpal blades (however, your cadavermates can work out a deal and split the cost)
Grays Anatomy textbook
Grant's Dissector
Nitrile or NON-Latex Gloves (1 box is fine)
Pair of old nasty sneakers you'll leave in the gross anatomy locker room
Your brain
bottled water
your favorite NSAIDs

Forget buying a dissecting kit. You have all of the tools available to you in the Anatomy lab. You might luck out and find old grody dissectors in your lab drawers too. Be mindful of your fav probes and forceps, they can sprout legs and disappear.

Don't worry about the medical instruments (Steth, ophthalamo, BP cuff etc) for the first week and most likely the second week, last year we did not really need any instruments until the 5th week. You'll get your EOM schedule (the class you need the instruments for) the 1st week.
So, seriously enjoy the last few weeks of your summer.
Happy and safe travels up here to Maine on your moves (if you haven't done so yet).

I did speak with the bookstore peeps yesterday, they were not 100% sure about the medical kits as of yet. I know they are working on getting them approved at a similar pricepoint as we had last year. Give them a call and help motivate them to do so. :)

Cheers,
-S

Thank you very much Fozzie for the clarifications :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
you dont even need to buy all that stuff the first week. As I remember there was usually a bunch of stuff left over in your lap drawer from the year before. See what you have and what you really need. Dont spend all that money on a disecting kit... you probably wont need most of it. Just make sure you have a few pairs of gloves for the first week! Good luck, and remember that it is all downhill after first year!

do you guys know if it's a big issue to use Gray's Anatomy 2004 edition instead of the 2005 edition? I looked for Gray's Anatomy online using the ISBN they gave me in the list and the 4th edition is the one that comes up.

thanks you guys

Hello all,

My wife (Eva - who is just finishing up her 3rd year at UNECOM) and I are looking for housemates for next year. Our house is about 8 minutes from campus in a nice residential area and has a nice yard with a deck overlooking a private backyard. We have two upstairs bedrooms available (17' x 16' and 17' x 13') that have big closets as well as a shared coat closet. We share the kitchen which has plenty of space for everyone's food and dishes. The upstairs bedrooms share a bathroom. We have off-street parking, laundry, wireless high-speed internet, and a housekeeper who comes every two weeks. The smaller bedroom is wired for DirecTV with TiVo. We are looking for people who are friendly, respectful, neat, and value a good home study environment. Non-smokers only and no uncaged pets please. Rent is $530/month which includes all utilities, the internet, and unlimited long distance phone. If you are interested, PM me and I will send you pictures of the house and all the rooms as well as a phone number where we can be contacted.

Cabot (and Eva)

do you guys know if it's a big issue to use Gray's Anatomy 2004 edition instead of the 2005 edition? I looked for Gray's Anatomy online using the ISBN they gave me in the list and the 4th edition is the one that comes up.

thanks you guys

Human anatomy has not changed in the past couple of years! There are lots of books out there... many are better than others. You can use whatever you want... use whatever book makes it easier for you to learn.

Oh hey MSI,

I'm going to be MS II this Aug, and I have tons of books to sell that I've used for the first year. If you're interested in taking a look, I can bring them in a box and meet you on campus. If used books at a bargain price is your thing, (rather paying a premium at the bookstore for new books) PM me, and do it quick because they'll be gone quickly. :) Thanks

I'm an Orientation Leader so i'll be look forward to see you guys in Aug.
:D

Couple of questions for those that may know....

From what I've gathered, the dissector is a must and so I will be getting that in time for the first day of classes.
But what about Gray's Anatomy vs. Netter. Is there an advantage to getting one over the other or should I invest in both?

Based on the last mailing it seems I'll need to review some Biochem. Any suggestions as to when to get to that?

And a completely unrelated question--any year round ice skating rinks in the area?? I found one but it appears that it's only open from October to March.

Thanks in advance!!

Couple of questions for those that may know....

From what I've gathered, the dissector is a must and so I will be getting that in time for the first day of classes.
But what about Gray's Anatomy vs. Netter. Is there an advantage to getting one over the other or should I invest in both?

Based on the last mailing it seems I'll need to review some Biochem. Any suggestions as to when to get to that?

And a completely unrelated question--any year round ice skating rinks in the area?? I found one but it appears that it's only open from October to March.

Thanks in advance!!

Definitely get the Grant's Dissector and keep a copy at home for your own studying and memorizing important structures you dissected in the lab which tends to help on lab practicals

Gray's Anatomy is also a must, because it gets into more details on each gross anatomy parts (i.e. common fracture, tear, internal bleeding, pathology) which tends to help on written exams

You'll need an Anatomy Atlas to help you tie together and visualize the location and relationship of all the body parts, blood vessels, nerves, muscles, bones, landmarks. This is where Netters or Grants Atlas comes in (i would say definitely get it in addition to the dissector and Gray's Anatomy)

ice skating rank, october - march = i guess pretty good since summer in maine = tourist season.. not a lot of people ice skate, everybody is at the beach. so i would probably stick with that one.

For Head and Neck, there is also another specialized Atlas. I can give reference to.

anyways.. I have all the books above for sale :) so PM me

Oh yeah.. Reviewing Biochem is a good idea, this way you can skin through the readings fast (only do this if you never had biochem before). As the class tends to just assign a lot of reading and short periods of time before quizzes/exams/team assignments. Plus you have other classes going on at the same time. So, do some work during the summer will probably save a little bit of time when crunch time comes.

I also i have this book for sale :) so PM me

Word classmates.

Got here a few weeks ago but then had some weddings, etc. I am at 54 sullivan st off of water st if anyone is in the neighborhood and wants to hang. Downstairs apt...

went to some of the yummy restaurants in portland with visiting friends-grittys (saw my 1st/2nd year roommate from Colby there randomly), flatbread, ri ra, etc...

The neighbor hood looks a little rough around me but everyone has been ok so far.

So...I dont think I got a booklist-did you guys? I could really use that. Let me know if I can get it from you.

Going to nova Scotia AND pei for 10 days leaving in a few days.

hope all is well with everyone
dave

do you guys know where, how many, and what kind of scalpel blades should I buy at least for now?

do you guys know where, how many, and what kind of scalpel blades should I buy at least for now?

let's say 4 blades every 2 days, 90 days = 3 month,

90/2 = 45 x 4 = 180 blades.

So i would probably buy a box of 100-150, since we don't work on weekends :)

SO it would be worth getting a box off 100 24 blades? I found them pretty.c heap.

so one box is enough for now, but where should I buy those from? do they sell online? I looked at allhearts and they don't see any!

One box was more than enough for my entire table. We all pitched in some money and bought one box at the beginning of class. Look for medical supply stores or the bookstore at UNE stocks them.

Hey, could somebody please post the laptop specs and what immunization records they need? For some reason I still haven't gotten these mailings. Thanks!!!

so we managed to get all of our stuff moved in over the weekend and now we're slowly getting settled in and unpacked. if anyone is in the portland area and wants to grab some dinner or a drink feel free to drop me a line. that letter we got about biochem was a scary wake up call that this year will definitely get worse before it gets better.:(

Ok, this might have been talked about before....but can I get a macbook even if the screen is 1200x800 and not 1200x1024 like unecom demands?? Is it really that important? Because I really don't want a giant screen, I like the little 13"

Screen resolution does not matter.. plenty of people have MacBook and MacBook pros at UNECOM.

Books for Sale List for MSI year,

I forgot to attach a book list that I'm selling. Please contact me for price and availability.

I have the following books available,

For EOM:
1. Bates - Guide to Physical Examinations and History Taking Eighth, Ed. (with EOM reading assignments in the book)
2. Bates - Case Studies to Accompany Guide to physical Examinations and history Taking Eighth, Ed.

For Gross Anatomy:
3. Rohen - Color Atlas of Anatomy Fifth Ed, (Real Cadav. Images)
4. Sampson - Atlas of the Human Skull (Helps on the Head & Neck Section of Gross Anatomy)

For Parasitology,Virology, Bacteriology:
5. Clinical Microbiology made ridiculously simple, Third Ed.
6. Medical Microbiology, Third Ed.

For Histology:
7. Gartner/Hiatt – Color Atlas of Histology, 3rd Ed.

For Population Health/Epidemiology:
8. Young, “Population Health” – Concepts and Methods, 2nd Ed.

For Biocehmistry:
9. Marks’ Essentials of Medical Biochemistry (a clinical approach), 2007
10. BRS Biochemistry 3rd Edition.

For Pharmacology:
11. Lippincott’s illustrated Review of Pharmacology, 2nd Ed.

For Physiology:
12. Lange – Review of Medical Physiology, 20th Ed.
13. BRS Physiology 2nd Edition.

For Pathology:
14. Goljan – Pathology Rapid Review (Good for USMLE 1 and UNECOM’s Pathology Course)

Bright Futures in Practice Nutrition, ISBN 1-57285-063-9

****I might be welling to part with my Grant's Dissector, but I have a lot of fond memories with it :(. Also Gray's Anatomy for students. Maybe Even netters Atlas of Human Anatomy.******

PM me. :) Remember.. make me your best offers, and tell me how much you want to pay for them.. obviously best estimate is 25-30% Below retail value, unless if you're picking up many books at a time.. more discount can be made. let's say if you want to take 5 books for 200 bucks.. i might say ok :) heh. Let me know.

question for you 2nd years. I got Grant's Dissector from my friend, but her version is by "Sauerland," not "Tank" as on our book list. Do you think it matters? thanks!

question for you 2nd years. I got Grant's Dissector from my friend, but her version is by "Sauerland," not "Tank" as on our book list. Do you think it matters? thanks!

it actually does,

the Tank version is the newer version, and is blue instead of green. It contains more information and assignments, readings, figures are easier to refer to from the syllabus with reference to gray's anatomy book and anatomy atlas. I would say stay away from the older version.

I have the Tank version :) for sale, never been in the lab, in great condition. PM me :)

Books for Sale List for MSI year,

I forgot to attach a book list that I'm selling. Please contact me for price and availability.

I have the following books available,

For EOM:
1. Bates - Guide to Physical Examinations and History Taking Eighth, Ed. (with EOM reading assignments in the book)
2. Bates - Case Studies to Accompany Guide to physical Examinations and history Taking Eighth, Ed.

For Gross Anatomy:
3. Rohen - Color Atlas of Anatomy Fifth Ed, (Real Cadav. Images)
4. Sampson - Atlas of the Human Skull (Helps on the Head & Neck Section of Gross Anatomy)

For Parasitology,Virology, Bacteriology:
5. Clinical Microbiology made ridiculously simple, Third Ed.
6. Medical Microbiology, Third Ed.

For Histology:
7. Gartner/Hiatt – Color Atlas of Histology, 3rd Ed.

For Population Health/Epidemiology:
8. Young, “Population Health” – Concepts and Methods, 2nd Ed.

For Biocehmistry:
9. Marks’ Essentials of Medical Biochemistry (a clinical approach), 2007
10. BRS Biochemistry 3rd Edition.

For Pharmacology:
11. Lippincott’s illustrated Review of Pharmacology, 2nd Ed.

For Physiology:
12. Lange – Review of Medical Physiology, 20th Ed.
13. BRS Physiology 2nd Edition.

For Pathology:
14. Goljan – Pathology Rapid Review (Good for USMLE 1 and UNECOM’s Pathology Course)

Bright Futures in Practice Nutrition, ISBN 1-57285-063-9

****I might be welling to part with my Grant's Dissector, but I have a lot of fond memories with it :(. Also Gray's Anatomy for students. Maybe Even netters Atlas of Human Anatomy.******

PM me. :) Remember.. make me your best offers, and tell me how much you want to pay for them.. obviously best estimate is 25-30% Below retail value, unless if you're picking up many books at a time.. more discount can be made. let's say if you want to take 5 books for 200 bucks.. i might say ok :) heh. Let me know.

I would definately hang on to "clinical micro made rid. Simple" and "Goljan" for boards studying... step 1 and would could be helpful for step 2. Also, make sure you hang onto a physiology book. Best of Luck!

I get cold easily and am wondering if I should get long sleeve scrubs, or will that just be too gross & get wet?
Thanks

long sleeve scrub = will get cadaver juice on it, and you can't get it off after you done with lab. People soap up and wash their hands, wrist, forearm most of the time. so I would imagine you're probably going to have the long sleeve rolled up to while working in the lab. in that case.. just wear a thicker short sleeve T-shirt if you get cold easily. unless you have a tons of extra money for a two new long sleeve t-shirt every week. then long sleeve might be ok.

How many scrub sets will we need overall?

Depends on your washer and how dirty you get 'em. I know people that just used the same one pair all through anatomy (and they smelled like it). I know people that washed their scrubs weekly (if you have a normal everyday run of the mill washer not equipped for nasty icky stuff like what's on your scrubs, I wouldn't recommend this - unless your washing machine is super-duper the stink will stay in the washer and your scrubs won't get clean either). And there were people that just brought new scrubs in every couple of weeks.

So it depends on you. Just how dirty are you gonna get and how stinky do you care to be? (not like you or your classmates can tell after the first couple of days -- you become immune to the smell.)

Just called about something else but found out that the year extension does include exams.

Hi all.

UNE decided to make the late call to the bullpen and pulled me from the ASA on Monday and I am quite excited (it sure made a day of wrangling drunks on the ambulance go by fast). Now I just have to get my stuff together in three weeks…

Looking forward to meeting everyone at orientation.

Wow, that's awesome! And hectic. Are you coming from far?

Wondering if there are any MSIIs out there who could answer this question: I thought I read a post on sdn or maybe heard it from somewhere else to "bring your checkbooks" to orientation because there are things we are going to want to buy. Is that true and if so, what sort of stuff? Is it going to be things like the diagnostic kit? Should I hold off in buying a diagnostic kit and buy one there?

Also, anyone know of any intramural soccer teams to join up there?

Thanks in advance!:)

Hi guys! I just wanted to thank all the MSII's who are so good about answering all our questions in this thread...it's really a big help to us. :)

Well, I just ordered my laptop, and got sucked in to the MacBook Pro. I know I definitely don't need all that comes with it, and the MacBook would have been fine, but I had a real issue with the screen size. The 13 inch was just too small for me and the 15 inch was perfect. I've never had a Mac before, but I'm excited to try something new...I really think I'll like it.... Anyone else getting a Mac for the first time?

Do most people bring their laptops to class everyday?

Oh, and it was so nice to meet some other MSI's for the first time! A few of us met up last week through a facebook invite thing (thanks Scott) and I'm even more excited now---seems like we have a great class so far! Can't wait to meet everyone else! I'm going to try to have a cookout (haha, we need to get a grill, first...) before class starts at the house I'm renting. It's on Pool St. about a mile from UNE. I'll let you guys know when I plan it.

There are things you'll want to buy -- club memberships, professional memberships (AMSA, SOMA, etc), books you don't yet have, knick-knacks you can't live without... but mainly the club membership fees and special deals some of them have. Also books if you don't have them yet.

If you can get a diagnostic kit cheaper that you like, I'd get it there. The brand doesn't matter as much as whether you like it and can afford it. Also, I don't think you'll need the diagnostic kit right away -- a couple of weeks into school I think.

OK,

Soccergirl, there are intramural teams that they have here and also that you can join in town. Our class had people that played on both teams. The start them just after the intramural football is finished or just ending. All you first years who are interested; if you don't already know, it is a tradition to have the Chili Bowl (football game against the 1st and 2nd years) after the gross final. And I must say that, of all the undergrads and COM teams, the 2010 COM class were/are the champions for intramural football!!! I also played on the men's volleyball team which is a club sport here at UNE.

For the whole concern about scrubs; I had 2 sets (I ordered the one's that had the UNECOM logo... which I think are pretty awesome) that I would wear during the week and wash every few days with my regular laundry and had no problems at all. They also make for great studying garb when you don't have time to get all doll'd up like some people do....

You all will get information (from the MSII's at orientation) about which books are better to have. I have to say that when looking at the Gray's and then at the other book they have in the bookstore ... something about clinical anatomy, I think that book blows away Gray's.

Like Fossie said, just chill-ax and wait for the orientation.

Oh yeah, your laptop can be any ole laptop. All you really use it for is to view powerpoints that are provided by the instructor... of course with wireless capability. The whole Alfond building is wireless as well as most other buildings on campus.

Finally, it is a great idea to get together before the orienation. Plan time to either go to Portland with classmates or to Old Orchard Beach (OOB). It will be a relief to know some people before coming to orientation... and while being at orientation.:)'

Enjoy your summer and see you in a few weeks

Steve