UNECOM vs. DMU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

holyguacamole5

Reaction score
Currently put a deposit down at UNECOM but got an II for DMU-COM that I was not expecting at all. My initial reaction to getting the II was that I forgot I even applied to the school, then I thought "ew Iowa", then realized that this is one of the top DO schools. I need some help deciding if I should attend the interview or not because money is a little tight and the flights out are expensive.

UNECOM
Pros
  • Close to home (live on east coast) + awesome location
  • Love the collaborative & supportive community
  • Good match list + board pass rates
  • Real cadavers
  • Instant good gut feeling
  • Accepted to another DO program but chose to put a deposit here
Cons
  • Clinical rotations not super diverse
  • More expensive than DMU-COM and no scholarships available

DMU-COM
Pros
  • AMAZING match list & board scores (currently interested in ortho)
  • Supportive community from what I've read so far
  • Lower tuition + scholarships available
Cons
  • Cost to travel there for the interview
  • I don't know anything about the midwest & Iowa in general....although Des Moines seems like a cool city but I'm a beach gal and obviously it's landlocked
  • Am I just interviewing to be on the waitlist right now?
Summary: Right now, I'm still hoping for an MD interview and would drop however much money I need to go to one of those. I fell in love with UNECOM and would be 100% happy going there. But now that I have this opportunity at a school that would really help me match into ortho, I'm wondering if it's worth going to the interview. UNECOM does match into surgery as well so I know I'd be fine there, and even talked to a faculty member about it and she was so supportive. Can anyone give me more insight into DMU-COM as well?

Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

I realize that's generally what people say but why do you think it's one of the best?
Easy, just look at their match list (compare the PC : non-PC ratio and the University : Community program ratio with other DO schools), their high board score average, The GME programs they've developed and affiliated with. The latter guarantee you a great clinical education and +/- good letters for residency. Research opportunities, and name brand recognition in the area and the country with DMU being one of the oldest DO schools, ect...

IMO DO schools rankings should be something like that:

State DO schools > PCOM-PA > DMU > KCU > all other schools

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you’re interested in ortho I’d actually say do whichever one is closest Geographically to a lot of ortho programs (particularly traditionally osteopathic ones). That’ll make a difference when you’re applying, plus gives you a chance to shadow early and build some relationships.

I get the appeal. Interviewed at UNECOM when I was applying to med school and was really wowed by the place. Location was just unreal.

Reactions: 1 user