Unecom Vs Nova

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mandolin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any input? I like both and there are things about both that I dont like. Anyone in a similar situation?? What are you leaning towards?

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the same perdiciment, but with LECOM-Bradenton and PCOM (and it is not fun). I think I'm leaning towards LECOM-Bradenton for a number of reasons. I think the PBL learning path is best for my learning style (which is an imortant element for success). The school is new but that could have its advantages.

Basically I made a list of pros and cons for each school. Then I asked myself what my life goals are, and which school will help me acheive thoes. I recomend you do the same. As it turns out many of the reasons why I was thinking about PCOM were more social (my boyfriend and I will be seperated for quite some time if i go to FL). Thoes social hesitations will not help me become the best doctor I can be. So Which school will help you to become the best doctor YOU can be.

I hope this helps and wasn't just rambling, if anything it is reassuring to me :) Good Luck!!

mandolin said:
Anyone have any input? I like both and there are things about both that I dont like. Anyone in a similar situation?? What are you leaning towards?

Well would have been in the same situation, but i have been living up here in maine for 3 years now (Moved up from Orlando) and i have come to realize that althought everything up here is so laid back and simply a nice place to live it is way to cold for me and simply just too laid back.

I must add though besides the weather UNE seemes to be a good school. However I did read somewhere that UNE is having a hard time getting their students to pass their boards recently and they were re-evaluating their curriculum. Since I have not confirmed if this is true or not , I would look into it.

As far as leaning towards NSUCOM, well that comes from the # of hospitals in florida that they are assosiated with. UNE has to ship all except 20 or so of their students out of state (to vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut and I think New York) for their 3 and 4th years since Maine Medical Center is the only hospital in maine for their students. And at least 15 of the spots in Maine Med are dedicated to students of the FAME (fincance authority of maine) program and they are given preferance over other students to stay here in maine. Hope this Helps

Members don't see this ad :)
There are a ton of good reasons to choose UNE, and some decent ones not to, but you should start with the truth and go from there. The previous post has some inaccuracies...

Maine Medical Center is a clinical sight for UNE, it, however, is not the only one in Maine. Also available to UNE students are the Eastern Maine Medical Center, the Southern Maine Medical Center, the Central Maine Medical Center, Maine General Augusta, Maine General Waterville, and Inland Hospital. EMMC, CMMC, and MMC are all tertiary level care facilities. UNE has so many sights in Maine that they've actually divided them into two different training centers, one for southern Maine and the other for eastern/central Maine. There are more than 20 spots.

Also, 15 spots are not reserved for FAME students. UNE must accept only 5 FAME students per year, and speaking as someone who applied and was accepted through the program I can promise you that at no time did any one at UNE or FAME tell me that I would have to do my clerkships in Maine, or that I would receive any kind of preference in gaining a spot for Maine clerkships. FAME students are guaranteed to do a FP/rural med rotation in ME, but these are hardly hard to come by.

From all the research I did into the school, both students and alumni said that picking spots for rotations was not too bad a process, and almost everyone ends up where they want to.

Hope some of that helps...

nocdzm4wpw said:
There are a ton of good reasons to choose UNE, and some decent ones not to, but you should start with the truth and go from there. The previous post has some inaccuracies...

Maine Medical Center is a clinical sight for UNE, it, however, is not the only one in Maine. Also available to UNE students are the Eastern Maine Medical Center, the Southern Maine Medical Center, the Central Maine Medical Center, Maine General Augusta, Maine General Waterville, and Inland Hospital. EMMC, CMMC, and MMC are all tertiary level care facilities. UNE has so many sights in Maine that they've actually divided them into two different training centers, one for southern Maine and the other for eastern/central Maine. There are more than 20 spots.

Also, 15 spots are not reserved for FAME students. UNE must accept only 5 FAME students per year, and speaking as someone who applied and was accepted through the program I can promise you that at no time did any one at UNE or FAME tell me that I would have to do my clerkships in Maine, or that I would receive any kind of preference in gaining a spot for Maine clerkships. FAME students are guaranteed to do a FP/rural med rotation in ME, but these are hardly hard to come by.

From all the research I did into the school, both students and alumni said that picking spots for rotations was not too bad a process, and almost everyone ends up where they want to.

Hope some of that helps...

12 southern ME (SMMC, Mercy, Maine Med), 6 augusta/waterville, 18 Bangor (EMMC). FAME students do get preference for ME clerkships third year, but there are only 5 of us and you can go elsewhere if you chose in which case you lottery with everyone else. Everyone does AHEC in rural ME in late 3rd or 4th year.

http://www.une.edu/com/clinical/ for more info

something to keep in mind with UNECOM's board pass rate is that the admin does not screen out the "marginal" students like other schools. In other words, everyone takes boards. Alot of school skim the bottom x % prior to June and require additional study time thus giving a higher pass rate. That said, it all comes down to your own study habits and how much time you put in during MS1/MS2.