UNECOM vs WVSOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

holdmystethoscope

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone, This is my first year applying and interviewing and so far I have been accepted to WVSOM and UNECOM. I am from New York and leaning more toward UNECOM due to its location. UNECOM and WVSOM both have friendly faculty members and great match list. Am I missing anything here regarding picking UNECOM over WVSOM? Any input will be appreciated.

Thank you so so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Fellow New Yorker here who was accepted to both. I'd be inclined to pick UNECOM over West Virginia because, as you said, location.

Location will be the deal breaker for many. I am fortunate to live a few hours away from WVSOM, so getting back and forth every 2-3 weeks from home is a blessing. WVSOM is a great place to be, as is UNECOM Im sure. Ive worked with a lot of alumni from WVSOM and all of them are doing great in their careers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't wvcom considerably more expensive?

Isn't wvcom considerably more expensive?

Nope. Its not.

UNECOM is $52, 690 (out of state and in statee)

WVSOM is $50,200 (oos) $20,450 (instate)

Plus WVSOM is an only medical school facility whereas UNECOM is one of 6 different colleges for an entire institution. My personal opinion, I rather go to a place where the school is focused solely on medical school.

Best to inquire in the school-specific threads. Where's @Mad Jack when you need him?

Hello Everyone, This is my first year applying and interviewing and so far I have been accepted to WVSOM and UNECOM. I am from New York and leaning more toward UNECOM due to its location. UNECOM and WVSOM both have friendly faculty members and great match list. Am I missing anything here regarding picking UNECOM over WVSOM? Any input will be appreciated.

Thank you so so much.

Nope. Its not.

UNECOM is $52, 690 (out of state and in statee)

WVSOM is $50,200 (oos) $20,450 (instate)

Plus WVSOM is an only medical school facility whereas UNECOM is one of 6 different colleges for an entire institution. My personal opinion, I rather go to a place where the school is focused solely on medical school.
We've got our own facilities for most of the medical school stuff. Only time the undergrads were ever a problem (all of the other graduate programs are not located in Biddeford, but rather in Portland) were when it came to parking. We had our own budget, with strong support from UNE for larger projects if necessary, so they were more on our side than in our way (in fact I can't think of a single time the COM had a conflict of interest with UNE, but I can think of numerous times that we benefitted from the arrangement in regard to finances, facilities, and the opportunity to work with other professions from the Portland campus).

UNE's location is fantastic. You can live on the beach for a fraction of what it'd cost elsewhere in the country, the food is excellent, Portland has great night life, lobsta for days, etc. The curriculum is always changing and currently has mandatory attendance, so make sure that's something you can deal with (though there's much talk of changes down the line, so who knows what it'll be like by the time you start). I don't know what WVSOM's curriculum is like, so I can't comment as to that. UNE also has clinical campus placement all over the Northeast, so imagine where you'd like to spend third year as well since that is a big factor for many. I'd pick UNE myself, but naturally I'm biased.

Reactions: 1 user
We've got our own facilities for most of the medical school stuff. Only time the undergrads were ever a problem (all of the other graduate programs are not located in Biddeford, but rather in Portland) were when it came to parking. We had our own budget, with strong support from UNE for larger projects if necessary, so they were more on our side than in our way (in fact I can't think of a single time the COM had a conflict of interest with UNE, but I can think of numerous times that we benefitted from the arrangement in regard to finances, facilities, and the opportunity to work with other professions from the Portland campus).

UNE's location is fantastic. You can live on the beach for a fraction of what it'd cost elsewhere in the country, the food is excellent, Portland has great night life, lobsta for days, etc. The curriculum is always changing and currently has mandatory attendance, so make sure that's something you can deal with (though there's much talk of changes down the line, so who knows what it'll be like by the time you start). I don't know what WVSOM's curriculum is like, so I can't comment as to that. UNE also has clinical campus placement all over the Northeast, so imagine where you'd like to spend third year as well since that is a big factor for many. I'd pick UNE myself, but naturally I'm biased.

Yep and Im from WVSOM, and naturally biased so its all good. :) Very pleased and happy where I am at. Love the people and the administration.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks Everyone. I loved both WVSOM and UNECOM. Both schools had dedicated faculty members who seemed to care about their students a lot. WVSOM seemed like a great school but as someone from NYC, portland might be a better option for me compared to Lewisburg.

UNECOM is NOT what it was. I am a first year as of this past Fall and I am miserable. They have made all lectures (up to 8 hours a day of sitting in the same spot) MANDATORY. They have some, frankly, draconian new policies in place that are new also this year that make it a very terrifying place. Some of my friends have been kicked out already in their first semester of their first year because they narrowly missed passing a Block exam. And, don't get me wrong - they passed the course, but missed an exam. They will throw out the baby with the bathwater here without two thoughts about how devastating that is for a student. They don't care and won't bat an eye if you miss an exam by a few points. Go anywhere else but here. I regret my choice so, so deeply. But, of course, it was NOT like this when I accepted my place among the class last winter. DO NOT GO HERE. YOU WILL REGRET IT.

You are bumping old threads with the same copy and paste message. You are obviously a disgruntled student (or maybe dismissed student) but either way figure out a better way to get your message across. No one will take you seriously given the way you are choosing to proclaim your message. I think you may have some valid points given my discussions with current students but you come off as a whining, immature child.

UNECOM is NOT what it was. I am a first year as of this past Fall and I am miserable. They have made all lectures (up to 8 hours a day of sitting in the same spot) MANDATORY. They have some, frankly, draconian new policies in place that are new also this year that make it a very terrifying place. Some of my friends have been kicked out already in their first semester of their first year because they narrowly missed passing a Block exam. And, don't get me wrong - they passed the course, but missed an exam. They will throw out the baby with the bathwater here without two thoughts about how devastating that is for a student. They don't care and won't bat an eye if you miss an exam by a few points. Go anywhere else but here. I regret my choice so, so deeply. But, of course, it was NOT like this when I accepted my place among the class last winter. DO NOT GO HERE. YOU WILL REGRET IT.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
WVSOM is so big , I dont think there would be any parking or space issues and everyone will be a medical student so they can all relate to you. Also to study , the hectic city environment might not be for everyone, ultimately go where you feel comfy :))))))) congratz