Unethical classroom activity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Setting people up for potential public shaming, not ethical in my book at all.

Exactly. I'm thinking of voicing my opinion before we start and saying that I think the exercise is unethical. Any thoughts on other ways I could deal with this?

Members don't see this ad.

Another option is to keep your head down and get through it. They have the power. Choosing when to fight or when not to is part of the art of war. Only you can answer that question. These types of situations are not black or white. Although I would not conduct things in the way that school does and don't agree with their methodology, an argument could be made that someone who is treating others needs to be able to withstand a certain amount of criticism. Your patients will experience far worse than this and they won't be able to fight it either. Oh and you will often be powerless to help them against oppression, abuse, unfairness, etc despite your best efforts. A successful case is when you and the patient fail at accomplishing something, but you get through this failure and maintain the rapport and carry on.

Reactions: 1 user
Another option is to keep your head down and get through it. They have the power. Choosing when to fight or when not to is part of the art of war. Only you can answer that question. These types of situations are not black or white. Although I would not conduct things in the way that school does and don't agree with their methodology, an argument could be made that someone who is treating others needs to be able to withstand a certain amount of criticism. Your patients will experience far worse than this and they won't be able to fight it either. Oh and you will often be powerless to help them against oppression, abuse, unfairness, etc despite your best efforts. A successful case is when you and the patient fail at accomplishing something, but you get through this failure and maintain the rapport and carry on.

Thanks. I think you're right about keeping my head down and doing it. I resent having to do it though. So many people I've spoken to have said it sounds unethical too. I've decided that if they say 'no' to me I will reply there and then. I will say that any professional would do such a thing behind closed doors and that it says a lot more about them than it does about me.

I can't wait to finish this term. One of my classmates recently said she resents paying the college such a large amount of money only to be bullied every week. So it seems I'm not the only one.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my program it's called a "fishbowl." All faculty, all students of any year invited to sit in a big room with one advanced student, his/her adviser and the practicum site supervisor. The student then spends an hour defending a "case" from their practicum site. I went to one of these and after the student was left in shambles, crying uncontrollably by the end of it, I didn't go to another one.
Case presentations are normal in all programs. If you are treating someone, you damn well better be able to describe the case dynamics, why you are taking a particular approach, and why you are not taking other approaches. Students crying is not always an indication that there was a failure of training. Some students are inclined to interpret anything other than a constant stream of praise as a personal insult.
If you mean that there is a toxic or nonsense training environment (e.g., grilling someone relentlessly or demeaning them for not doing a non-empiraclly supported treatment), that is different.

I also disagree with taking anything like this to anyone within your program. They will see you as the problem (which you might be, I don't know) but if you go to even students with these concerns it will be put on you regardless. If it is them, in no way should you take your concerns to them, they will only escalate such behavior. If it's you then it will be good practice at getting over whatever you've got going on inside your own head. Either way, keep this shat to yourself.

Depends. The behavior described is nonsense enough that I'd take it to the chair and then higher if I were in that program.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
If it's you then it will be good practice at getting over whatever you've got going on inside your own head. Either way, keep this shat to yourself.

I disagree. I can't see in any way how this exercise is right and if I want to say something, I will. I would never do such a thing with my students in class because it wouldn't feel right, and I don't believe it's right in any walk of life to publicly humiliate people. Appraisals are generally done in private and there's a good reason for that.

I agree that case presentations, even when they become seemingly somewhat contentious or "harsh," are (IMO) necessary training activities. And they can be great learning experiences. But with the OP, it just sounds unhelpful, unhealthy, and unethical. If I were concerned about retribution for reporting it, I may wait until either I'd already received my degree or were near the end of my training, but I'd still err on the side of telling someone (e.g., training director, dean).

I agree that case presentations, even when they become seemingly somewhat contentious or "harsh," are (IMO) necessary training activities. And they can be great learning experiences. But with the OP, it just sounds unhelpful, unhealthy, and unethical. If I were concerned about retribution for reporting it, I may wait until either I'd already received my degree or were near the end of my training, but I'd still err on the side of telling someone (e.g., training director, dean).

Thanks. Yes, might be best to wait until the end. It's a shame that I have to be fearful of being congruent there though.

This is grossly unethical. However, you need to wait until the end, and possibly until you graduate before complaining about it. If you don't retribution is very likely. Most psychology/counseling programs make it a point to NOT be supportive of their students. Mine was sure as hell not.

Most psychology/counseling programs make it a point to NOT be supportive of their students. Mine was sure as hell not.

Your personal experience is not an empirical study of the subject.

This is grossly unethical. However, you need to wait until the end, and possibly until you graduate before complaining about it. If you don't retribution is very likely. Most psychology/counseling programs make it a point to NOT be supportive of their students. Mine was sure as hell not.
Source?

What do you mean by "making it a point?"

Why would "most" (however you are operationalizing that) programs not want to be supportive of their students? Isn't it in their best interests to do so, especially for funded programs, who give students substantial amounts of money in terms of tuition remission, stipends, and health insurance, as well as relying on them for the productivity of their tenured faculty?

I'd tentatively accept the argument that online and non-accredited program are not supportive of their students and only care that tuition bills get paid, but I'm skeptical that your argument is true for funded programs with good outcome stats (e.g. internship match rates, career placements, etc.).

Just to let you all know that we had the appraisals today. I started the day by sharing my opinion with the open group that I feel it is very unethical and that we're potentially setting others up for public humiliation. I said we live in a democracy and have the right to decide whether we do it or not. One of my classmates said she feels the same and that she wouldn't be answering the question. I also chose not to answer the question but just gave feedback.

Anyway, after all my worry I got a 'yes' from all classmates and the tutors! However, some of my classmates chose to say no to others and it felt awful. I felt hurt for those people on the receiving end. It has now caused a lot of tension between those people. One lady approached another who said 'no' to ask the reason, but she blanked her and wouldn't answer (I don't think that's good counsellor behaviour). This has all justified to me why I was right to doubt the whole thing and I'm glad that I voiced my opinion. I'll be adding it to my complaint list when I finish the course.