Unexpected DAT!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pumpkins90

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the DAT yesterday and was very dissapointed with the outcome. First the Biology, I heard from other people stating that just by knowing everything from Kaplan you should get a least close to a 20. My test only had maybe 17 questions coming from that book. The organic section had 3 to 4 step reactions of finding the product and determining which reactants to use. I only had 1 nomenclature question and that was about as easy as that section was. The PAT was a little harder than the Kaplan, mainly with the angle ranking. The resolution is so bad on those computers. I thought the reading passages were actually a lot easier than I studied for, but i don't understand how i scored as low. I finished the section with plenty of time and could find all of the answers, but my score was crap. The worst was math. I heard of people who took tests with mainly arithmetic and a couple of trig. questions. I had 5 arithmetic, 4 trig. and the rest WORD problems. My worst fear came true. I only had 2 minutes left with 10 problems to go, so i had to guess. There is no way you can do 30 word problems in the time allotted. Needless to say, that was my lowest score.
Sorry this is long, but i had to vent. I'm really dissapointed in myself because i studied all summer. Its hard because i have been out of school for 3 years and i work full time so i studied 5 hours a night. I just hope i can get an interview because i know i can prove my passion for denistry and i don't believe my DAT scores will prove that i can't handle the curriculum.

Members don't see this ad.

So what were your scores???

Pumpkins90
I am very sorry to hear about DAT experience. Just hang in there ok. Worst come to worst retake the test, maybe it will come out better the next time around . Just remember its not the end of the world. Since, you know within yourself that you can make a good dentist. That's what really count. Just hang in there and you might choosing the school that you want to attend couple of months from now. Just remember in any situation that your in some body has been in a worst situation than you, and they usually come out alright. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pumpkins90,
Hey, I hear ya. I took the DAT yesterday the 21st and I only received and 18/18. I was extremely disappointed in myself.
Going into the DAT I felt very comfotable. I had taken every Kaplan practice test 3-4 times and I knew the answers and explanations to every problem. I also was getting 18/21 on Topscore and I had reviewed the cd several times. The biology section, which is my strongest subject kicked my butt. I agree with you in that Kaplan did not cover half of the material in that section. Ochem was ok and reading was fine but I also stunk it up in gen chem and math. I got a freakin 16 in math?! I wouldn't be so upset but I studied like a madman for this test and all those practice tests gave me a false sense of confidence. I already talked to a buddy of mine who took Kaplan with me and he scored a 20/19. He said that the majority of the questions he saw were exactly like kaplans. So I guess it is the luck of the draw when it comes to the questions out of the big computer test bank. I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. I feel exactly the same, screwed! :mad:

Hey guys,

I'm sorry to hear about your experiences. Was the test hard? or did you feel like you knew everything that the test was asking?

It really does depend on luck, and dental schools know this as well. If your other application is strong you should be fine. it really sucks for those people who have low gpas.

If I were you, I would go back to Kaplan and demand you money back.

Kaplan didn't do **** it seems. It would be much better if you just bought the kaplan book at the store and the topscore cd.

$1,000 bucks down the toilet.

DesiDentist

You can probadly get your money back from Kaplan if you took the DAT prior to this last time if your scores did not improve. Ask them.

pumpkins90

Don't beat yourself up about the scores, if need be you can take it again, it is evident that you work hard and I am sure that things will work out.

Good luck

I had no idea that Kaplan gives money back. What do they compare it to.....your first cumulative test you took in the beginning?

I'm so sorry you're not happy with your score. My score definitely wasn't amazing and I was usually scoring higher on practice tests than I did on the real thing. I felt pretty crappy afterward.....
+pissed+ ......don't worry though. They weigh all kinds of things besides the DAT. I ended up getting into my top choice!

Oh, one more thing in response to cochino about Bio section. I thought I had studied Bio adequately...........uh, not exactly. I sucked it up (relatively) on that section. I just talked to my best friend today who is taking that DAT in a month and she's taken WAY more upper division Biologies than me (another Bio major, shocker) and SHE said there was so much crap she didn't know on her Kaplan practice tests.

When taking the DAT, it appears that a major portion of the outcome might be attributed (in some way) to luck.

As was already noted, I had two friends take the exam on the same day. One missed 2 questions on the Bio section, the other missed 8. It certainly depends on the degree of difficulty of the questions.

A word to all the future test-takers: When you are taking the exam and find questions (especially in Bio) that you feel are too difficult, don't sweat it! The ADA includes several sample questions which do not count towards your score, in every section. These sample questions are put in to determine if they are valid questions for future DAT exams. Perhaps the difficult question you are frustrated over will not even be included in your score! Of course, if you don't understand any of the questions it probably would have helped to study a little more ;) .

Keep your heads up, the DAT is just one of the components of a successful applicant! Heck, you can still do well on the DAT and get denied by schools. I got denied by Iowa, and it's only August!! :D

P.S. I also did worse than I had expected on Bio, and I assumed that to be one of my top sections. In hindsight, I could have gotten a 20 on Bio if I had gotten one or two more questions correct. Arrrgh.