Unfilled programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

also, does anyone who Sen. Kennedy's radiation oncologist will be at MGH? Dr. Loeffler?

More than likely . . .

Interestingly, it appears that Kennedy only got a sub-total resection at Duke. The planned operative time was 6 hours, he was only in for 3. They probably openend him up and quickly saw there was not a whole lot they could do.

My (uninformed) guess is that the nerurosurgeons at MGH thought he was inoperable but I suppose that Dr. Friedman at Duke told him that a GTR was within the realm of possiblity. Interestingly, this is a great PR coup for Duke even though they did not help him in the long run (STR does not equal "success"). Though, at this point, XRT + Temodar is not going to do a whole lot when there is still a large chunk of GBM left.

Steph, would love to hear your throughts on this one though I understand if you would prefer not to comment . . .
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
More than likely . . .

Interestingly, it appears that Kennedy only got a sub-total resection at Duke. The planned operative time was 6 hours, he was only in for 3. They probably openend him up and quickly saw there was not a whole lot they could do.

Don't think you can assume anything. Most places would over-schedule OR time just to be safe. I'm sure w/ Senator Kennedy's case, they would want to schedule the OR with as much time as possible, so just b/c they didn't use the whole time doesn't mean the surgery was a failure.

Not completely sure why they he selected Duke Neurosurgery, but I do know that they are in the forefront for Primary CNS tumor immunotherapy. And at this year's ASCO, Duke neuro-oncology team presented some data showing promising results in using dendritic cell immunomodulation of gliomas.
 
And at this year's ASCO, Duke neuro-oncology team presented some data showing promising results in using dendritic cell immunomodulation of gliomas.
The word "promising" is something one should avoid using, when talking about GBMs...
On the other hand one can always say:
"I promise you, you wont survive this disease"
 
The word "promising" is something one should avoid using, when talking about GBMs...
On the other hand one can always say:
"I promise you, you wont survive this disease"

HaHa 😀 That's a good one. But I sure wouldn't want you to be my oncologist 😛
 
The word "promising" is something one should avoid using, when talking about GBMs...
On the other hand one can always say:
"I promise you, you wont survive this disease"

Sad, but true. And if you look at most of the clinical trials out there, the new modality is always some new drug, not RT. Although many med oncs think Temodar has done a lot for it.