Ungrad Study Habits

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by bwonger06, May 9, 2007.

1. bwonger06

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I just finished my first year of undergrad wooo!!! I some how didnt open up any of my text books all year unless it was to look up some key terms or how to do problems on homework. I never did any practice problems and did not read any of the chapters and only studying i did was going over homework or going to TA based review sessions. i probably studied at most an hour a week (five hours all together for finals) (exclud. essays) With that being said, i was able to float by with a 3.74 (Eng, Calc, Psych 101 and Chem) first semester and a 3.89 second semester (Western Civ, Eng, Chem II, Calc II, and Social Psych).

i wondering if there are any people out there who studied very little and yet acheieved good GPA's (3.7+), or am i going to have to change study habits really soon?

(Next years classes: sociology, beatles music class, stats, bio (includ/lab) and ochem (includ lab)

Sorry not trying to showoff or anything, just wondering if there were any people who were able to slack off during undergrad and still be successful.

cheers

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. bigDee

bigDee Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    You'll def be studying for more than an hour a week with classes like gen bio. Lots of memorization.

4. badasshairday

badasshairday Vascular and Interventional Radiology
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Show off!

kidding. Did you take Calc AP and Chem AP in high school? This could be one you didn't have too much trouble.

5. blargh

blargh Membership Revoked
    Removed

Pre-Psychology
    i think lower div classes are much easier. wait a year or two.

6. bwonger06

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    actually i took social psych (PGS 350) this semester and it was a breeze. :sleep:

and i did take AP calc AB in high school but got a 2. my high school chem teacher didnt know how to teach so basically all material this year was new to me.

7. pjl2505

2+ Year Member

hey man, i pretty much mirrored you fresh year, but you'll have to start studying sophomore year, sorry to break it to you.

8. KeyzerSoze

KeyzerSoze Scrambled Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I dunno... bio has more facts, but it's somehow less dry. I got A's in Gen Chem's and Bio's, but I spent 5- 10x more time (literally) studying chem than i spent on bio. Then again, the Gen Chem courses at my school are known to be really tough, partly because they have separate courses for science majors+premeds and everyone else, while the Bio's aren't specifically for science majors.

9. bwonger06

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    yeah youre probably right. this 3.82 GPA is just not cutting it. :D must get above 3.9

10. blargh

blargh Membership Revoked
    Removed

Pre-Psychology
    haha i was also going to add that the subject makes a difference, but i didn't want to offend anyone. engineering upper div is wayyy harder than lower div.

11. DocBR

DocBR MS-3
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Being that your social psych class was PGS350, I will assume you are a fellow Sun Devil!

As far as your courses go, gen chem is a breeze and requires very little thinking (atleast not compared to Organic Chem, Biochem, Genetics, Physical Chem, etc).

Calc at ASU is kind of iffy depending on who you take, so it could get harder if you plan to go through calc3 or even differential eqs.

Sociology, Stats and the various music courses are a snooze at ASU, so you will not have much going on there.

Organic Chem and Biology together might be a shocker - again depending on who you take, some instructors will require input of 2-3 hours a week for an A, others will require 15+ a week for an A.

A word of advice: do not go into sophmore year assuming that you will slide through the science courses, or you might find yourself with a few big fat "W"s on your transcript when you fall behind and cannot catch up.

12. brianmartin

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Wait until o-chem :laugh:

13. bwonger06

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    yep im a fellow sun devil.

im a psych major so im not taking all of those upper division impossible sciences. i might take biochem because i think USC requires it. and i took Calc 1 and 2 for the kicks because i knew i would ace the class plus i might apply to Harvard and Hopkins for the heck of it, but no more calc for me ever.

I heard i have one of the easiest Bio teachers on campus, and i really loved it in high school so i should be able to breeze by.

ochem i have gould, i know i chose the harder teacher but everyone says he is the man and that i will actually learn something and get a good score on the MCAT.

basically i have one core important class surronded by four easy classes, so all my studying time will be devoted towards ochem lab and lecture class.

ahhh the benefits of being a humanities major.

14. Meatwad

Meatwad Reformed
    7+ Year Member

Post Doc
    I'm surprised a guy with a 3.9 sans studying doesn't even know that pyschology is not considered humanities, it's a social science.

15. Wackie

Wackie Inappropriate, always
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I wish I could be like that. I'm not smart enough so I have to bust my butt.
    I hope it's the fact that at my school the bio and chem departments are murder instead of me being stupid. :laugh:

16. Green Pirate

Green Pirate Neurotic Neuro Enthusiast
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    well granted, he's only a 3.9--not a 4.0.

17. Bacchus

Administrator Moderator Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    bwonger, congrats. But remember, there are others in the same boat as you so you don't need to gloat. You aren't impressing us and your naivete is going to kill you if it continues into your second, third, and fourth years. I know you said you aren't gloating but everything above asking if anyone could slack off was extraneous and not needed. Best of luck and don't let the ego overcome your goal.

18. yepiminthere

10+ Year Member

I definitely never studied during undergrad. In fact, I have never really studied ever in my life. I've just never really had too. It eventually caught up with me during in undergrad (biochem!!!???), and although I was able to graduate with an okay GPA, I could have done way better if I had applied myself even a little bit. But this may or may not apply to you. I would say, however, that poor study habits will eventually catch up with you. Like when it came time to study for the MCAT I could not focus for anything in the world (and I was also working full time) and my score definitely reflects that. And now that I am entering med school where everybody is probably going to be just as smart or smarter than me and the work load is going to be crazy, my lack of study skills is also a concern. SO...I guess what I am saying is develop good study habits now so you don't pay for it later.

Fin

19. Bartelby

Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I took a similar approach in my first and second years of college, but at the time I had no intention of becoming a doctor and did not think I needed good grades (that resulted in mostly 3.5 semesters). Since I started premedical coursework I have found that you can still pretty much coast most of the time, but you should dedicate two or three days before every major exam exclusively to studying for the exam (that has evened out closer to a 3.8). That little bit of extra effort goes a long way. Depending on how you learn, though, that could be a bad idea for classes like organic chemistry and biochemistry.

20. paranoid_eyes

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    OP: don't get cocky. that's what happened to me after first year, and my first quarter of second year was pretty low. you're smart, but you will HAVE to put in a lot more time next year. The reason you were able to pull this off first year is because you didn't have any memorization heavy classes (Bio, orgo).

21. DoctorPLASTIC

DoctorPLASTIC Membership Revoked
    Removed

She is right. I slipped in sophmore year and ended up getting my first B+. Dont let it happen it makes your transcripts look lopsided!:sleep:

22. vincikai

vincikai Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

yeah....3.7 is not that great, try study a little more 4.0 is what you want :thumbup:

23. LUCPM

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You will soon realize there are many more classes that have nothing to do with your intelligence.

24. arsenewenger

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Good luck.noob.It is fun to go to a crappy party school like yours. The long time effect, i warn you, will be devastating.

Enjoy it while you last cos i picture you taking the MCAT like five times.

25. digitalraid

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I was totally like the op my 3rd and 4th years of college. partying 3-4 times a week and having nearly straight A's is great.

26. bwonger06

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i may go to a party school but i totally dislike partying and drinking. (i seriously dont know what i do with my time)

and im not worried about long term effects. i went to a jesuit high school for four years of my life so i have four years of nothing but studying experience already, and i know how to organize my time.

i was just hoping college would be around this easy all four years. :laugh:
    but oh well time to reach back to those private school roots next semester and kick some butt.

27. DocBR

DocBR MS-3
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This is not necessarily true - I attended ASU, and at least in the sciences, your education is what you make of it. There are some professors who are a breeze and others who can be quite thorough. For instance, in organic chemistry some professors choose to test their students with the ACS standardized exam - of the ones that do the students tend to score in the upper 10% of examinees around the country. These professors are also well known in the pre-med circles, and avoided like the plague by most students. Nevertheless, if you want quality education it is available at ASU.

That being said, if I knew 4 years ago what I know now about ASU, I would have chosen to attend the University of Arizona or an OOS school where the student body is more like minded and focused on academics, because while it is doable to get a good education, it is not always easy. e.g. in my genetics course, my lab group was comprised of three other students, two of which where taking the course for the second and third time, respectively.

Arsenewenger, before you attack ASU, perhaps you should analyze the English department at your own school. I am sure they would be aghast to see the type of poor writing skills that an elitist pre-med like yourself has developed while in attendance.

28. Green Pirate

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I support your post, but don't become a grammar policeman... this is the intraweb...we don't care about language skills and it shows.

29. arsenewenger

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    If writing skills predict future success, I can assure you that you will never be successful.Read over your words, It is full of run-on sentences.A run-on consists of two or more grammatically complete sentences carelessly and ridiculously stuck together without appropriate punctuation.You have ,at least two, sentences linked with only a comma.If this is your idea of good writing skills...your school (ASU) has failed you.

30. Trevelyan

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    For every class I took in college (save for Organic Chemistry following an epiphany I had on the appropriate manner in which to approach that class during my second attempt at O. Chem II) I only ever studied the night prior to exams. I ended up with a 3.75 GPA in the end.

I know I will have to alter my habits when I begin med school later this year.

31. 63768

63768 Guest
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    lolololol

32. DocBR

DocBR MS-3
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    For the most part, I do not care about grammer (mine certainly has something to be desired). I Just think arsenewenger needs to get off his high horse - on this topic and many others.

My writing is full of run on sentences. It was before attending ASU, and it is now.
    You on the other hand, periodically throw in periods where they do not belong, misuse commas as badly as I do and say things like "enjoy it while you last." Are you implying that the OPs existence is soon to come to an end? If so, how would they be taking the MCAT "like five times"?

Now, if ASU is such a terrible school which produces students that use run on sentences (me); what can be said about your school?

33. tdjn

7+ Year Member

I think he was mocking you and the other ASU idiot. But that's just a guess. :p

34. DocBR

DocBR MS-3
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm sure he was. Just the same, it does not really matter. Most of the posts he makes on SDN are typical of what I've said.

35. lina123321

lina123321 ralph: im a unitard
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    isn't it undergrad, not ungrad..unless you somehow un-graduated...idk

36. arsenewenger

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Only ASU students write this way.

This is just a typo.

You make statements without backing it up.

If you are so insecure in trivial issues like this, I wonder how you're going to make it through medical school.

37. arsenewenger

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    ...of what?

38. DocBR

DocBR MS-3
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student

Why would I be insecure about your typos?
    If you are implying that I am insecure about ASU, I assure you I am not.

Are you an ESL student? You make an awful lot of "typos" for someone who is so critical of the abilities of others. For instance the one above where you refer to multiple statements as an 'it' rather than 'them'.

As far as supporting my statements, do a quick search of your past posts and you will see what I mean.

39. arsenewenger

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Absolutely.

You need to read more and listen to native speakers of the Language.

You write exactly the same way and your attempts to clean up your atrocious writings aren't helping you at all.

40. NexusMD

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Wow! You guys need to grow up. It's a forum for Gods sake. Leave the grammar check at home.:rolleyes:

41. arsenewenger

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Exactly my point. I think DOCBR is frustrated and she/he needs to hold someone responsible for his/her med school application failure.Instead of holding ASU responsible for the crappy education she/he got from them,she/he has decided to direct the anger at me (an innocent forum participant).

If I were in her shoes, I'd get a Lawyer and demand full tuition refund from ASU.

42. DocBR

DocBR MS-3
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    No, actually I do not write the same way as you. I have a proper command of tense and plural usage.

It is good to hear that you are ESL, perhaps you should keep working on that.

As far as my application failures, I was accepted 3 schools and will start medical school in August.

Finally, you are far from an innocent forum participant. As I said in the previous post, you are one of those holier-than-thou, elitist premeds who enjoy stepping on others. I simply took it upon myself to point out some of your flaws (We don't want you getting a big head now. Do we?) :oops: If you would like support for this as well, refer to your previous posts.

I am also a he.

43. arsenewenger

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Is this your own idea of "proper command of tense and plural usage" ?

Definitely, that is not British English. I sincerely implore you to consider retaking English 101 before August, you will save your professors from "[SIZE=-1]basterdised version of proper English[/SIZE]" induced Myocardial Infarction.

You need to reread you posts and make amends accordingly!

44. DocBR

DocBR MS-3
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student

What exactly is wrong with my tense and plural usage? I never claimed to be using British English (although I doubt there is a significant difference). I live in the US, and am attending a US medical school. That said, my US English should do just fine.

45. gsmithers68

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Ya... my freshman year I didn't study at all, hell I didn't even go to class sometimes. I even went to tests still drunk from the night before on a few occasions... damn those were the days haha. I took an Italian 101 test one time and in the middle of the test I got up and puked in the bathroom. Got a 93 on it and that test is probably more memorable to me than my MCAT. Maybe I'll try that in M1, P=MD right? Eh... you'll find that certain classes take more work. I would not advise you to continue with this trend of not studying. I would say watch out for orgo and bio at the same time. I would spend a little more time on those classes. You'll be fine though. Just keep up the hard work and just watch for red flags like a bad quiz grade or something like that as a sign to start studying harder. That's what I did... got a F on my first orgo quiz... then I knew it was time to get my ass in gear if I really wanted to do a professional degree program in the sciences. Just my 0.02.

46. Green Pirate

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    lol <3 this thread :biglove:

47. badasshairday

badasshairday Vascular and Interventional Radiology
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Do they not have quotas at your school for grading? ie like top 16% get A's of some form? That drives insane competition. It would be pretty hard to get by without studying.

48. gsmithers68

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I agree with my Pac-10 brethren here. You're an ass. Take your pompous judgemental posts and shove em.

Some people think like this:

You are a douche bag until proven a good guy.

Others think like this this:

You are a nice guy until proven a douche bag.

YOU arsenewenger are thinking like the former clause and are too pompous to figure out you are behaving like a douche bag yourself. I hope you mature a little before becoming a physician and also become tolerant of other people's perspectives and backgrounds.

Undergraduate schools minus the Ivies and a handful of schools outside of them are a wash when it comes to prestige, etc. You can't sit here and judge someone who goes to ASU like this. You are an ignorant fool and as a future colleague of mine, I hope someone puts you in your place.

49. DocBR

DocBR MS-3
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student

:thumbup:

50. paranoid_eyes

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    oh my god, im going to kill the next person taht tries to correct grammar on an online f**** forum. DAMNIT if you are so anal retentive taht you need to be reading perfect grammar then its not that hard to click the "back" button on the browser!!!!! NO ONE in medicine gives a **** about grammar and pronouns and fcking diction. If you do, then please do us all a fcking favor and go into law. +pissed+ +pissed+ +pissed+

51. arsenewenger

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    :thumbup::thumbup: