Uniform Allowance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kimoolos

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
Few questions regarding uniform allowance (Army HPSP). I completed my first military ADT a little while ago, have received a few active duty pay checks, but have not yet received my uniform allowance. First, does the allowance come by itself? Or is it tacked onto my active duty pay? Second, how long does it normally take to receive the allowance? I've been done with the ADT for about 3 weeks now.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It's definitely not enough to buy uniforms. I know the allowance is less than $1000 (500 or 700?).

I received the allowance separately before I ever received any other pay. I was also registered for COT, so I got it a few weeks before that.

It's definitely not enough to buy uniforms. I know the allowance is less than $1000 (500 or 700?).

I received the allowance separately before I ever received any other pay. I was also registered for COT, so I got it a few weeks before that.

I don't know about kimoolos, but I'm not going to OBC until the end of school, vs the beginning. Are you just on your own for ADT's? Just have a bunch of ACU's for ADT's and you'll get your uniform allowance (assumed) before OBC/COT?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know about kimoolos, but I'm not going to OBC until the end of school, vs the beginning. Are you just on your own for ADT's? Just have a bunch of ACU's for ADT's and you'll get your uniform allowance (assumed) before OBC/COT?

That I'm not sure of. I'd contact whoever's in charge of your program or check their website.

Yes. You are supposed to get your uniform allowance when you go to OBC, but if that is not until after school, then you are on your own for ADTs.

Yes. You are supposed to get your uniform allowance when you go to OBC, but if that is not until after school, then you are on your own for ADTs.

I have not been to OBC, but my ADT orders did say I was entitled the uniform allowance ($400). And the CPT I worked with at my ADT said I should get it...sometime. If I don't get it in the next pay period I'll just give student management office a call to find out.
Thanks for all the replies

Last year, I took school orders in April (as my first ADT), and I got my uniform allowance in June. The person I talked to said that you should get it shortly after you register for your first ADT. However, I registered in Feb or somewhere near there, had school orders in April, and got the allowance in June. Yes, it's $400.

Thanks for the reply. So it sounds like it just "shows up" sometime later. I suppose I can wait a month or so, and if it doesn't show up then I'll start asking :)

Anyone in AF here, I'm just wondering what uniforms I need to buy for COT. I got a 400$ allowance about 6 months ago, but as you can imagine that's long-gone. How much do I have to have set-aside before I leave for training or for a nearby base so I can cover the real uniform cost?

Anyone in AF here, I'm just wondering what uniforms I need to buy for COT. I got a 400$ allowance about 6 months ago, but as you can imagine that's long-gone. How much do I have to have set-aside before I leave for training or for a nearby base so I can cover the real uniform cost?

I waited until COT to buy all of my uniforms. Just make sure you get there early during the reporting window that they give you and the AAFES should be well stocked.

For my class, they didn't make us buy mess dress, so that drastically reduced the estimated costs. I think I ended up spending less than $1000. The Corcoran Sage boots were probably the biggest expense at over $100. I only bought 2 sets of ABUs and one of every other major uniform piece required (wool pants, polyester pants, dress blues coat, blues shirt). Obviously, with socks, undershirts and PT uniforms, you'll want to buy more. :) Otherwise, I found this quantity to work out fine for me.

I mean you'll be doing a little more laundry, but the machines are free. You're trapped in the dorm anyways, right?

Another quick tip for everyone out there. Active duty service members CANNOT deduct uniform costs while reservists can. If you are in the financial situation where this would help you, it might make sense to buy everything earlier while you can deduct it. Of course you can only deduct what is not covered by the clothing allowance.

Be careful, however. They can always change the uniform on you. Since I bought mine, the Army has or is currently changing every uniform. Awesome!

Ed

Not that I ever have anything substantive to contribute, here is money in your pocket.

Most of the services give you your uniform allowance when you attend Knife and Fork School, but you are authorized it upon your first 45 day AT. If after 2 months from your first AT, you have not been given your allowance, request it. You need to get it as soon as possible.

When you go on continuous active duty for internship or GMO or staff or whatever, you can request an additional $100. The Financial Managment Rules allow reservists called to extended (more than 90 days) active duty (which you will be) to receive this $100 as long as the previous allowance was paid more than 3 years prior.

So if you go to K&F school late, and they pay you then, you won't have the requisite 3 years.

Not that I ever have anything substantive to contribute, here is money in your pocket.

Most of the services give you your uniform allowance when you attend Knife and Fork School, but you are authorized it upon your first 45 day AT. If after 2 months from your first AT, you have not been given your allowance, request it. You need to get it as soon as possible.

When you go on continuous active duty for internship or GMO or staff or whatever, you can request an additional $100. The Financial Managment Rules allow reservists called to extended (more than 90 days) active duty (which you will be) to receive this $100 as long as the previous allowance was paid more than 3 years prior.

So if you go to K&F school late, and they pay you then, you won't have the requisite 3 years.

Awesome. I was not aware of the allowance for 45 day AT. Thanks.