Uniform Issue - Button Fell Off

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chillin691

Living the dream...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm usually not apologetic for starting stupid threads, but my apologies.

So, my Navy SDBs have nice gold buttons. If any of you have had the pleasure of having one of the buttons fall off s/p NEX dry cleaning, you know where I'm at. I have a hole instead of the button, which makes the uni look tacky.

Let me preempt some responses:
The button has some attachment on it, so it isn't as easy as being simply sewed (sutured) on.
Finding a tailor who understands these military buttons is harder than voluntarily sticking around the whole day during 4th year.
I'm getting married, so I will not be buying a new SDB jacket.

Any help?

Members don't see this ad.

You can buy those buttons....in a box of six. Most uniforms components are obscenely expensive (shoulderboards are $32 for a piece of cardboard with felt glued to it) I guess they figure we're officers and make big money. PM me your address, and I'll send you one of my five extras. Keep the good Karma and pass it on.

For those who havn't learned this the hard way... take the buttons off before sending it for dry cleaning.

stupid question....what does the fact that you're getting married have to do with not getting another jacket?

It's really cool how you guys help each out!

Members don't see this ad :)
stupid question....what does the fact that you're getting married have to do with not getting another jacket?

It's really cool how you guys help each out!
Along with every other uniform item, the SDB jackets are incredibly expensive. You could feed a small country for how much it costs. ;)

Of course, I could be wrong and the OP is marrying a seamstress and is planning on the spouse to step up to the plate. :D

I thought there was some military reasoning behind it.....good luck with the wedding plans and congratulations! (despite the fact that you're now broke)

Since you have the button, let my try and describe how it works. If yours is like mine, you have a button with a loop on the back, and through that loop is a small wire that looks like a tiny bobby pin. Now, the loop on the back of the button is probably in the bend of the pin. Put this through the hole on the jacket, then snap the bobby pin portion so that the loop on the button sits in the wide portion of the pin that is in the middle of it.
This procedure does not lend itself well to words, but I hope this helps.

Since you have the button, let my try and describe how it works. If yours is like mine, you have a button with a loop on the back, and through that loop is a small wire that looks like a tiny bobby pin. Now, the loop on the back of the button is probably in the bend of the pin. Put this through the hole on the jacket, then snap the bobby pin portion so that the loop on the button sits in the wide portion of the pin that is in the middle of it.
This procedure does not lend itself well to words, but I hope this helps.

Not all of the jackets are like this. I have one that has this system and it's great; however, one of my other jackets has the buttons sewn on. I'm thinking the OP's is one of the sewn on versions. He could possibly take it to a seamstress and try to get them to convert it to the type that you're talking about, but it would likely be easier to just sew it on for now until he moves somewhere near an NEX.