Uniformed Services University of Health Science

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neurocenni

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone have any insight on the Clinical Psych program at USUHS. They have a track for civilians. On the civilian application they make you rank your preferences for joining the military. I am curious as to if it possible to go there and never join the military.

Members don't see this ad.

you have to join the military. no idea what the service commitment is.

the "civilian" option is for non military personnel to join the military and attend the school as opposed to the being in the military and applying to the school route.

you have to join the military. no idea what the service commitment is.

the "civilian" option is for non military personnel to join the military and attend the school as opposed to the being in the military and applying to the school route.

Thank you for the insight!

Members don't see this ad :)
You might try sending a PM to MarkP or searching for his posts. I believe this is the program that he is in (although he is in the military track). He speaks highly of the program if I recall correctly.

Hi,

Does anyone have any insight on the Clinical Psych program at USUHS. They have a track for civilians. On the civilian application they make you rank your preferences for joining the military. I am curious as to if it possible to go there and never join the military.

USUHS is "free" and comes complete with active duty pay, allowances and a committment to the service that accepted you. I think MarkP is a 4th year there.

Hi,

No, civilians do not have to join the military.

There are three tracks:

Med Psych - Research Only - Civilians Only
Med/Clin Psych - Both Research and Clinical - Civilians Only
Military Clin Psych - Military Only

Now with that said, the Civilian side is EXTREMELY competitive drawing applicants from places like UNC, McGill, Cornell, Harvard... etc. The military program is less competitive but only open to Active Duty Military with the exception of the Navy which takes civilians and puts them in uniform (You incurr a 6 year commitment for your schooling post internship.)

That's the way it works. We have a great program, it's challenging and well funded for the most part. It's free for both civilian and military. Civilians get around a $25k Stipend and us military folks make pay commensurate with rank... ranging from about $50k for brand new members and well above that for prior service after all pay and allowances. Seriously, it's like winning the lottery.

Mark

PS - I am only a second year there... How I wish it was the 4th year.

LOL, it's not like you go there. :)

It's a very misunderstood school/program but I like it.

Mark
Well I got everything all figured out, and I got an interview there!

Thanks everyone for the help. I'm so happy I found this board.

Did anyone else apply here this year? I am really starting to get nervous because I haven't heard back. I interviewed on Feb. 23 for the Med/Clinical and they said we would hear something by the 2nd week of March. This is my top choice and I feel bad because I am holding an offer at another program.

Did anyone else apply here this year? I am really starting to get nervous because I haven't heard back. I interviewed on Feb. 23 for the Med/Clinical and they said we would hear something by the 2nd week of March. This is my top choice and I feel bad because I am holding an offer at another program.

I haven't heard anything there, so it's not like anyone has said anything. I think it's still up in the air as one professor has someone in her lab that applied and I didn't see her sulking or jumping up and down. Usually they are fairly quick about it, but I wouldn't hesitate to drop an email to see where things are at after spring break (it will be a ghost town there all next week.)

Mark

I haven't heard anything there, so it's not like anyone has said anything. I think it's still up in the air as one professor has someone in her lab that applied and I didn't see her sulking or jumping up and down. Usually they are fairly quick about it, but I wouldn't hesitate to drop an email to see where things are at after spring break (it will be a ghost town there all next week.)

Mark

Thanks,

Is it typical that people do research there for a year or two first and then try to get in the program? I know it is super competitive....

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks,

Is it typical that people do research there for a year or two first and then try to get in the program? I know it is super competitive....

It's happened more than once, but it's certainly not a requirement. That's one of the things about the program, you never know who is going to get in. It's super competitive, but very diverse at the same time. One of the things that makes it cool.

I would suspect that all 1st round invites are out, but I have no way of knowing and I didn't get an offer until April 10th. So that's my best guess. I have no factual information regarding who has or has not been accepted and I don't know if there is a waiting list. Sorry I can't give you anything really to go on.

Mark

It's happened more than once, but it's certainly not a requirement. That's one of the things about the program, you never know who is going to get in. It's super competitive, but very diverse at the same time. One of the things that makes it cool.

I would suspect that all 1st round invites are out, but I have no way of knowing and I didn't get an offer until April 10th. So that's my best guess. I have no factual information regarding who has or has not been accepted and I don't know if there is a waiting list. Sorry I can't give you anything really to go on.

Mark

Sorry I just noticed your response to this thread; Yes it looks like you are correct; Looks like I am waitlisted....we will see what happens now

Hello everyone. I'm currently an flight commander at Elmendorf AFB in Alaska and I'm really interested in the Clinical Psych program. Any guidance from people that just interviewed/got in or have been a student on what I should be preparing for as an active duty prospect? What are the odds, and are they in my favor?

Hi! I have a question about the service requirement. I'm really interested in the military psychology track at USU but I'm not too jazzed about the service requirement (no offense to anyone -- I greatly admire anyone in the military but I don't think I could cut it). I'd like more information about what exactly the service requirement entails, and I suspect that I don't even meet the eligibility criteria to join the armed services so how does that affect my application if I did decide to go the military psych track?

AND (i know, tons of questions, sorry guys!) if I were to go the health clin psych track instead, how much "overlap" is possible into the military psych track. Obviously it's not a back door into the military psych program, but since my research interests lie in military psych would it be possible to work with a prof in the military psych program instead of a health clin psych prof?

Thanks!!

You should probably search MarkP's posts, as was mentioned earlier. The following is from their website regarding committment:

There are no tuition costs at USUHS. Students are responsible for textbook costs (some services reimburse for textbook costs). Active-duty military incur a service obligation of seven years after internship training. Civilian applicants who join a specific service will be obligated to seven years active duty service plus six years listing on the individual ready reserve (IRR) roster. Civilian students in the Medical Psychology-Clinical Track do not incur any military service obligations. Internships and post-doctoral fellowships are not credited toward satisfying the obligation.

So, here's the thing, if a person goes this route via the military then they should be committed to the military, especially since a person can retire in 20.

Hello everyone. I'm currently an flight commander at Elmendorf AFB in Alaska and I'm really interested in the Clinical Psych program. Any guidance from people that just interviewed/got in or have been a student on what I should be preparing for as an active duty prospect? What are the odds, and are they in my favor?

Odds are in your favor, sort of, The USAF takes only one student typically for USUHS... there may be 2 slots but my experience is that only one slot is filled by the USAF.

So how does that put the odds in your favor you're wondering no doubt. Well the USAF program is ONLY open to active duty service members and it's not heavily advertised. I don't know the USAF process, but I can point you to someone to talk to if you need, PM me if you need an email address.

Mark

Hi! I have a question about the service requirement. I'm really interested in the military psychology track at USU but I'm not too jazzed about the service requirement (no offense to anyone -- I greatly admire anyone in the military but I don't think I could cut it).

No offense taken, you're probably not going to be a good fit for the military program, no offense. The military psychology track is only for active duty military service members, all total, including school, the commitment is more than 11 years. If you can't stand being in uniform for those 11 years, USUHS's military psych track is not for you. It's not for most people, that's why it doesn't get the high numbers of applications that some programs get, most people self-select out. One would expect it to be less competitive as a result, but it's not, it's every bit as competitive as any other program I interviewed at.

I'd like more information about what exactly the service requirement entails, and I suspect that I don't even meet the eligibility criteria to join the armed services so how does that affect my application if I did decide to go the military psych track?
If you cannot make the eligibility criteria, then no, you won't be allowed to participate in the military psych track. You could do the dual track, which is roughly equivalent but more competitive academically. Many of the classes are the same.

AND (i know, tons of questions, sorry guys!) if I were to go the health clin psych track instead, how much "overlap" is possible into the military psych track.
There is a lot of overlap.

Obviously it's not a back door into the military psych program, but since my research interests lie in military psych would it be possible to work with a prof in the military psych program instead of a health clin psych prof?

Thanks!!
The professors are all the same... Military and civilians work with the same professors. There are no "military only" advisers.

Mark

Thanks Mark! That's exactly what I needed to know.

Thanks Mark! That's exactly what I needed to know.

Glad I could help, they do take 2-3 civilian students per year, and it might be a good fit from the dual track program side. The dual track students get a $29k stipend, no tuition costs, and have no commitment following graduation. If that sounds more like what you are looking for, I would encourage you to apply for those slots.

Mark

I'm interested in joining the military and become a clinical psychologist. I've been ping-ponging back and forth about whether I should apply for programs or join the military first.

If I joined the military first (mainly looking at Navy/AF), would I have to serve all 4-6 years before I could apply and enter this program? Or would I be able to join, go through basic and training, then apply for this program?

If I apply for the clinical program first, would I go to basic before I start the program?

The main purpose of me joining the military is to get my education through them (ahem, aside from my desire to serve my country), so USU is basically my dream.

Ok 3 more questions (sorry, knocking them all out so I don't have to keep posting):

1. I got a B.A. in psych, will that have an affect on their considering me for the program?

2. Who did your letters of recommendation come from? It says at least 1 needs to come from a teacher/research advisor. I can only get 1 from that area so I'm just curious who else would be acceptable as a recommender?

3. How important is it to already be published as an undergrad? Because although I was an RA for 2 years, I never conducted and published my own research.

Thank you so much in advance!!

Hey guys-
Just wanted to say that Im into vastly different areas of psychology, and from many of those areas I've only heard outstandingly positive things about that program. Not my deal, but I have a ton of respect for it.

I'm interested in joining the military and become a clinical psychologist. I've been ping-ponging back and forth about whether I should apply for programs or join the military first.

It depends on the branch of service... the USAF and ARMY (currently) only accept students for USUHS who are already on active duty. If you aren't on active duty, then you won't get into USUHS through those two service branches.

If I joined the military first (mainly looking at Navy/AF), would I have to serve all 4-6 years before I could apply and enter this program? Or would I be able to join, go through basic and training, then apply for this program?

No, but it's unlikely that you'll get a slot immediately or even within the first 2 years. Remember, for clinical psychology, typically the USAF sends 1 student each year and the USN sends 2 students (both of which could be military or civilians entering service.) Now I don't want to sound elitist, but we get pretty great students in the program and when you consider that there are only a few slots for each service that are open to worldwide competition, it's not exactly easy to get a slot. I felt like I won the damn lottery when I got in!

If I apply for the clinical program first, would I go to basic before I start the program?

You can currently only go Navy if you want to go this route. You (normally) go to ODS (Officer Development School) for 5 weeks to become acclimated to military life. It's not bad... and it's fairly short. The upside is you only join the Navy if you have been offered a slot at USUHS.

The main purpose of me joining the military is to get my education through them (ahem, aside from my desire to serve my country), so USU is basically my dream.

There is nothing wrong with wanting an education that is paid for and has the benefit of offering a salary along with it. It's a damn good salary in my case. The program is amazing, but believe me, the money is not enough to keep you going... it's a tough program and will challenge most people. You'll need a real desire to be a military psychologist to stick this out... it's an 11 year commitment with the schooling and service.

Ok 3 more questions (sorry, knocking them all out so I don't have to keep posting):

1. I got a B.A. in psych, will that have an affect on their considering me for the program?

I have a B.A. in psych, I am in the program... there are people who don't have psychology majors who are in the program (either minored in psych or took enough classwork to show competency.)

2. Who did your letters of recommendation come from? It says at least 1 needs to come from a teacher/research advisor. I can only get 1 from that area so I'm just curious who else would be acceptable as a recommender?

Mine came from all Ph.D.'s from my undergraduate. I would want to find AT LEAST two Ph.D.'s in psychology to write letters. They don't have to be clinicians, but you want Ph.D.'s for all three letters if possible, unless you have a military leader (preferably O-6 and above) who can speak to your suitability as a future officer.

3. How important is it to already be published as an undergrad? Because although I was an RA for 2 years, I never conducted and published my own research.

You should have research experience, this is one thing they will hold against you. There are people who have been accepted without research experience, but you would need some other outstanding credentials. This is just my opinion though, I do not speak for the university, the military, or any governmental agency.

I wish you the best of luck...

Mark

Hello all!

It seems that MarkP has alot of the first hand experience with the USUHS Clinical Psych program. It also seems like he may have left the Forum as well though...

Is there anyone currently in the program that can offer further insight into the program? I just completed my application and am hoping for an interview in the near future!

P.S. So glad to see folks that have already recieved an acceptance helping others out. Very Encouraging!

It seems that this thread has gone cold. Are there any folks going through the process currently? I'm excited to say that I got offered an interview for later this the month! I was suprised that it only took about a week from the interview deadline.

Best of luck to other applicants!

I got offered an interview for later this the month

Congrats!!

I'm finishing up the application process for the 2012-2013 year (due April 1st) and would love to hear how the interviews are conducted and your general interview experience. Please keep us updated, interviews will be conducted sometime in May for my round of applications.

Question answered

Last edited:
Congrats!!

I'm finishing up the application process for the 2012-2013 year (due April 1st) and would love to hear how the interviews are conducted and your general interview experience. Please keep us updated, interviews will be conducted sometime in May for my round of applications.

In my experience the interviews were pretty standard. It was a panel of 5 or 6 faculty members in a round table type setting. They were very friendly and asked questions similar to what one might expect..."Why Clin Psych? What research experience do you have? Why USUHS?" etc. They also asked what research questions you might like to tackle if accepted. It was a pretty low threat environment and a good opportunity to meet the faculty. The Program Director even took a few minutes to sit down with the interviewees and provide more insight into "What the USUHS program is really all about" which was great. There were also a few current students in the waiting area that gave us a walk-around and answered questions. All really welcoming people. Just try to calm your nerves (as much as anyone can in that situation) and be yourself! Hope that helps. Wish you all the best with your application!

Thanks for the heads up on the interview process, it definitely puts my mind at ease knowing what I'm walking into. I'm not currently military so it should be interesting to see if that makes a big difference in their interest level (COL Bowels said it was more paperwork, etc. on their end to accept civilians). I just got my interview invitation today for the 2012 academic year on 5/9, so I'm really excited. Have you heard anything yet about the acceptances for 2011?

Thanks for the heads up on the interview process, it definitely puts my mind at ease knowing what I'm walking into. I'm not currently military so it should be interesting to see if that makes a big difference in their interest level (COL Bowels said it was more paperwork, etc. on their end to accept civilians). I just got my interview invitation today for the 2012 academic year on 5/9, so I'm really excited. Have you heard anything yet about the acceptances for 2011?

To the best of my knowledge the Navy is the only program taking civilians and turning them into military psychologists currently. If the Army has started as well I wasn't aware. Pretty certain the AF isn't either. Were you wanting to enter military service or just do the civilian track?

At any rate, I wish you the best on your interview! I am really excited to say that I was accepted for the AF program. I'm still ironing out some issues concerning my arrival in the fall but hopefully it won't be a problem.

To the best of my knowledge the Navy is the only program taking civilians and turning them into military psychologists currently. If the Army has started as well I wasn't aware. Pretty certain the AF isn't either. Were you wanting to enter military service or just do the civilian track?

At any rate, I wish you the best on your interview! I am really excited to say that I was accepted for the AF program. I'm still ironing out some issues concerning my arrival in the fall but hopefully it won't be a problem.

The Army occasionally accepts civilians for the clinical track, but I would need to join if accepted. Congratulations on your acceptance, thats quite an accomplishment! Thank you again for the interview general overview, I'll be in the hot seat in a week.

Hi all~

I see no one has posted for awhile on this thread, but I figured I'd give it a shot :) I'm currently putting my package together to submit this January...was wondering if there's anyone else out there??

So what's the hitch?

It seems almost too good to be true. Is the program APA accredited and if not does this matter?

So what's the hitch?

It seems almost too good to be true. Is the program APA accredited and if not does this matter?

Is USUHS accredited? Yes. The only hitch is like everywhere else they take 6 people a year, oh and you have a good chance of geting an all expenses paid trip to Kabul or wherever when you get licensed.

Is USUHS accredited? Yes. The only hitch is like everywhere else they take 6 people a year, oh and you have a good chance of geting an all expenses paid trip to Kabul or wherever when you get licensed.

Ahh...Intimacy vs. Isolation...very Ericsonian.

Deployment is just a way of life in the military.

And yes, they only take about 10-12 people a year, most of the people who applied to the military slots were either prior military or currently serving. However the Navy has a history of taking applicants without prior military service.

Here is how it breaks down.

2-4 Civilian students for the Civilian Med Psych or Civilian Clin/Med Psych tracks.
No service commitments, No strings attached, No trips to Afghanistan.
$27,500 per year stipend. No tuition costs or fees.
Competitive... Ya, you might say that.

2 Navy Slots for the Military Clinical track
These students could be either civilian or on active duty with the military.
Consistently pretty competitive due to the fact it's open to everyone to apply.
Pay and Benefits... plus strings attached (including a likely vacation in Afghanistan.)

2-3 Army Slots for the Military Clinical track
These students had to be on active duty as officers with the Army.*
Competition is variable, depends on who submits a package, can be very competitive.
Pay and Benefits... plus strings attached (including a likely vacation in Afghanistan.)

2 Air Force Slots for the Military Clinical track
These students had to be on active duty in the USAF.*
Competition is variable, depends on who submits a package, can be very competitive.

* - This may be changing to allow civilians, but I don't have the latest information.

Deployment is just a way of life in the military.

And yes, they only take about 10-12 people a year, most of the people who applied to the military slots were either prior military or currently serving. However the Navy has a history of taking applicants without prior military service.

Here is how it breaks down.

2-4 Civilian students for the Civilian Med Psych or Civilian Clin/Med Psych tracks.
No service commitments, No strings attached, No trips to Afghanistan.
$27,500 per year stipend. No tuition costs or fees.
Competitive... Ya, you might say that.

2 Navy Slots for the Military Clinical track
These students could be either civilian or on active duty with the military.
Consistently pretty competitive due to the fact it's open to everyone to apply.

2-3 Army Slots for the Military Clinical track
These students had to be on active duty as officers with the Army.*

2 Air Force Slots for the Military Clinical track
These students had to be on active duty in the USAF.*

* - This may be changing to allow civilians, but I don't have the latest information.

Here is how it breaks down. No but seriously how does it break down? What is the faculty-class ratio? How is this different than a traditional program?

Here is how it breaks down. No but seriously how does it break down? What is the faculty-class ratio? How is this different than a traditional program?

It's really not different than a traditional program.

Classes were typically 6-12 people, more often than not, they closer to 6 than to 12. Student to faculty ratio, typically is between 4:1-6:1 depending on who you want to count as "faculty", core faculty only, core plus adjunct faculty, core plus medical school and adjunct faculty? There is no shortage of faculty.

Exceptions included physiology, medical psychology, and pharmacology which were taken with the medical students and those classes ranged from 150-180 persons.

For the most part, you work as an RA and a TA each year. TA'ing 2 classes and working as an RA for your lab. It is run on a quarter hour system as opposed to a semester hour, but that's semantics.

If you have a more specific question about how it's run, ask... but seriously, it's very much like any other clinical psych program with the exception of undergraduate student support. Since there is no undergraduate program, all T/A's support graduate level courses.

Mark

Has anyone who applied, as a civilian, to the Clinical Psych program for Fall 2012 matriculation heard anything about interviews?

I would like to know this too. Someone mentioned getting a personal email last week on the interview thread.

Hi there!

Has anyone heard about interviews for the Navy-military track clinical PhD yet? Thanks for any info!!!

Yes, I received an e-mail regarding the interview on Sunday. Since the interviews are coming up soon I would think that by now everyone has been notified; however, don't take my word for it!

Best!

Yes, I received an e-mail regarding the interview on Sunday. Since the interviews are coming up soon I would think that by now everyone has been notified; however, don't take my word for it!

Best!

It's a Ph.D. program, not Psy.D.

LOL, Trust me, I know!

Have all invites definitely gone out for the PhD in Medical and Clinical Psych for civilians? Also, I noticed that there were at least 2 different dates on the boards for interviews there-- are there separate interviews for civilians versus enlisted?

Thanks!

Have all invites definitely gone out for the PhD in Medical and Clinical Psych for civilians? Also, I noticed that there were at least 2 different dates on the boards for interviews there-- are there separate interviews for civilians versus enlisted?

Thanks!

I squelched my first reply, but you should know, there is a difference between enlisted positions in the military and commissioned ranks.

I might add that both enlisted and officer ranks are both likely to be offended by the fact that people don't understand the difference.

Thanks!

I squelched my first reply, but you should know, there is a difference between enlisted positions in the military and commissioned ranks (and yes, it matters to both groups).

I apologize-- I was not trying to offend anyone. If you wouldn't mind explaining the difference to me, I can be sure not to repeat my mistake.