uninsured

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turtle1014

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
while talking about the problems with healthcare today and the number of people with no or inadequate health insurance, do you think it would be a good or a bad thing to mention during an interview that you yourself are uninsured. Maybe good because it means you can really relate because you've had a lot of problems yourself... I guess its just one of those random things I wonder about... I've already had interviews at the schools I applied to so there's nothing I can do about it now! :)

Members don't see this ad.

while talking about the problems with healthcare today and the number of people with no or inadequate health insurance, do you think it would be a good or a bad thing to mention during an interview that you yourself are uninsured. Maybe good because it means you can really relate because you've had a lot of problems yourself... I guess its just one of those random things I wonder about... I've already had interviews at the schools I applied to so there's nothing I can do about it now! :)

If you can't afford health insurance, how are you going to pay for medical school?

Whats your income? Why don't you have insurance? If its because you genuinely ABSOLUTELY cannot afford insurance then yes, I think it would be a good thing to discuss.

If you could afford it but choose not to because you would rather spend more money on something else then I would DEFINITELY not say anything. I have done extensive work with uninsured patients and there are people who truly need help and are victims of our current healthcare system. A recent college grad who would rather buy more beer at the bar is NOT, and I would be both disgusted and offended that he thought he could relate to people who genuintely cannot afford healthcare. I think if I were an interviewer I would both hold it against you on a personal level and would take it to mean you actually have NO clue about the current problems in healthcare if you think your issues are on par with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
well, I am from a single parent home and my mom, who is self-employed, doesn't have health insurance either. Bottom line, we can't afford it and we are blessed with fairly good health. I'm a senior in college now... only reason I was able to go was because I got a full academic scholarship to a state school

well, I am from a single parent home and my mom, who is self-employed, doesn't have health insurance either. Bottom line, we can't afford it and we are blessed with fairly good health. I'm a senior in college now... only reason I was able to go was because I got a full academic scholarship to a state school

I would still avoid it - its not really representative of the majority of uninsured people.

Plus, how the hell did they let you in college without health insurance. I've never seen a school that doesn't require you to have either your own or the colleges health insurance while attending. Even med schools make us have health insurance.

I don't think it looks good, since it is a gamble at any age. When you enter Med School, they require you to have health insurance. Not having it now, whatever your reasons may be, can show a lack of planning, maturity, forsight depending on your situation. I could see talking about not having insurance in the past and how it affected you, and how you strived to get it. Or, you could talk about how you once had it, but then lost it due to rough circumstances, so can understand how important it is. Personally, my premiums are depleting my savings since quiting my job to go back to school, but I won't ever let myself go without it.

yeah, I had it and then lost it... complicated story really.

but basically, I'm getting the idea that it is a very good thing I neglected to mention it in the interview! thanks

Well, that's not a bad story. And likely not an uncommon one. I think that could sell well, especially if you stress growing up without it. Could you get health insurance if you took an extra student loan? If so, focus on the growing up part.

I would talk about it if you faced problems related to not having insurance. Of course, that throws you into dangerous territory because you might have to reveal medical history information. Anyway, I guess there's no real reason to discuss your specific situation to show you that you understand how hard it is for people to afford insurance. We all know that lots of families have to pay $500 to $1000/month for insurance, and I think we can all get that they might just not be able to pay that amount. Insurance premiums are increasing by a huge amount each year (you could look that statistic up), and if you don't have group coverage, you have to medically qualify for insurance, meaning that you might not be able to get it if you have a medical condition.

Don't let someone tell you that your lack of health insurance is atypical - in fact vastly more than half of uninsured people are employed full-time but don't have employer-based coverage, and don't make enough to buy insurance on the private market (which costs AT LEAST $5,000 a year for a family). Many of Walmart's employees provide a perfect example of this.
I'm sure your own situation will make you more sensitive to your future patients' situations.