Shepards Hope volunteering, healthcare for uninsured?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

On_The_Way_Up

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've volunteered over 100 hours at one hospital in the emergency department. Now I want to get more clinical experience somewhere else in a new setting. Shepard's Hope is a place where healthcare professionals volunteer their time for the uninsured that can't pay for it. How do medical schools feel about places like these? Anything bad?

Members don't see this ad.

I've volunteered over 100 hours at one hospital in the emergency department. Now I want to get more clinical experience somewhere else in a new setting. Shepard's Hope is a place where healthcare professionals volunteer their time for the uninsured that can't pay for it. How do medical schools feel about places like these? Anything bad?
I volunteer at a clinic exactly like this. Any time I have brought it up in an interview, the response has been very positive. It shows that you care for people, regardless of their capacity to pay. I would bet that could never be perceived as a bad thing.

Yes, clinical volunteering for underserved populations is always a plus.