Union for radiation oncologists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
id say the real fallacy is believing that things can change. Momentum and inertia are powerful things. Im actually on your side but many people are just apathetic and unwilling to stick neck out of shell. We are the turtle catfishes of oncology, at the very least surrounded by them in our field.

It's not like people will have to immediately let their program director or employer know that they will be joining a union. I would imagine such disclosure will have to be made only after a sufficient number of residents/employees sign up, then the union can proceed with collective bargaining of their behalf. Plus, any behavior that could be seen as retaliatory could open up the hospital to a lot of liability

Members don't see this ad.

id say the real fallacy is believing that things can change. Momentum and inertia are powerful things. Im actually on your side but many people are just apathetic and unwilling to stick neck out of shell. We are the turtle catfishes of oncology, at the very least surrounded by them in our field.

Dude you just said ‘it’s too late nothing can change’. You’re a silly ****

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Just means CMS read your posts and decided to act on them. Perhaps you have much more power than you think scarb, don't use it for evil.

In all seriousness, this was (in part) why the private forum was created.
Seems like a stretch. Theoretically, you could blame freestanding centers that have been arguing for site neutral bundled payments for why we have APM coming, instead of acknowledging that they've been the ones taking the cuts for years.

CMS had a chance to observe things between rural/critical access sites (which never changed from the original, general supervision paradigm) and other hospital based sites for 10-15 years now and decided they didn't see a difference. It makes plenty of sense to me.

Just means CMS read your posts and decided to act on them. Perhaps you have much more power than you think scarb, don't use it for evil.

In all seriousness, this was (in part) why the private forum was created.
I am not a smart man as Forrest says. But I don’t think CMS has to read my posts to figure out what CMS has been saying incessantly since time immemorial.

Going back to union, yes we need any organization/group that reflects interest of its members. As radoncs are increasingly employed or in some sort of financial relationship with large hospital systems and vast majority disconnected from technical component, our interests are becoming more common within the specialty,

It's not like people will have to immediately let their program director or employer know that they will be joining a union. I would imagine such disclosure will have to be made only after a sufficient number of residents/employees sign up, then the union can proceed with collective bargaining of their behalf. Plus, any behavior that could be seen as retaliatory could open up the hospital to a lot of liability
Would not suggest calling it a “union.” That term carries so much baggage and a lot of people have moral issues with drs unionizing. We need a proffesional organization that reflects interests of its members.

Reactions: 1 user
Would not suggest calling it a “union.” That term carries so much baggage and a lot of people have moral issues with drs unionizing. We need a proffesional organization that reflects interests of its members.

The name doesn't have to contain the word "union", however, for this entity to have teeth, it needs the legal protections accorded to employees by national labor laws, which a professional organization just won't have
"Bargaining in good faith with employees' union representative (Section 8(d) & 8(a)(5)) : Employers have a legal duty to bargain in good faith with their employees' representative and to sign any collective bargaining agreement that has been reached." Bargaining in good faith with employees' union representative (Section 8(d) & 8(a)(5)) | NLRB | Public Website

As for the morality of doctors unionizing, there is nothing moral about continuing the vicious cycle of exploitation that is going on now, wasting the brainpower of physicians, costing taxpayers and patients money with over-utilization and diluting the educational experience of residents. However, I concede the point that optics of boarded physicians unionizing in this country are not favorable. That's why I'm proposing that residents unionize at this juncture.

I will in short order share some details with people on this forum addressing some of the concerns raised in this thread, including: a) how to make this unionization effort essentially anonymous until a critical mass of residents have agreed to join ,and a collective bargaining agreement has been devised and agreed upon by potential members . b) How to engage in collective bargaining given that there are small number of residents in any given hospital