Unique Applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IzzyMarieDMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since good DAT scores and GPAs have become the norm, and since it seems like everyone has a zillion hours of shadowing/volunteering, what have you guys done to make your application unique?

Members don't see this ad.

1) 2 foreign languages.

2) Study abroad.

3) 2 years in a global pharmacutical company. I think this one helped me a lot for some of the research inclined dental schools, but I also think a few of the schools might like to see that you've tested the waters outside dentistry.

Research. I was told by a couple of schools I interviewed at that research was the main reason they were going to rec. me. They said that many students (esp right out of undergrad) don't take a huge interest in all the research opportunities available to them because many have limited experiences with it. They felt the research aspect was something that I could contribute to their program if accepted. What I thought was cool specifically about my VCU interview...which DEFINITELY SOLD ME...and caused me to pull my other apps... is that they phrased it as an interest in me and what I could bring to their program rather than just what they could offer me. The mutual benefit thing REALLY interested me over the feeling like they were doing me a huge favor and I would owe them forever!

Members don't see this ad :)
Job experience can also help. Having a job that involves a lot of manual dexterity can indirectly show you have one the of the key components of being a competent dentist. Combined that with a science degree and decent grades will further your application.

Travelling, sleeping on benches, sleeping suspended 400 ft in the air on a portaledge, and in hostels in countries far away from home. Doing the things you love, and finding something inherently inspiring in a profession along the way... you know, life experience. That's the one incalculable factor that makes an interview stand out.

What he or she said :thumbup:

1) Demonstrated excellence in something other than academics: Performance pianist

2) Leadership: Gave seminars to colleagues to teach new teaching methods

3) Community service: Volunteered to teach weekly high school health classes in low-income areas

4) Well-roundedness: Training to run the marathon

Since good DAT scores and GPAs have become the norm, and since it seems like everyone has a zillion hours of shadowing/volunteering, what have you guys done to make your application unique?

every school has different criteria besides GPA and DATs. For example a research school would like to see research. While a school that emphasizes public health would like to see you do some volunteer work!!

Raising three kids while my wife works and I go to school full time.

College athlete, VP of honor society, and University Ambassadors.

Travelling, sleeping on benches, sleeping suspended 400 ft in the air on a portaledge, and in hostels in countries far away from home. Doing the things you love, and finding something inherently inspiring in a profession along the way... you know, life experience. That's the one incalculable factor that makes an interview stand out.

couldn't have said it better any other way...

it's up to you to find ways to let your personality shine through your application. that's what makes you unique. travel abroad definitely helped me.

Study abroad, undergraduate teaching, community service, undergraduate research in Pitt dental school.