UNIQUE job opportunities (NYC) for 2008 - ideas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shevie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am waitlisted at a couple schools, and Im trying to consider the "worst case scenario" (not getting in and having to reapply), and plan accordingly.

Ive spent the past year and a half as an NIH postbac research fellow, so I would prefer to do something that doesnt involve lab research - as challenging as interesting as it was, I dont really want to spend more time in a lab.

Then, I know teaching is always an option, but actually, I DID teach high school part time during my senior year in college (I had 2 very easy semesters), and I DEFINITELY dont want to do that again.

Then there are like masters programs and stuff, but quite frankly, my GPA is fine, and I have no interest in getting a basic science degree, learning a bunch of molecular biology that I have no interest in. Id rather just wait another year till med school to sit in a classroom again. Plus, Id kindof like to MAKE money next year, not THROW money towards some degree that im not interested in at all.

NY is a big place, Im sure there are tons of opportunities...Id love to do something unique and different, but all I have to offer is my stupid Biology degree....doesn't really get you very far in the worlds of business, law, finance, etc....

Any ideas are welcome!!!

TIA

Members don't see this ad.

anyone?? im sure im not the only one taking a year off...

Memorial Sloan-Kettering has 3 entry-level positions suitable for a year off:
Research Assistant - Assisting with clinical studies (interviewing pts, helping with forms, etc.)
Session Assistant-Receptionist-ish (checking outpatients in for appointments, scheduling)
Physician Office Assistant- Medical Secretary-ish (scheduling, phones, booking surgeries, correspondence)

I worked there in my year off. It's a pretty cool place with a lot of young people who like to go out. Pay was decent, ~36.5 to start a couple of years ago. Excellent benefits. Check it out, they are almost always hiring.

thanks cpants...ill check it out
anyone else? seriously, Im sure other people took a year off. Didnt anyone do anything interesting (ie something other than doing westerns all day long, or doing "teach for america)? thanks!