unique situation, advice please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

B Baby82

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello everyone-
I have somewhat of a unique situation and I was wondering if there was anyone who had a similar experience. I know that extra-curriculars, leadership roles, etc are all important aspects of getting into a medical program, but is there a chance that an activity could backfire? My situation is this-The FBI has a program called the Honors Internship where they pick a group of college students each year to go work at FBI headquarters in D.C. between their junior and senior years. It's really competitive, but looks awesome if you can get it. I think I have a really good opportunity to get the internship based on my experience(I've held summer jobs as a full-time employee and I have family in the bureau so I've been exposed to it my whole life) and I'd love to do it, not only b/c it's something outside medicine that interests me, but also b/c if medicine didn't work out, I could see myself in this field. My question is, is there a chance that adcoms might look at this experience negatively, i.e., could they see this as some kind of indication that I'm not wholly committed to being a physician? I talked to my advisor and he said he'd never met anybody in this situation, but he didn't think it would hurt me as long as I could explain how this experience related to the goal of being a doctor. I'm studying biochem and spanish, so with the chem background there's a chance I could get placed in a lab type setting, which would make relating everything together pretty easy, but there aren't any guarantees. I was just curious if anyone has been in a similar situation and could shed some light as to what adcoms might think about this.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I dont represent the adcom, but I would say that 95% of adcom will be impressed by the FBI internship as an extracurriculars. And for them to find out more about you, they will offer you interviews to find out more about you! :) They want excellent people from all walks of life with different background, and not just a whole class of bio premeds with your typical volunteering/bench lab type activities. In fact, there is someone in my class who was in a similar FBI summer program when he was in undergrad. Hope this helps.

ABSOLUTELY NOT. It will not hurt you anyway! Rock on! I've always wanted to do that program, but my dad is very much against me doing anything with the government (which is strange, him being an ex-CIA and psyOps operator.. no, wait that explains a lot actually).

It shows you've done something UNIQUE. Perhaps you want to do pathology or work with law enforcement as an MD?

It wouldn't hurt though to get cracking if you haven't already gotten some hospital time underneath your belt.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I would def say do it......its def interesting and i think you can always tweak any kind of job experience and relate it somehow to medicine or skills that you will need to be a physician.......how many people are going to go into an interview and say I worked for the FBI one summer?? let alone a lab in the FBI (even better!!) GO FOR IT

Go for it!!! That sounds like quite the honor and experience!

Congrats and have fun.