Unique Situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Texas+Canada

Reaction score
Hi so I'll just get into it.

I am a 3rd year English Student at a school in Canada: UBC. I'm a U.S. citizen so all last year I was on a gap year in a community college in U.S. where I competed Bio 1, Bio 2, Chem 1, Chem 2, and Cal 1 and my GPA there was 3.88 (I got a b in chem 1). My gpa at UBC is a 2.7 and on top of that, I failed calculus and physics while at that school (actually I passed physics with a c but I failed the lab for not showing up on test day) (and I had a close death happen to me when I was in cal). The rest of my grades there were in arts courses and they were average (some As mostly Bs). I also failed a politics course.

All in all, I never saw myself pursuing medicine, until last year so I definitely was not hand making the transcript of a lifetime. I am now at a crossroads though; Should I continue at UBC and get an English degree and bring my gpa up?

OR should I transfer to my local University and finish a Biology degree and as a consequence let med and DO schools see how I basically abandoned a 2.7 gpa.

There is also a third option because of corona making classes online: Stay enrolled in UBC and register at my local Uni in biology. That way I get to bring my gpa up a bit but also get a biology degree ( I will eventually do my science pre-reqs there anyway).

Pros of UBC: It's supposed to be an "ivy" school but this is only a pro if med schools actually care haha, get my joke of a gpa up, prove I am capable of doing well there (I didn't leave because I was incapable)

Cons of UBC: It's expensive

Pros of local Uni: It's WAY cheaper, I will get more science-related opportunities as a biology major (such as recommendations from science professors)

Cons of local Uni: I feel like getting my degree there after 3 years of being at UBC will look suss to an admissions committee.

Can some people please give me advice? I'm not sure if my fears are valid.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
by the way I already go into my local Uni, I completed a stats course there this summer w/ an a.

I have been keeping both options open but if I don't go back to taking classes at UBC this fall, I'll be kicked out bc gaps only last a year max there.

My moms advice is to take one class at ubc and the rest at local uni so I can raise the gpa while also getting the opportunity of being in a biology program.

I really want the advice of people who have personal experience with med/DO admissions committees though.

Last edited:

I am a 3rd year English Student at a school in Canada: UBC. I'm a U.S. citizen so all last year I was on a gap year in a community college in U.S. where I competed Bio 1, Bio 2, Chem 1, Chem 2 and Cal 1 and my GPA there was 3.88 (I got a b in chem 1). My gpa at UBC is a 2.7 and on top of that I failed calculus and physics while at that school (actually I passed physics with a c but I failed the lab for not showing up on test day) (and I had a close death happen to me when I was in cal). The rest of my grades there were in arts courses and they were average (some As mostly Bs). I also failed a politics course. All in all, I never saw myself pursuing medicine, until last year so I definitely was not hand making the transcript of a lifetime. I am now at a crossroads though; Should I continue at UBC and get an English degree and bring my gpa up? OR should I transfer to my local University and finish a Biology degree and as a consequence let med and DO schools see how I basically abandoned a 2.7 gpa. There is also a third option because of corona making classes online: Stay enrolled in UBC and register at my local Uni in biology. That way I get to bring my gpa up a bit but also get a biology degree ( I will eventually do my science pre-reqs there anyway).
Pros of UBC: Its supposed to be an "ivy" school but this is only a pro if med schools actually care haha, get my joke of a gpa up, prove I am capable of doing well there (I didn't leave because I was incapable)
Cons of UBC: Its hella expensive
Pros of local Uni: Its WAY cheaper, I will get more science-related opportunities as a biology major (such as recommendations from science professors)
Cons of local Uni: I feel like getting my degree there after 3 years of being at UBC will look suss to an admissions committee.
Impossible to read the wall of text.

Please use paragraphs and then we can help

Members don't see this ad :)

I am a 3rd year English Student at a school in Canada: UBC. I'm a U.S. citizen so all last year I was on a gap year in a community college in U.S. where I competed Bio 1, Bio 2, Chem 1, Chem 2, and Cal 1 and my GPA there was 3.88 (I got a b in chem 1). My gpa at UBC is a 2.7 and on top of that, I failed calculus and physics while at that school (actually I passed physics with a c but I failed the lab for not showing up on test day) (and I had a close death happen to me when I was in cal). The rest of my grades there were in arts courses and they were average (some As mostly Bs). I also failed a politics course.

All in all, I never saw myself pursuing medicine, until last year so I definitely was not hand making the transcript of a lifetime. I am now at a crossroads though; Should I continue at UBC and get an English degree and bring my gpa up?

OR should I transfer to my local University and finish a Biology degree and as a consequence let med and DO schools see how I basically abandoned a 2.7 gpa.

There is also a third option because of corona making classes online: Stay enrolled in UBC and register at my local Uni in biology. That way I get to bring my gpa up a bit but also get a biology degree ( I will eventually do my science pre-reqs there anyway).

Pros of UBC: It's supposed to be an "ivy" school but this is only a pro if med schools actually care haha, get my joke of a gpa up, prove I am capable of doing well there (I didn't leave because I was incapable)

Cons of UBC: It's expensive

Pros of local Uni: It's WAY cheaper, I will get more science-related opportunities as a biology major (such as recommendations from science professors)

As far as I know, med schools won't see the 2.7 GPA, they see overall GPA, science GPA, and broken into other specific categories including per year. Pursue the biology degree if your science GPA is low. Pursue an English degree if your science GPA is good. Either way you don't have to transfer to another college as you'll have to submit all transcripts to aacomas/amcas. PERSONALLY, I would choose the cheaper school because prestige isn't that big of a deal to med schools, at least not to accumulate significant debt. Med schools will not think its suss if you ended up getting your degree at the local university and even if they did ask, a simple "I couldn't afford it", is sufficient.

Reactions: 1 user

I am a 3rd year English Student at a school in Canada: UBC. I'm a U.S. citizen so all last year I was on a gap year in a community college in U.S. where I competed Bio 1, Bio 2, Chem 1, Chem 2 and Cal 1 and my GPA there was 3.88 (I got a b in chem 1). My gpa at UBC is a 2.7 and on top of that I failed calculus and physics while at that school (actually I passed physics with a c but I failed the lab for not showing up on test day) (and I had a close death happen to me when I was in cal).

The rest of my grades there were in arts courses and they were average (some As mostly Bs). I also failed a politics course. All in all, I never saw myself pursuing medicine, until last year so I definitely was not hand making the transcript of a lifetime. I am now at a crossroads though; Should I continue at UBC and get an English degree and bring my gpa up? OR should I transfer to my local University and finish a Biology degree and as a consequence let med and DO schools see how I basically abandoned a 2.7 gpa. There is also a third option because of corona making classes online: Stay enrolled in UBC and register at my local Uni in biology. That way I get to bring my gpa up a bit but also get a biology degree ( I will eventually do my science pre-reqs there anyway).

Pros of UBC: Its supposed to be an "ivy" school but this is only a pro if med schools actually care haha, get my joke of a gpa up, prove I am capable of doing well there (I didn't leave because I was incapable)

Cons of UBC: Its expensive

Pros of local Uni: Its WAY cheaper, I will get more science-related opportunities as a biology major (such as recommendations from science professors)

As far as I know, med schools won't see the 2.7 GPA, they see overall GPA, science GPA, and broken into other specific categories including per year. Pursue the biology degree if your science GPA is low. Pursue an English degree if your science GPA is good. Either way you don't have to transfer to another college as you'll have to submit all transcripts to aacomas/amcas. PERSONALLY, I would choose the cheaper school because prestige isn't that big of a deal to med schools, at least for the expensive pricepoint. Med schools will not think its suss you ended up getting your degree at the local university and even if they did ask, a simple "I couldn't afford it", is sufficient.
wow I really appreciate your answer @MedStud305 I have been wondering this exact thing all summer and this really helps TY!