Unique Situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kanoe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a third year bio major, I recently realized that by spring I will have completed the requirements for my degree. Herein lies my predicament, what to do?

Should I graduate, if so what to do during the year off, work?

Stay another year at school and get either a second degree or minor in either poli sci or anthro. I could potentially raise my science and overall gpa too.

All comments are appreciated, and merry xmas to all!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a third year bio major, I recently realized that by spring I will have completed the requirements for my degree. Herein lies my predicament, what to do?

Stay another year at school and get either a second degree or minor in either poli sci or anthro. I could potentially raise my science and overall gpa too.

I vote for get a second degree in chem or biochem while getting some volunteer experience in the hospital working on clinical research

Specifics would be nice. Does your GPA need raising? If you take a year off every school will ask you what you are doing with your time. You need to have a good answer and be involved with something substantial, be it a job/internship with EC's on the side or something else.

IMO, The easier route would be to stay in school.

Members don't see this ad :)
not all that unique

make sure your school doesn't automatically "graduate" you after you fulfill the requirements if that is not what you want to do. Sounds silly, but larger institutions have this sort of stuff automated.

are you applying to med school after this year? If so, I'd go ahead and finish, if you are pretty sure you will get in somewhere. Travel or something, if that is your thing. Or take one extra semester and then do something else.

How much is your tuition? If you can take that extra year cheaply, go for it.

i graduated early and am getting a master's before med school. aside from getting the chance to study something in-depth beyond the undergrad level, i've also found it to be helpful in applying to med school this year, both in my personal statements and at interviews. there are a lot of one year master's programs out there you can do some research on. application deadlines are fast approaching though so if that is something that may interest you you should get on the ball.

Enjoy your senior year! I am in the exact same boat, but what really convinced me was that many medical students I've talked to said to take time and enjoy college while you can, it is a once in a lifetime experience and you've come so far already take an easy courseload and really build some relationships with ppl senior year!

At my school it's considered risky to graduate early b/c if there's any weaknesses in your app academic-wise or maturity-wise, they'll argue that you should've just stayed in school and took some extra classes, learned a language, made yourself more interesting, whatever.