Unite for Sight costs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeviatedUvula

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The website has a link that says most of what you will pay for, but I wanted to share what I spent so others considering can get a general idea.

Refundable deposit $1800
Required donation* $1800
600 glasses** $270
Flight (obviously varies) $2200
Visa application $100
Required insurance $110

Total $6280
Total after deposit reimbursement $4480

*Can do fundraising
**Can get a portion of the glasses donated, saving ~$40
This does not include costs incurred during the mission trip itself.

Members don't see this ad.

Oooo, thanks for sharing! How was the trip itself? Would you recommend going based on your experience? I have been considering it for a while now but the cost is definitely a huge factor in actually being able to go... :eek:

Oooo, thanks for sharing! How was the trip itself? Would you recommend going based on your experience? I have been considering it for a while now but the cost is definitely a huge factor in actually being able to go... :eek:
For pre-professional students it might be worthwhile, for students already in graduate/professional school (aka optometry, med, etc) I'm not so sure unless the research part is done with it. There are programs that will pay for your trip for a set amount of time, but you'd have to search for those. The trip itself was good, you work most of the day on the weekdays and usually get weekends off.