Univ of Chicago vs. Univ of Colorado (RMLEI)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

macro0rchidism

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yet another "vs" thread...

Univ of Chicago- recent changes in the program, not a dept but a division. New evanston hospital (acquired from northwestern) but the hospital is ~45 min away from the main campus. No VA hospital. Good numbers, might be weak in glaucoma and retina.

Univ of Colorado- top ten clinical program last year (for whatever that is worth). Hospitals in close proximity. Good numbers. Good fellowship placement (retina at JSEI, Wilmer). For some reason, people don't have the greatest things to say about this program, but I am unsure as to why.

I'm trying to decide which one to rank higher. Any input from fellow interviewees who visited both programs? Or input from anyone else for that matter?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Re: U Colorado-Denver, I thought the program was definitely solid for clinical/surgical training. Their numbers are pretty good and are competitive with any other place, in my opinion. When asking one of the faculty there what they thought the strongest aspect of their program was, they definitely said the surgical training. If you are heading the subspecialty/academic route, I'm not sure if it would be hard finding a good mentor. That said, their matches to JSEI and Wilmer for retina in the past few years are impressive. I didn't get the strongest vibes there just because I thought the residents who matched there said they hadn't ranked it at the top of their list. Seemed like they were still happy with the program though.

Turned down my interview to U Chicago because one resident who rotated there when she was a med student warned me that the dept is going through some major changes, faculty had recently left at the time, etc. I don't know what has changed since she had rotated there though (this was 2-3 years ago).

i agree with futureopht... the residents at colorado seemed to be there by fate of the match and not by first choice. seems like a solid program with young faculty (for better or worse)... i think both have promising fellowship potential, research opportunites, and clinical training (especiall with the addition of evanston). just comes down to what city you want to be in and who you want to work with (i.e. faculty and residents you met).