Univ. of Cincinnati secondary....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shejeboshease

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Have you been convicted of or pleaded guilty or no contest to, any moving traffic violations(moving violations includes speeding tickets) ?
Yes No Please select for traffic violation info!
Please limit your responses to 500 characters. You will receive an error message if you exceed this limit.

should i talk about the only traffic violation ticket that i got two years ago? it wasn't a speeding ticket, i was just making an wrong U turn. How should i write a 500 characters essay on it?

2. *If you are currently NOT enrolled in a degree granting program, please briefly describe your major activities since you received your college degree.
Yes NoPlease select for activity since graduation!
Please limit your responses to 750 characters. You will receive an error message if you exceed this limit.

Members don't see this ad.

I had the same question. I called the office of admissions and asked; what they told me is to put any and every traffic violation on there from the time you started driving....in my case there was like 7 citations!! I hope this will not affect my chances of getting in... if it does then thats rediculous.. good luck to you!

Does Cincinnati's secondary have any essays?

Members don't see this ad :)
Shejeboshease said:
1. Have you been convicted of or pleaded guilty or no contest to, any moving traffic violations(moving violations includes speeding tickets) ?
Yes No Please select for traffic violation info!
Please limit your responses to 500 characters. You will receive an error message if you exceed this limit.

should i talk about the only traffic violation ticket that i got two years ago? it wasn't a speeding ticket, i was just making an wrong U turn. How should i write a 500 characters essay on it?

2. *If you are currently NOT enrolled in a degree granting program, please briefly describe your major activities since you received your college degree.
Yes NoPlease select for activity since graduation!
Please limit your responses to 750 characters. You will receive an error message if you exceed this limit.

Do you have any idea how short 500 characters is? (For reference, your post was over 800 characters long)

Just write what your ticket was, when it occurred, and (if you're feeling up to it) a sentence about why it happened/why it doesn't indicate a pattern of reckless behavior.

La Morenita said:

No real essays. Just questions like the ones above.

Do you have any felonies or convictions. If yes, explain

Any traffic violations. If yes, explain

Any institutional action. If yes, explain

Have you matriculated at a med school before. If yes, explain

I think that was about it, maybe 1 more.

Wow, that is a pretty unexpected secondary question (traffic violations). Makes me really happy that a cop just gave me a warning for speeding this weekend.

no just write that you did get a moving violation. You are subject to a background check, so you might as well be truthful. I found the questions odd, but according to the FAQ, its to check up on your recklessness.

Okay, so I don't go around speeding and driving recklessly, but I've gotten speeding tix in the past, sure. Does that make me a bad future physician? I can't even remember how many I've had. Probably 8-10, but I'm 31 and they tend to be spaced every 2 years or so. Except once in undergrad when I got two in one morning. I was late and got busted twice, made me REALLY LATE. Thankfully it was in two different states.
Perhaps I should just copy this response...

Does a "moving violation" include, for example, getting a suspended license for having had too many violations? Most states have a rule that does it automatically for anyone getting 3 tickets prior to 18. I suppose that's not a moving violation, but who knows. I think moving violations are citations.

And does that include citations that were removed from your record and don't count as points? :confused:

Worst secondary question of all time.

i dare someone to write i have a moving violation every time i go dancing cause its a sin to be this good

sandros1 said:
Okay, so I don't go around speeding and driving recklessly, but I've gotten speeding tix in the past, sure. Does that make me a bad future physician? I can't even remember how many I've had. Probably 8-10, but I'm 31 and they tend to be spaced every 2 years or so. Except once in undergrad when I got two in one morning. I was late and got busted twice, made me REALLY LATE. Thankfully it was in two different states.
Perhaps I should just copy this response...

*gasp*

Please inform me when you get your Medical License, I have to make sure I don't go to someone so reckless.

La Morenita said:

This is it... you just don't know it.

Once I was thinking about U. Cinci's great peds program while driving on I-55, my speed drifted up to 81 in a 65 and I recieved a ticket.

At the age of 16, I was so preoccupied with mastering my pre-medical sciences so I could attend a great institution like U Cinci, I allowed my registration to lapse and was given a citation. Also, I didn't have proof of insurance on me, I had taken it out to put a wallet size photo of the U Cinci library, where I hope to spend most of my time. I got another citation for that.

DougFlutie said:
Does a "moving violation" include, for example, getting a suspended license for having had too many violations? Most states have a rule that does it automatically for anyone getting 3 tickets prior to 18. I suppose that's not a moving violation, but who knows. I think moving violations are citations.

And does that include citations that were removed from your record and don't count as points? :confused:

Worst secondary question of all time.

They told me they want everything... here is their explanation of why they want this information under their "frequently asked questions"

"Why are you asking me about “moving violations” such as speeding tickets on the On-Line Secondary Application and what if I have one?

The Admissions Committee wants to know about any possible pattern of reckless behavior or may be concerned with a single act of reckless behavior. One speeding ticket will typically not draw the concern of the committee, unless it was for excessive speed or if in that situation there might have been the possibility of danger to the student and/or others."

Members don't see this ad :)
bearkat1 said:
The Admissions Committee wants to know about any possible pattern of reckless behavior or may be concerned with a single act of reckless behavior. One speeding ticket will typically not draw the concern of the committee, unless it was for excessive speed or if in that situation there might have been the possibility of danger to the student and/or others."

Yeah, they really won't care about one or two tickets. Mine didn't come up in my interview at all, and you could tell my interviewer was really well acquainted with my application. And it obviously didn't remove me from consideration, since they got back to me like a week after my interview. Don't sweat it too much, just list them out and be honest.

Depakote said:
This is it... you just don't know it.

Once I was thinking about U. Cinci's great peds program while driving on I-55, my speed drifted up to 81 in a 65 and I recieved a ticket.

At the age of 16, I was so preoccupied with mastering my pre-medical sciences so I could attend a great institution like U Cinci, I allowed my registration to lapse and was given a citation. Also, I didn't have proof of insurance on me, I had taken it out to put a wallet size photo of the U Cinci library, where I hope to spend most of my time. I got another citation for that.

That is so awesome. I just can't get over it. ROFL!

I put this on the class thread as someone asked about it... there is no way Cinci cares too much about those questions they ask on the secondary.

I had an alcohol violation, a off campus misconduct violation (I actually did nothing wrong but it was still on there) and a speeding ticket. I had 7 interviews. Asked about those violations at all EXCEPT Cincinnati and my interviewer knew the age of my parents, there jobs, etc... she was the most organized and comprehensive interviewer i had. I think if you have 1 or 2 tickets for less than 20 over the limit, you are fine. Obviously I dont know that for sure but its a good guess. If you have a ton of speeding tickets, they may view that differently. Cinci is an awesome school and it was my first choice after my interview day there. I was an out of stater too and kept worrying about those violations having a negative impact. I think once u have the interview those will have little effect. I also posted this on our class thread but out of 5600 hospitals according to US NEWS UC's departments ranked:

# 17 in ENT
# 41 in Gastro
# 26 in Endo
# 21 in Cardio
# 40 in Nephrology
# 38 in Neurology
# 8 in Peds
# 21 in Pscyh
# 25 in Pulmonary
# 30 in urology

Also a top program in EM even though US news doesnt rank that.

Cinci is a great school and I encourage people to apply even if they think that there speeding tickets or institutional violations will hold them back. For out of staters i think the app fee is only 25.oo At least that was what is was last year for me.... good luck.

I am not able to log in to their secondary site. I got the email today, but when I put my SS# in for username, and birthday in for password (in mmddyyyy) it says I don't match the system...? Anyone else deal with this?

Thanks

juiceman311 said:
I am not able to log in to their secondary site. I got the email today, but when I put my SS# in for username, and birthday in for password (in mmddyyyy) it says I don't match the system...? Anyone else deal with this?

Thanks

yeah you need to click on apply 2007 and then read what they have to say on the next screen and on the bottom it will say click to continue or something like that. i had the same problem, you are using the login screen from last year. i hopethis makes since it is the best way i can explain it

This is probably a stupid question, but there's a box that asks if your premed advisor is submitting a letter via interfolio on our behalf. If we are submitting our own letters via interfolio (and have no premed advisor letter) then we check off NO for this box right?

kidthor said:
This is probably a stupid question, but there's a box that asks if your premed advisor is submitting a letter via interfolio on our behalf. If we are submitting our own letters via interfolio (and have no premed advisor letter) then we check off NO for this box right?

Is there a box you can check to signify that you will be submitting separate letters and not a premed advisor letter?

kidthor said:

yeah i have that same question. anyone have an answer?

I don't yet... I tried calling them but it goes straight to voicemail. I'm guessing that we do check no, especially since then it lets us list who the recs are coming from. But, who knows!

i'm assuming parking tickets don't count....i am on unc's wall of shame for that
not very good at understanding legalese
:(

i should put down on it, i was once looked at in a suspicious way by a parking enforcer.

braluk said:
i should put down on it, i was once looked at in a suspicious way by a parking enforcer.

what? i don't get it...
geez, i keep getting dumber the more secondaries i do...

It says moving violation... Parking tickets are not moving violations.

I requested my driving record to see what they wrote on there. I received a civil infraction (They wanted my $100) for swerving off an icy hill on a snowy night in February a couple years ago and into a ditch. (Tree stopped my fall) Anyway, it was no points, and I'm not sure it's on my driving record anyway.

I doubt they would care about a single isolated incident (as they said in their FAQ).

But I would like to know for future reference anyway.

gapotts2003 said:
It says moving violation... Parking tickets are not moving violations.

I requested my driving record to see what they wrote on there. I received a civil infraction (They wanted my $100) for swerving off an icy hill on a snowy night in February a couple years ago and into a ditch. (Tree stopped my fall) Anyway, it was no points, and I'm not sure it's on my driving record anyway.

I doubt they would care about a single isolated incident (as they said in their FAQ).

But I would like to know for future reference anyway.

how do you request your driving record? i am in a different state now. that's a good idea b/c i can't remember what month i got the ticket in.
thanks!

p.s. glad you are okay! that sounds like a rough accident! :eek:

medanthgirl said:
how do you request your driving record? i am in a different state now. that's a good idea b/c i can't remember what month i got the ticket in.
thanks!

p.s. glad you are okay! that sounds like a rough accident! :eek:

nevermind, i googled it and figured it out.