Univ of Cincinnati vs Temple (Lewis Katz SOM; $100k Scholarship)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Many thanks for taking the time to add your feedback. I'm a bit stuck with my school choice.

I completed my undergraduate degree in Cincinnati, and I would really like a change of scenery. However, the University of Cincinnati is an objectively "better" medical school. So, I'm coping with the want of something new versus the fortunate opportunity to attend a great medical school in my home state.

1) University of Cincinnati
Pros:
- well-known researchers and exceptional NIH research funding in my area of interest
- phenomenal children's hospital
- proximal to Cincinnati EPA, VA, Dept of Health (I'm interested in the MPH program)
- in-state tuition (~$34k a year)
- closer to home by 3.5 hrs
- some interesting and specialized student groups that other medical schools don't have
- Cincinnati is a lovely part of the state; has a southern feel while still in a fairly large city

Cons:
- students are ranked by quartiles
- smaller hospital network than Temple by 200+ beds
- the substantial global health electives are mostly restricted to 4th-year medical students
- "more of the same"

2) Temple (LKSOM)
Pros:
- whole curriculum (MS1-->MS4) is pass/fail
- premium placed on "clinical medicine" which I like
- translational research in an area that matches my graduate thesis
- very large (720 bed) hospital network
- larger general population of the city = more exotic cases (zebras)
- more to see in the city = Sixers, Eagles, Phillies; historical museums, and art galleries
- awarded $100k scholarship over 4 yrs (makes tuition the same as UC)

Cons:
- North Philadelphia is not particularly attractive (inc. crime, poor transportation)
- lack established global health program
- average to large class size (200+)
- less prestigious than UC (Temple US NEWS ranking: 66 vs UC: 44)
- much longer drive from home (not a big deal, but still a factor) = Philadelphia (6.5 hours); Cincinnati (3.0 hours)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I can certainly emphasize with wanting to spread your wings.

The schools are pretty much the same in term of rankings (40s and 60s is nothing) and you should see what you think is a better fit.

Have you ever been to Philly? The Temple area isn't particularly a good area and I would just make sure you know what you're getting into.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user
I can certainly emphasize with wanting to spread your wings.

The schools are pretty much the same in term of rankings (40s and 60s is nothing) and you should see what you think is a better fit.

Have you ever been to Philly? The Temple area isn't particularly a good area and I would just make sure you know what you're getting into.

Med School Tutors
Thanks for the response!

The truth is that I have no idea what I'm getting into. I have never been to Philadelphia before, so I'm not sure what to expect.

I'm vaccinated, so I am going to try and visit campus before the 31 April decision date.

Thanks for the response!

The truth is that I have no idea what I'm getting into. I have never been to Philadelphia before, so I'm not sure what to expect.

I'm vaccinated, so I am going to try and visit campus before the 31 April decision date.
That is an excellent idea! I know plenty of people who have gone to Temple and lived in Philly and enjoyed it, so I don't want it to seem like I'm trying to put either of them down because parts of it is a great City and the programs there tend to be very good. it's just one of those places that I wouldn't sign up for 4 years without ever visiting. I remember my interview there thinking that the preclinical complex is beautiful.

Feel free to run the details of your trip and your thoughts in this thread at a later date. Would love to see what you end up deciding!

Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly I can see you making the case for either school here. Both are solid. I would recommend though that you live outside of north Philly if you do decide on Temple - both for safety reasons as well as the fact that you will enjoy city life better, and that seems to be a main aim of yours.

Reactions: 1 users