Univ of Hawaii

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bearie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received an invite here and I was wondering if anyone interviewed here in past cycles and knows whether having no connection to Hawaii decreases chances of being ranked highly? Is residency different from med school where being out of state hurts?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you speak Spanish fluently?

Members don't see this ad :)
I received an invite here and I was wondering if anyone interviewed here in past cycles and knows whether having no connection to Hawaii decreases chances of being ranked highly?
They like folks who are from Hawaii or have lived there, but it's not a deal killer. It's not a particularly competitive residency.

They like the local flavor because the state is medically underserved and they want people who actually want to stay rather than "it would be cool to live 4 years in Hawaii." Also, living on Hawaii doesn't agree with a lot of people and hearing haole's gripe about how your island sucks would get really, really grating after a while.

If you're committed, go for it. I interviewed there and really liked the place. I lived in Hawaii for a few years so I gave it some good thought. Great multicultural psychiatry focus.

Last edited:
Call and ask the program coordinator. Done.