Univ. of Miami Exposed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdsiren

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Univ of Miami isn't the same place it used to be. And there are a few things that all SDNers should know. As an undergrad of UM and florida res, you now have the worse chance of being accepted into their medical school. Hinkley once told a friend of mine that he has a better chance of being accepted to UM Med if he attended an out of state undergrad and being a Florida resident. This advice was given to him as a freshmen and he transferred to Duke undergrad. Now, the former pres (Foote) left and Shalala took over the reigns. All I have to say is that she makes one hell of a politician. When she arrived at UM, she claimed that she was student oriented and that she was going to make changes. B*ll ****. No changes and no plans on making changes. The only thing that she has done is generate money. And that is all she is about. $$$ The Bling Bling. Greedy Jerk!! Through her "Momentum" campaign, she has raised billions for the medical school. But that's not enough to satisfy her. Now, the advice that Hinkley gave my friend is outdated. The current advice is that you have a better chance of getting into UM as a non-resident of Florida. Because 1. non-res pay more money for tuition 2. Shalala wants UM ranked because they are not even in the top 50. This 2004 application year has been the worse for Florida residents. For the most part, only non-res (like from Cali and NY) have been interviewing and getting accepted. Supposedly, UM claims that they are using a "new formula" to generate the list of interviewees. New formula? What kind of formula must this be when a girl I know was accepted to Wash U in Dec and has not even heard from UM. To be frank, UM sucks and really needs to check themselves. If it wasn't for Jackson, they wouldn't be anything worth looking at. The admissions committee needs to develop a better so-called formula and meet as a regular committee and not through a computer generated vote. Money should be spent on fixing their sh*tty facilities and giving the Rosenstiel building a major facelit. That building is so disgusting. The so-called innovative curriculum should also be changed because it dissects all subjects into blocks and does not integrate the different disciplines which is going to hurt the students come USMLE time. And Dean Hinkley should stop being so freaking cocky. (FYI: his license plate is a vanity plate "MD MAKER" Come on! Give me a break. The only person that makes a doctor, is that person's sweat, blood, tears, and lots of money. Also, he really needs to stop being Shalala's B*tch. That whole Medical School is wack. Except Hinkley's secretary Agnes. Just thought everyone should know. Go to UF, USF and even FSU. Much cheaper and better. Like I said, it is not the place that it used to be.

Members don't see this ad.

If I did not know so much about UM I would not get that post...but this will likely be erased...???

Either way, UM is losing a lot of good students to out of state schools, and I wonder if some of their new graduates will want to practice in South Florida as much as the in-state students they reject...:confused:

Let me guess....you got rejected by UM?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, join the club...here in OR, OHSU changed their status from being a fully public med school to a "publicly owned corporation" or some such nonsense several years ago, which basically means they take less state funding and now admit half of their class from out-of-state, with the number of non-residents being admitted increasing each year. I know several Oregon students who have been admitted into good schools in other states (Stanford, UCSF), and yet not gotten into OHSU, their state school. Be glad, at least you have other state schools in FL that do take a lot of residents--we've only got the one option here. +pity+

Interesting. I'm a CA resident and both OHSU and UofMiami wanted to interview me before I could say "how long before I'll hear back?"

You're WAYYYYYYY off base with your comment about UM taking mostly out-of-state applicants. Take a look at the stats from last year....

http://www.miami.edu/UMH/CDA/UMH_Main/0,1770,2600-1;14190-2;22080-3,00.html

106 FL residents accepted and 35 non-Floridians.

That's a pretty damn good ratio when you look at some other stats for private schools around the country. Some of them have an even 50:50 split for state residents vs non state. UM's ratio seems perfectly acceptable to me! This coming from a FL resident who just got in there....

I think UM's doing a GREAT job at trying to up their reputation. Getting $$$ is important. UM's got a HUGE coffer of research money, and I think that's wonderful. Nothing wrong with that.

What's your beef with Hinkley? His licence plate is fine, I think. Hinkley is about the most UN-pretentious person I've ever met. HE was honest and cut to the chase with all of us.

Why are you going off on this crazy rant anyway?

PS- It's not "worse", it's "worst". And try using the enter key once in a while - it's easier on the eyes.

no..I was not rejected. I haven't heard anything from UM...just like most UM undergrads. Fortunately, for me I got into some other schools that are much better than UM and still waiting to hear from my top choices.

this year is a complete different story. Any florida res feel the same?

Originally posted by mdsiren
no..I was not rejected. I haven't heard anything from UM...just like most UM undergrads.

I'm sure there was SOMETHING in your app that made them not get in touch with you. Life experiences, grades, clinicals, who knows.

We all know this process is a crapshoot. Sometimes even the "surefire" schools never call you back. That's no reason to bash them. It comes off as immature.

Hmmm, I really don't know what the deal is. Everyone at my interview seemed to be from Harvard, Northwestern, or a CA school.

I think California is causing a lot of these problems though - if the UC's would be a little more loyal to their population, then the Californian applicants wouldn't be forced to compete in these other states - maybe that's not completely the case but it sure feels like it to me.

Our state schools are completely inadequate to accomodate the number of qualified Californian applicants and it sucks. I think either UC's should stick to Californians, or schools like UF should start accepting out of state people.

I'm starting to sound like the OP, eh? Honestly, the UC schools are awesome and deserve their good rep.

The op is right about out of state apps. Hinkley, speaking in my presence this past summer spoke about increases in out of state students. The stats from last year are not from the new policy changes. The effert of those will be seen this year.

I don't understand why the University of Miami owes Florida residents anything. Being a private school, they have the right to accept anyone they wish. Only out of the kindness of their hearts do private schools like Miami, Emory, and Wake Forest look more closely at applications from students in their state.

I understand that Miami has begun allowing up to 30 or 40 non-residents to matriculate each year, but that still leaves room for plenty of Florida residents. I'm sure it takes stellar numbers (e.g., 3.8+ GPA, 34+ MCAT) to be accepted by Miami as an out-of-stater. Who can blame them for trying to improve their medical school and generate more research dollars?

With South Florida, Florida, and now Florida State accepting virtually all Florida residents, plus Miami accepting a majority of Florida residents, it seems like a pretty favorable state for applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
Havard doesn't offer any advantages to Mass residents. You don't see me B*tching about it.

Actually, Hinkley told me they are looking at making it 50/50 FL and non-FL but this will probably take a few years. I'd guess that this year it will be higher than 40 nonresidents though.

Just FYI Miami kinda does owe FL residents something... When the state put out the call for a FL med school Miami (althought private) was the first to answer and therefore is gauranteed state funding. So since they get state funding, they should be interested in educating state residents that will practice in Florida. Dr. Hinkley also expressed to me his desire to get the school closer to 50/50... I'm really not sure what the motivation is.

I should be somewhat upset that UM hasn't given me an interview or even contacted me. They'll probably not even bother to send me a letter of rejection. That is pretty poor when when an applicant takes the time to fill out secondaries and give them their $75 fee. I am guessing they are just trying to take more people's money.
UM isn't worth half of their price. I was at a forum where Hinkley was trying to sell UM and somebody asked him why it cost so much. Sort of a stupid question, but his response was funny. He kind of stammered on about how their resources made them so much better than other schools like UF- BS.

Originally posted by davika0
Just FYI Miami kinda does owe FL residents something... When the state put out the call for a FL med school Miami (althought private) was the first to answer and therefore is gauranteed state funding. So since they get state funding, they should be interested in educating state residents that will practice in Florida. Dr. Hinkley also expressed to me his desire to get the school closer to 50/50... I'm really not sure what the motivation is.

Its to increase the national reputation of Miami. You can pick the out of state students with the highest test scores and grades and the best accomplishments. The US News rank rises a bit maybe, and then the next year you have "better" students people who want to go there. The school gets more and more money from each out of state student from tution and maybe from the research that these talented student conduct and this also makes the reputation better. Just speculating.

this is a pretty interesting thread, and i think there's something to it.

first, UM gets state money, therefore they have to show preference to florida residents. plenty of "private" schools work this way (ie, baylor).

next, and please don't accuse me of bitterness because UM was my 3rd choice of fl schools to begin with, i am quite shocked to have not even been offered an interview from UM. i'm an fl resident and you can look at my mdapplicants profile for the numbers. i don't claim to be g-d's gift or anything, but you'd think my numbers would have at least gotten me an interview.

i really don't know why this is happening, but i don't care all that much either. as for the person who said fl is a good state to be in: i would agree as we have well over 350 spots at reserved between the 4 schools.

Originally posted by mdsiren
this year is a complete different story. Any florida res feel the same?

This year UM is not accepting any more than 35 out-of-staters. Maybe they are interviewing a lot of out-of-staters for those 35 slots, and hence the frequent out-of-state encounter stories from Harvard, MIT, etc. Infact, for in-state UM is accepting 16 more ppl than last year for a total of 122 in-state students. I think UM has every right to accept out-of-state students since it is a private school. The state of FL knows that and its going to cut UMs state funding accordingly, so UM is not doing anything unfair or illegal. Having said that, I think UM could be a little more open and honest about their "ranking" system and their admissions policies. Oh, BTW I am a FL resident who attended an out-of-state undergrad and got a interview from UM. So maybe mdsiren is right up to a point.

I go to UF, and the only person I know from here that got an interview (besides me) is a URM with above-average URM stats. I applied in Sept, and just got an interview invite this week, and if I had the time, I would go just to listen and ask all the hard questions nobody has the guts to ask since I wouldn't be risking anything. There is no way I would go there knowing what I know now.
I would really like to know what UM is looking for in an in-state applicant, because it is NOT great numbers, and it's NOT great EC's. I know many people here at UF that have heard nothing from UM, and these same people have acceptances in and out of state. We are all perplexed, and I am beginning to think there is something wrong with me BECAUSE I got a UM interview invite.

Originally posted by evines
I go to UF, and the only person I know from here that got an interview (besides me) is a URM with above-average URM stats. I applied in Sept, and just got an interview invite this week, and if I had the time, I would go just to listen and ask all the hard questions nobody has the guts to ask since I wouldn't be risking anything. There is no way I would go there knowing what I know now.
I would really like to know what UM is looking for in an in-state applicant, because it is NOT great numbers, and it's NOT great EC's. I know many people here at UF that have heard nothing from UM, and these same people have acceptances in and out of state. We are all perplexed, and I am beginning to think there is something wrong with me BECAUSE I got a UM interview invite.

One thing I think they're looking for is international travel and broad-mindedness. Staying instate for college may sort of defeat their perception of that...

Originally posted by ewing
One thing I think they're looking for is international travel and broad-mindedness. Staying instate for college may sort of defeat their perception of that...

ewing,
I have to agree with you on that. UM really looks for people who have broad life experiences, whether it is going on international travel or going to out-of-state colleges (both of which I did BTW, and got an interview this week). Having decent grades and mcat scores is a plus but I really think they emphasize on the above mentioned things. Knowing a bit of spanish is also a plus.

Originally posted by fullefect1
Havard doesn't offer any advantages to Mass residents. You don't see me B*tching about it.

Harvard isn't a state school, to the best of my knowledge.

Firstly to the UF poster... When I went to my interview there were 5 UF students and just me one from UM so I guess alot of people from Florida are getting invitations. UM interviews until April I think so don't worry about it.

To realy get this thread you kinda have to be a UM undergrad, which I love with all my heart but the med school has been bulls***ting all of us... I don't know any UM undergrads that have heard from the school and as it is not that big a school, that is significant. I have lost interest in UM now as I still have not heard from them (though they told me March 4th). It just sucks to see an institution that treats its own so badly.

To those people that justify UM's preference of Florida Residents, know that UM is a private school attatched to one of busiest hospitals in the United States. If the administration was confident in their ability to attract out of staters they would change their attitude. UM does not just give preference to people from in state, they basically act like a state school for accepting. I am a Florida resident with okay numbers and I interviewed there only to have a lecture on getting proof of in state residency... I did not get that lecture at UF, where I was accepted 1 week after my interview. The admissions process here has got under my skin... Maybe I just know too much as an undergrad!

Though I disagree that UM should be restricted to in-state only, I don't see why they have to wait till the end of the process to finally to tell Florida residents whats up with the application.

Originally posted by mosfet
ewing,
I have to agree with you on that. UM really looks for people who have broad life experiences, whether it is going on international travel or going to out-of-state colleges (both of which I did BTW, and got an interview this week). Having decent grades and mcat scores is a plus but I really think they emphasize on the above mentioned things. Knowing a bit of spanish is also a plus.

I went to an out of state college. I have traveled abroad. I had decent grades and a great mcat score. I'm fluent in spanish. No interview...did I miss another qualification you know of?

I heard back from UM relatively quickly both for interview and acceptance, and I'm a Florida resident. Most Florida resident friends of mine have also heard from UM quickly, so I'm not sure all these accusations and generalizations are justified.

While we are dissing Florida schools, WTF is up with USF? I got into UM, have yet to hear back from UF post interview, but got flat out rejected from USF.

Originally posted by Alcon
I heard back from UM relatively quickly both for interview and acceptance, and I'm a Florida resident. Most Florida resident friends of mine have also heard from UM quickly, so I'm not sure all these accusations and generalizations are justified.

While we are dissing Florida schools, WTF is up with USF? I got into UM, have yet to hear back from UF post interview, but got flat out rejected from USF.

Not sure what's up with USF. I got straight in at UF, get in at MSSM, but no interview from USF or UM. I'm a florida resident too. I think the process is just random. It's also very likely that USF and UM only choose to interview people who they think are likely to go to their schools. I know the same can be said for most schools, but I think it's esp. true at USF for instance.

Judging from the boards, I think they've done a good job. They're a few people on here who have the choice between USF and some other good schools and chose USF. I can't say I would have made the same decision, so perhaps they have a way of figuring that out :)

You know while you all complain about why you didn't get in a certain Flordia school, why don't you be happy with the fact that most of you at least have invitations to medical schools.

There are more than thousands of applications that come in each year, and only a few hundred interview spots, and even less seats to offer. I'm sure in the case of USF, they only had 350 seats to interview and were very selective this year.

As per Miami, I have a friend with a 24 MCAT, and 3.9 Postbac GPA, whom is 35 and an RN with a Spanish Degree from Emory University. She got in at both places: USF and UM, and is a state resident. She never heard back from UF though.

So that goes to show, that it isn't numbers that determines interview spots, at all schools.

Good for those of you whom got in at UF or out of state, but don't think just because you have a good MCAT and GPA, that is how admissions people pick their candidates for interviews.

THey look at the overall application and then pick whom they want for an interview.

Thanks and have a good day.

Oh and I agree with the person that said Miami is a private institution, they don't owe Florida residents anything.

And for those of you who think you should get in just because you already attend Miami, did you know that UF, doesn't give preference to its own students, and nor does USF give preference to its own students.

If anything, USF gives 40% acceptances to UF students.

So get over yourselves.

Uhh newsflash...

if Miami is taking public money from the state of Florida (which they are) then you are damn straight they "owe something" to FL residents.

If UMiami wants to be a national school, then fine. But if they are going that route, their public state funding needs to be cut. Why should the taxpayers of Florida subsidize something that they wont benefit from?

that argument doesn't hold up...U of Michigan is a state school but takes 50% of its class from out of state and still receives dollars...the funding at Miami and school like that come from the Florida residents...in other words, they are the ones that lose out for not taking the FL students.

my opinion is that the value of my degree is increased by having more out of state residents since it will likely increase the national reputation of the program. in addition, i would prefer to attend med school with a diverse class.

Originally posted by zinjanthropus
that argument doesn't hold up...U of Michigan is a state school but takes 50% of its class from out of state and still receives dollars...the funding at Miami and school like that come from the Florida residents...in other words, they are the ones that lose out for not taking the FL students.

my opinion is that the value of my degree is increased by having more out of state residents since it will likely increase the national reputation of the program. in addition, i would prefer to attend med school with a diverse class.

Fine, then they should get 50% less money than they would if they took 100% state residents.

these are good arguments. does anyone know how much money UM gets from the state of fl? is it less than the three state schools (on a per student basis)? is there anything written into their charter specifying how much of their class has to be floridians?

obviously UM isn't doing anything illegal, so i think the only real complain people can have is that they haven't made it clear to floridians that their chances of acceptance have gone down.

Originally posted by zinjanthropus

Uhh newsflash...

if Miami is taking public money from the state of Florida (which they are) then you are damn straight they "owe something" to FL residents.

If UMiami wants to be a national school, then fine. But if they are going that route, their public state funding needs to be cut. Why should the taxpayers of Florida subsidize something that they wont benefit from? -MacGyver

How do Florida residents not benefit from having a top-notch medical school in Miami?!? Taxpayers are helping support the hospital there, which will continue to improve as long as the medical school's reputation is improving. The result is a city that is nationally known for the healthcare it offers. In turn, Florida residents in or around Miami are given a very high standard of healthcare.

Think of those tax dollars going to Miami as an investment being made by a city or state to draw a large international business to the area. That business will hire some of its employees from the surrounding area, and some from other areas of the country. The business does well, and improves the economy in the form of higher income levels, tourism, the development of supporting services, etc. Miami becoming a top notch medical center is very similar.

Originally posted by Eraserhead
Interesting. I'm a CA resident and both OHSU and UofMiami wanted to interview me before I could say "how long before I'll hear back?"

Eraserhead = DrKevin?

CCW:confused:

Its so tough in FL, I agree. Those cali people really have it easy ....

CCW

Originally posted by Clemson Doc
How do Florida residents not benefit from having a top-notch medical school in Miami?!? Taxpayers are helping support the hospital there, which will continue to improve as long as the medical school's reputation is improving. The result is a city that is nationally known for the healthcare it offers. In turn, Florida residents in or around Miami are given a very high standard of healthcare.

I dont think adding non-residents improves the health care offered at UM. It will lead to a better national reputation only because the non-residents will leave the state more often than the residents will and get more recognition for the program. In doing so, UM will be training fewer docs that stay in Florida and thus, in turn, fewer docs will stay to improve the standard of healthcare in Miami.

personally i find this movement to be very superficial. I'd hope to see UM trying to improve its reputation by devoting more resources towards attracting top faculty and researchers. I thought it was pretty funny that on the interview day they had a pamphlet advertising the new gym they are building but not one mention of the new research building that its going to be on top of. All day i heard what i would be doing in my free time in miami but very little about the school. I really wanted to go there before hand, but i was really turned off by the way that the school tried to present itself.

yeah i guess i'll just second everyone's opinion that the admissions office seems quite confusing. i haven't heard jack from them....have a broad background, etc. and im a state resident (interviewed at USF and UF). of my friends that applied there.....most of them haven't heard anything even with good #'s and such, the one that received an interview had the lower #'s of all of us and has similar life experiences. maybe they take A LOT from the essays and i just suck at writing them:) oh well, at least i won't have south beach to distract me from studying.

not all florida schools. Speaking to the admissions co-ordinator at uf, she told me UF does not receive extra money for in-state students.

Miami receives the 30,000 because they are a private school.

UF has to live with government budget.

Let's welcome our newest member "rhinkley" :clap:

ok while this post has some merit, a friend of mine who also attends u of m just got accepted into the med school and he went there for undergrad and happens to be a florida resident. it so happens that was the only school that she applied to and got in so i am not so sure about them only accepting non-res. although the greater majority of students accepted are from out of state. this is sad if true because most of my friends have this school as our first choice becaues of jackso (great training, you know).

I'm a Florida resident and I got accepted off the wait list in May. On the day of my interview, Dr.Hinkley was asked directly, "Is UM taking fewer Fl residents this year than last year?" Dr.Hinkley responded by telling us that UM is only taking in up to 35 out of staters BUT that people can maintain Fl residency even if they went out of state for undergrad. He explained that many of the Fl residents being interviewed had completed their undergrad out of state and that Fl residents that did their undergrad in Fl were in fact competing with a lot of Fl residents who went to schools like Duke, Yale, Tufts, etc... This made a lot of sense to me since I had met someone on a NYC interview who got his degree from Duke and was accepted by UM in October. I asked him where he was from and he said he was a Florida resident! So yeah... the 35 out of staters per year makes it harder for Fl residents... but who knows how vigorous the competition REALLY is due to all the Fl residents with out of state degrees from big schools. Bottom line - if you like UM... apply, its competitive and they might hold your secondary for 6 months and make you wait until April for an interview, only to then to put you on the alternate list (thats my story)... but you DO have a shot, regardless of where you went to undergrad.