University of Florida vs. University of Miami

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Where should I go?

• University of Miami

Votes: 14 38.9%
  • University of Florida

Votes: 22 61.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Drsunnyday

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
DO NOT QUOTE PLEASE

University of Florida COM (COA - 220k, pending potential scholarship)

Pros
* Students and faculty really seem like a family and students are well supported
* Sibling will attend as an undergrad so we could live together
* 1.5 hours from family
* True P/F with no mandatory attendance

Cons
* Gainesville is a small college town which can be both a pro and a con but leaning con
* Does not have students consistently match surgery + surgical subspecialties and talking to students it doesn't seem like there is much departmental support for this
* Some clerkships in Jacksonville so having to move for 4 months based on a lottery system

University of Miami SOM (COA - 280k, includes small merit scholarship)
Pros
* NextGenMD curriculum with its 12 month preclinical is really good for P/F Step 1 and importance of Step 2 and research
* Better match across the board for the past two years in surgery + surgical subspecialties which I have a strong interest in (biggest advantage I think)
* Greater autonomy as a student at Jackson Memorial Hospital
* Better National reputation

Cons
* About 6 hours from family and support system
* Not a big con, but the students seem very tuned in with the Miami lifestyle (nightlife, restaurants etc) which I wouldn't necessarily say I fit into
* Not true P/F (students are internally ranked) and mandatory attendance 8-12 during M1

Members don't see this ad.

They honestly seem fairly equal based on your pros and cons, but UF does have some potentially big benefits that may weigh a lot. Having siblings there is big, esp if you like them haha. Proximity to family is great, true P/F without rankings is great too. Also, mandatory attendance SUCKS imo lol

Do you plan to go into surgery? Miami has more prestigious surgery residencies, but UF students can def match surgery without an issue. Don't forget that match lists are largely based on student preferences.

Last edited by a moderator:
They honestly seem fairly equal based on your pros and cons, but UF does have some potentially big benefits that may weigh a lot. Having siblings there is big, esp if you like them haha. Proximity to family is great, true P/F without rankings is great too. Also, mandatory attendance SUCKS imo lol

Do you plan to go into surgery? Miami has more prestigious surgery residencies, but UF students can def match surgery without an issue. Don't forget that match lists are largely based on student preferences.

Thanks for your input! I am nearly certain I want to go into surgery for personal reasons. In a way, it's why I'm in medicine so it's a strong consideration.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you leaning toward either in particular? And are you MD or MD/PhD? Both great programs so congrats on that. Also the nightlife thing seems true, as I noticed it in my interview as well. But another thing to remember is there are like 200 in a class, so even if 60% or something are like that, there are still 80 people who won’t be. So I feel that part isn’t necessarily a con

I know people who have chose both ways, and both are happy with their choice

Edit:
I also ask if you are leaning towards any in particular bc I am semi involved with both schools and don’t want to be biased, I would rather give advice based on how you are feeling

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Sibling will attend as an undergrad so we could live together
While you should consider proximity to family, I am not sure this is a good thing. You know your sibling better, but you both will have different social circles and study schedules that could make this more challenging than you think.

Are you leaning toward either in particular? And are you MD or MD/PhD? Both great programs so congrats on that. Also the nightlife thing seems true, as I noticed it in my interview as well. But another thing to remember is there are like 200 in a class, so even if 60% or something are like that, there are still 80 people who won’t be. So I feel that part isn’t necessarily a con

I know people who have chose both ways, and both are happy with their choice

Edit:
I also ask if you are leaning towards any in particular bc I am semi involved with both schools and don’t want to be biased, I would rather give advice based on how you are feeling
I have a very slight lean towards UF mainly due to the proximity to family but for the most part I am torn. I applied MD at both schools.

I have a very slight lean towards UF mainly due to the proximity to family but for the most part I am torn. I applied MD at both schools.

Gotcha. I also saw that anecdote about your sibling, which I agree with Mrsmiles12 comment. That could be due to my dynamic with my sibling (we get along great but I would not live with them).

I have heard some things about attendance policy at Miami, but I’m confirming with a current student before I speak anything on that.

I grew up around miami (not super super close) and the general area is great, plenty of things to do ranging from nature to social opportunities. So although it is far away, I think finding a good support system would be pretty easy.

I know your pros and cons are listed but do you have main concerns or things that are important to you beyond that? One other thing regarding the list is that you said UF seems like a family with their community. I agree, but that also could be our view from their admission team and the lengths they went to during their interview day. IMO the Miami interview day was not as orchestrated, and one of my Q&As with students seemed kinda meh, but that’s cause they kept getting distracted and talking to each other lol (due to lack of questions in all fairness)

With that said, I also have talked to some current students and they seem to be very close, and sorta mirror that feeling I had with UF. My understanding is their administration is actually pretty good too and open to student input, but I have heard that at both places. I would go to both second look days, which should get a better sense of community and environments. I know Miami was really overwhelmed initially with admissions due to the portal crash, so that feel from the interview could have been more of a stint due to that situation.

Last edited:
From experience of friends at both institutions. UM has amazing surgery programs with, like you said, a lot of student autonomy, BUT I have heard the environment is bit toxic/competitive and ppl can be stuck up. At UF, no mandatory attendance is great and the friends I have there speak a lot on the support they receive from faculty, UM does not give this vibe. I think the interview day at UM parallels how they can be sometimes. Wait for the aid, UF is notorious for not matching, but if you get a considerable amount, I would choose UF, the upsides outweigh the downsides imo, and you will be able to match into a good surgical program. Great choices that just my two cents

I would vote UF. Both excellent programs and UM has the slight upper hand in terms of match outcomes, but I think that this is due to selection bias rather than a difference in prestige/opportunity. I don't think UM has a 'better national reputation' at all. They are hand in hand at the minimum, and I personally think UF has the upper hand. Given that UF is close to your sibling/family and that they seem to be extremely accommodating/supportive (given what ive heard from current students and what I saw on Interview day), I think it takes the upper hand.

Then again, I have not heard back post-interview from UM, and am WL from UF, so I am biased. Take what I say with a grain of salt.