University at Buffalo - Did anyone else get placed under Continuing review??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Plopper

"This too will pass"
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
lol, i mean WTH haha...i just don't understand

3.67 Overall and sci gpa with 20 DAT and i got placed in continuing review...(which i take as a rejection even though it may not be) It's not Harvard after all

Is this place just not very friendly to out of staters (i live in CT)

(and i'm American if that matters)

I have 5 interviews already, so i'm not THAT concerned, but i'm not very happy

Members don't see this ad.

I have similar stats as you and am also an out of stater (from Jersey) and I was offered an interview at Buffalo. I guess they are looking at ECs, LORs, etc., to make their decisions? I have a lot of dental experience, some research, and some really flattering LORs (lol), factors which I believed may have helped me score an interview.

As for disliking out of staters, they are a public institution, but in the last reported cycle they interviewed more out-of-staters (206) than in-staters (137), although there were 3 times the amount of out of state applicants compared to in-state applicants. (Source ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools 2008, For 2009 entry.)

Don't fret, because I'm sure with 5 interviews already you're going to get in somewhere, and unless Buffalo was your absolute top choice or close to it, it might not be a bad thing to end up saving the money you'd have otherwise spent traveling there. This is how I'm looking at the 13 schools who have chosen not to interview me at this point. :cool:

thanks for the reply...makes me feel better
....but excuse me lol :D

really i have excellent LOR's (and was given the highest recommendation possible from my pre-health committee), shadowing, letter from dentist (also very flattering), tons of research, athletics (hold the top scores in my universities history lol), community service...so i was expecting an invite, it just kind of side swiped me haha

good luck on your interview haha i'm sure you''ll do fine.

it's just it sours you to the school, bc you know that you are not their top choice, and that they think you are a second rate candidate.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the reply...makes me feel better
....but excuse me lol :D

really i have excellent LOR's (and was given the highest recommendation possible from my pre-health committee), shadowing, letter from dentist (also very flattering), tons of research, athletics (hold the top scores in my universities history lol), community service...so i was expecting an invite, it just kind of side swiped me haha

good luck on your interview haha i'm sure you''ll do fine.

it's just it sours you to the school, bc you know that you are not their top choice, and that they think you are a second rate candidate.

It sounds like you aren't used to taking a back seat in life and being "the second option". I got placed there too and I have 5 interviews, but i've accepted it =P

It sounds like you aren't used to taking a back seat in life and being "the second option". I got placed there too and I have 5 interviews, but i've accepted it =P
haha thanks for being so direct. and to answer the question, no i'm not used to taking a back seat. i am the personality that believes whatever you want in life you can get if you work hard for it. and to be what equates to being wait listed at a school with lower GPA and DAT hurts a little.
but oh well, i'm going to look at it as maybe they're not the best fit for me. only time will tell

When did you submit ur application?
I read on a different post that apparently this year they want to interview less students and maybe they've decided to halt interviews until after Dec 1st and hence you've received this letter.

maybe they don't want conceited individuals such as yourself

maybe they don't want conceited individuals such as yourself

Wow. Just because shes motivated and feels she deserves something doesn't mean she is conceited. There definitely are some conceited individuals on this board, but I wouldn't classify her as one of them.

I got placed on this today by snail mail.... basically a rejection i guess?

to the op, just curious what sport you played and what division...i've always wondered whether or not athletes get any "extra" consideration.

I got placed on this today by snail mail.... basically a rejection i guess?

Back in the day, I was placed on continuing review and was given an interview 2 weeks later and then accepted 3 days after my interview. It IS NOT an automatic rejection. They place applicants into this group who they can't offer an interview to immediately due to lack of short range interview dates to schedule and other various reasons. Again, trust me, it is NOT a rejection! If anyone would like to know more about the process they can PM me. I am very familiar with admission to both dental school and specialty programs and will gladly discuss privately.

Wow. Just because shes motivated and feels she deserves something doesn't mean she is conceited. There definitely are some conceited individuals on this board, but I wouldn't classify her as one of them.
It's not Harvard after all

Ah, maybe these particular adcoms found this in their application :)

I have been placed under continuing review since the first week of September. I hope to hear good news from them eventually.....after all it is my state school. :(

just got this, i'd rather get a rejection

I got that snail mail as well :-(
not that I care, but it is soo wierd...I got intervews from lots of better schools...

I'm not totally sure about this, but I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing. Buffalo has been interviewing since the end of September, which is pretty early compared to a lot of other schools, so I would imagine they have interviewed a lot of people at this point. They might just be waiting to see if their pre-december 1st interviewees who are accepted decide to come there or not before starting another round of interviews. Their class size is only 88 I believe, which is on the smaller side, so maybe they just don't want to interview too many people before seeing what some of the pre-december 1st people decide. Also, for those of you talking about in-state stuff, when I had my interview there they said they really don't give much preference to in-state people anymore like they used to. Good luck everyone!

Add me to that list....

tough crowd

Add me to that list....

tough crowd

WTF your stats kill mine and I got an interview there, granted its in the middle of december, but i didnt realize that it had such high standards. Wow you have a kickass AA and TS. Thats just messed up.